• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

Sure I'm very late to the party on this topic, but I am bummed that this tour doesn't seem to include the women.

Catrina Allen is the lone female registered at this point.

Women are treated as equals. The event is open to everyone.

I think we could debate this for awhile. Yes, they are being treated as equals from a division-based standpoint. But does it make sense for them to sign up when there is not a specific division?

I personally would like to see an event that is geared toward growing the sport have a women's division.

Catrina Allen is the lone female registered at this point.

I think we could debate this for awhile. Yes, they are being treated as equals from a division-based standpoint. But does it make sense for them to sign up when there is not a specific division?

I personally would like to see an event that is geared toward growing the sport have a women's division.

My comment of course is a bit tongue-in-cheek, of course the internet is good place for sarcasm. I have no problem saying women are not the same as men, although equal. We have a hard time with the difference between 'equal' and 'same'

Maybe it's not popular to talk about - but as goes with many things in sport, the men's group pulls in the dollars and eyeballs. No reason in the future not to add women's divisions, but if you're looking at a value proposition, it only makes sense to do 'One Division, One Champion' and put all the money into one set of events. There's so little money, at least to me it makes sense to put it to the biggest most productive use.

Last edited:
My comment of course is a bit tongue-in-cheek, of course the internet is good place for sarcasm. I have no problem saying women are not the same as men, although equal. We have a hard time with the difference between 'equal' and 'same'

Maybe it's not popular to talk about - but as goes with many things in sport, the men's group pulls in the dollars and eyeballs. No reason in the future to add women's divisions, but if you're looking at a value proposition, it only makes sense to do 'One Division, One Champion' and put all the money into one set of events. There's so little money, at least to me it makes sense to put it to the biggest most productive use.

I see what you mean from a logistical standpoint, and agree that, like most professional sports, the eyeballs are on the men. But I feel like disc golf is at a point where, if the goal is to bring in outside money, it might be better to be all-inclusive - literally all-inclusive, not just in name - and try to attract more women to the game.

I don't know if I'm alone in this or what, but I enjoy watching the top women just as much as the top men. Actually, I know I'm not alone in this.

I don't know if I'm alone in this or what, but I enjoy watching the top women just as much as the top men. Actually, I know I'm not alone in this.
More male players have a chance to develop their play to the level of the top women than the top men. It would make more sense to watch them to learn ways you might be able to handle the course from their perspective. Most of us will never be able to reach the fairway locations the top men reach on their drives. Of course, top Sr. GM men have the same skill level as the top women and likely would be even more interesting to watch because they use a wider variety of throws with more chances to demonstrate escaping from trouble.

More male players have a chance to develop their play to the level of the top women than the top men. It would make more sense to watch them to learn ways you might be able to handle the course from their perspective. Most of us will never be able to reach the fairway locations the top men reach on their drives. Of course, top Sr. GM men have the same skill level as the top women and likely would be even more interesting to watch because they use a wider variety of throws with more chances to demonstrate escaping from trouble.

I'm of the opinion that the very top women in the game have as much in the way of skill as the men do, and the difference we see in performance is due to the way the male vs. female body develops. Each are at the top of their game, performing at a peak level. I very much enjoy watching that.

Now, that's not to say I don't appreciate watching the age-protected male divisions. But in those divisions, while there is a ton of skill, the players are battling physical decline (as well as the decline associated with not playing as frequently as the younger players, in many cases, I assume). Again, that's interesting to watch, and I like to see how those players approach the game. I wish there was more coverage of those divisions. But, in general, give me the top men and women, not age protected. And most certainly give me the top women over, say, the 3rd men's chase card.

See my post above, it looks like there is a Livestream set up for Thursday.

Catrina Allen is on the top card Thursday with McBeth, KJ Nybo and Andeas Gertsch!

Thanks for the perspective. The noob hyzer comment was meaning to the playground not the tee though, it's one of my tests for course design, where would the noob hyzer go RHBH, LHBH, now where would it go with a raging cross wind. That kids park is the firing line.

My concern would be after the event, how many people will be out to play the World Tour layout and not navigating it quite as well as the top pros do.

Just basically what image does it set that the World Tour event has a kids playground on its first hole?

Ah - I get it now - makes a ton of sense. Yeah, the hole as they're playing it would not be appropriate for general players (it's actually more dangerous for noob hyzers than the regular hole!)

I haven't read anywhere as to whether or not they're leaving in the new tees; I know the baskets won't stay in these positions because the course is typically set up as two 18s, but I'd wager these tees are gone as soon as the event is over. I know that the park management has not been the easiest to work with over the last few years (there was a stretch there where no PDGA tournaments were held for at least 3-4 years because of $$$ issues) and I'd be surprised if they allowed these tees to stay.

And yeah - agree fully on the optics here. Though as a SoCal resident... there's really very few options for an event of this caliber that aren't on some kind of shared land. I could see a pretty bitchin' 18 hole layout up at Wrightwood in the mountains that would provide the appropriate challenge, I suppose.

One thing I will say that this layout has going for it - it is a true championship test of disc golf that can hang with courses like Nokia/Maple Hill/Winthrop. The changes Jussi made to the "Golden State" layout seem like good ones to me. Course management, power and accuracy, putting... I would be surprised to see many rounds even in the -8 or -9 range even if the weather is perfect. When I look at this layout, there are only 3 or 4 holes I'd expect to be "must-get" birdies for the 1030+ crowd (1, 10, 18) and even those have trouble lurking. Really looking forward to the video coverage.

Also - folks should sign up for a free login to the discgolfworldtour.com website - they'll have some special stuff linked there that you can't get otherwise, it seems. So far it's just the mobile caddy book (which is really phenomenal).

Thanks for the perspective. The noob hyzer comment was meaning to the playground not the tee though, it's one of my tests for course design, where would the noob hyzer go RHBH, LHBH, now where would it go with a raging cross wind. That kids park is the firing line.

My concern would be after the event, how many people will be out to play the World Tour layout and not navigating it quite as well as the top pros do.

Just basically what image does it set that the World Tour event has a kids playground on its first hole?

They're temp baskets and teepads, I believe, so that layout won't be playable. The Actual layout is not all that safe, either, from what I can tell, but I've never played it.

But getting to the Public Park/Playground perception: I'll bite...where should the DGWT events be held?? On the same handful of courses that already have NT or DGPT tourneys scheduled?

The rote criticism of 'pros playing in parks' is cheap and meaningless. Unless you've got major plans in the works for private or DG dedicated lands, it is what it is.

They're temp baskets and teepads, I believe, so that layout won't be playable. The Actual layout is not all that safe, either, from what I can tell, but I've never played it.

But getting to the Public Park/Playground perception: I'll bite...where should the DGWT events be held?? On the same handful of courses that already have NT or DGPT tourneys scheduled?

The rote criticism of 'pros playing in parks' is cheap and meaningless. Unless you've got major plans in the works for private or DG dedicated lands, it is what it is.

All of this.

But also, I find it very cool and appropriate for a tour that is attempting to really go big in a new way is starting their first event in one of the birth places of disc golf. It makes for a very pleasing storyline.

Latest posts