• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

disc lost its shape after a dye

McGhetty517

Birdie Member
okay i dyed a pro roc sometime last week and i noticed the fight caved in a little bit. ive been told that a warm water soak or bath might fix it but im having no luck with that technique..does anyone know of another way to get the shape back to my roc. thanks

Don't microwave it. Find a bowl that the disc will fit suspended in, put it in the bowl upside down. Heat up some water and then poor it in the disc.

Must of been too much heat but I turned off the stove and even moved the pan to a cool eye on the stove.

Some plastics will warp faster than others, of course. Depending on the run/type of pro plastic, it may not be very conducive to taking dye, and so you may have been forced to get the heat too high and leave it too long just to get the color to take.

As a general rule, I heat my dye up to 110-120 degrees (I use a hotplate and a meat thermometer.) I sometimes take it up hotter than that, (like to dye a really dark black on a transparent disc, for example) but even then I'm not taking it any higher than 140.

Last edited:
Deformation on the flight plate of pro rocs (especially flat ones) seems to be pretty standard, pro plastic has less memory than premium plastics do. A little heat and a litle gravity always put things back the way they were, at least in my experience. I would not recomend microwaving, it has an effect at the molecular level on all kinds of plastics, and I cant imagine its good for them... The stunt I have used is to warm the roc in hot water and then balance the flight plate on a pint glass, let the weight of the disc put things back the way they were.