• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc market over saturation?

What's the reasoning behind this?

I would think that higher entry fees would lead to competition to deliver a better product and more tournaments, wouldn't this be a good thing for the tournament scene?

Well if you want a better tournament you play a B=tier instead of a C-tier, if you look at the infinite discs survey most people said the reason they dont play in tournaments are the entry fees, so increasing those fees are not ideal for the growth of the sport, keeping those fees low gets more people to play.

Kind of strange to me the PDGA dictates limits. If Joe PD wants to charge a $100 entry fee for his C tier, and it fills, why should the PDGA care?

I think 2 things are happening. 1: The market has grown by leaps in the last 10-15 years, so Innova, who all but dominated the industry 15 years ago may be losing market share to the newer companies like DD and MVP, but because the overall pie is much larger, it's likely they are making more money, not less. I say this thinking about the likely differences between Climo's sponsorship and McBeth's.

2nd though, as far as discs themselves go, it does seem there are a lot of overlapping molds competing for the same spot. If you are sponsored and trying to rep a product, that's one thing, but as a new player, I remember being shocked at the number of different discs when I was really just looking at a wall of Innova and Diacraft. Now I go into a shop and each company has its own wall or a rack in the middle. Are those companies making money? I'm sure they are, otherwise the shops wouldn't keep them stocked. Is it helping to grow the sport by increasing the "new disc frenzy"? I am less convinced on that.

How about a company that makes a Speed 18 Mini Disc? Oh wait, I made that! That's where we need more speed, because no one else made one.

Already been done:

Attachments

• puck.jpg
    puck.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 9
The fact is discs are cheap. Most people don't have the willpower to not try out something new. So new companies have a shot if they have a good product, manage their growth and don't go overboard. But it is still a business that could fail.

Same goes for new molds, unless there's some revolutionary disc breakthrough. A new name/stamp is enough to sell even if there are 10 other discs are basically the same.

I sold 622 MVP baskets last year, and I was only the 2nd top MVP basket seller. More than all baskets from all companies combined in 5 years of selling. Not unneeded.....yet

Lol. I wasnt going to even go there but ill just do this :clap: killed it.

I havent even tried and sold a few myself of all the models.

Well if you want a better tournament you play a B=tier instead of a C-tier, if you look at the infinite discs survey most people said the reason they dont play in tournaments are the entry fees, so increasing those fees are not ideal for the growth of the sport, keeping those fees low gets more people to play.

Personally, I agree with this. But the evidence suggests the higher entry fee events fill faster. With respect to the Am divisions, higher fees mean more merch turned over. Good for the TD, the merchant suppliers, and people who win those divisions. Not so good for those who lose, but those folks either haven't caught onto this yet, or if they have, they're easily replaced by another sucker.

Hence, I don't see entry fees coming down any time soon.

Competition is always good. Some companies won't do well and will go under, other bigger companies will either lose business to the competition or step up and make even better products.

The saying is "grow the sport," not, "let's keep it in our small close-knit group and never let it change." If there's a new company in every part of the world, who cares if they're basically just trying to reinvent the wheel? At least they're creating new options for player across the globe.

And more importantly - creating more disc golf JOBS. How many of us think about THAT all the time?

The saying is "grow the sport," not, "let's keep it in our small close-knit group and never let it change."
That's the saying. But FWIW, there are quite a few amongst us who don't agree with it (or at the least don't agree on the how to), and the reasons for that dissent aren't always self serving.

It may be over saturated and I think it does create confusion for new players. But most of newbies are going to stick with the top companies that sell at box stores. If we could get more mass market and box stores to sell DG equipment there would be more opportunity. But I don't see much hope for start-ups to replace the big names. Especially if they are just producing discs that are basically the same as the ones produced by many other companies.

But there's always the chance that some new company will come up with a unique idea (e.g. MVP & Vibram) and take off.

The market will work itself out eventually

Only so many discs will be bought this year and certain companies may not get a big enough percentage of the market to justify staying in business or we may find out that the market is larger than we believed or grows enough that some of the new companies can thrive, either way the market will eventually reach equilibrium

Real DG jobs would probably require more 'pay to play' courses, which the majority of DGers seem to reject.

Most reject that because of the quality of the courses. That's why I'm a huge fan of multi use ball/disc golf courses. You can have a top notch disc course even if it is an average ball course. Charge a smaller fee for disc than ball. Unfortunately there isn't any near me and I've never gotten a response from any of the emails I've sent to ball golf courses in my area about doing it.

I believe MVP has become the biggest employer in the city which their distribution center is located. Granted we are talking small town MI not LA/NYC but still a huge deal IMO for a very small community. It is the true american dream!

Dont take this for a fact but pretty damn sure i read this somewhere and dont tend to make too much stuff up lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts