• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golfing Family

DavidSauls

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Yesterday my 6-year-old niece competed in the S.C. Juniors tournament. This ups the tally to 11 extended family members who have competed in disc golf tournaments (among my brothers and sisters, their children and grandchildren). I won't claim this any kind of record, but it is rather remarkable (and a blessing). You can imagine the topics of discussion at family gatherings.

Since yesterday included 3 players ages 5 or 6 in two different events, in about fifteen years we're going to be a force to reckon with.

Pretty cool. My 7 year old has been playing for about 2 years now, and my nephew who is 9. They were the only witnesses to my one and only ace, which was cool for all if us. I think/hope disc golf will be huge by the time they are our age.

If you think the adults in these forums are obsessive about discs, wait till the kids---with their parents' credit cards---start demanding the latest and greatest.

If you think the adults in these forums are obsessive about discs, wait till the kids---with their parents' credit cards---start demanding the latest and greatest.

My boys already do. Yesterday at the SC Juniors my 8 year old was looking through the bins and had a list of discs wanted. Then during the raffle he got to pick an item 4 times...three of the things he picked I had donated out of my stock. At least my other son picked things I didn't donate.

Just played in the Basset Creek open with my 14 year old. Only beat him by 3 strokes. He is coming with to play in BG Ams this weekend. I may have to break one of his legs to make sure he doesn't beat me.

My son got me hooked - so far that's as far as it's gone, although one of my brothers is a sometime player.

So far I've got my wife, both my kids, and as of yesterday my 70 year old parents playing. They walked with me for a round and wound up buying some starter discs afterward. Now just need to start in on the grandkids.

I started playing DG back in November and got my grown son playing. At first he just went along for something for us to do together, but I think he's since been bitten by the bug. Now we alternate weeks going to each other's areas to play. He lives in the mid-cities (DFW) and I live on the east side, so I hope eventually we'll be able to play all of the most desirable courses.

My daughter and son-in-law live in Joliet, IL and I'm going up there in May to help them finish out their basement. I hope to add a few courses to my "played" while there and maybe infect them with the DG bug.

Curtis

My dad, who is 71 has been playing as long as I have. All three of my boys play, five of my nephews and two of my nieces play.

My brother, all three brothers in law, my wife and four year old daughter, and a few cousins all play. My wife's uncle introduced me to the game and his son and two daughters play. When we have Christmas or any other family gathering, you know what we're going to do!:thmbup:

Thats good stuff. My cousins have been into Disc Golf since the early 90s but I'm the only one in my immediate family that plays regularly.

I was introduced a few years ago and have since got my dad and brothers hooked. We play at all family get togthers

I got my Dad and brother to try it. Then within a year a new 9 pin course went up in the park down the street from them, now it is expanded to 18. They were playing every day for a while, but Bro moved out and Dad doesn't play as often on his own.

I know the Hapner's in Santa Cruz, who go back to the 80s, and have a family member, Marty Hapner, in the DG HoF. The guy I know best has a son that has had several Aces on the short position on 12 at Delaveaga.

329361_4280276887459_1888520279_o.jpg

The family that plays together, stays together! My dad and his friends taught me the game, I in turn taught my brother and wife, and my wife taught mu daughter! I also played in a tournament a few weeks back where I had a father and son on my card, and the oldest son playing Advanced.

Lastly: at my Birdie Bash on Sunday I had four different families playing, the biggest being the Reeds of Colorado Springs, CO : three brothers and two nephews/sons. What a great sport, we play, eh?

Latest posts