• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Disc molds most affected by plastic type

MNTreekiller

Thought it would be interesting to start a discussion about the discs most affected in flight by different plastics(namely dx vs. champion, pro d vs. Z, etc.......)For me the leopard is a totally different disc with different plastics. A dx leopard is pretty dang flippy right from the start but my champion leopard has a very workable stability. With 330 feet of power, it will still hold a gentle hyzer unless I crush it after almost a year and plenty of trees..... Awesome utility driver. From very limited experience, Ive found valkyries to also be too floppy in dx but money in star/champion. What are your thoughts/experience?

Yep, dx vs champion is the most outrageously different for me. For a while, I had a Teebird in Champion and a worn DX Teebird, and they couldn't be more different in terms of stability. Star seems to be the sweet spot to me.

For me, and sorry for the repetition:
Leo
Nuke
Beast(Holy cow)
Slaidi
Avenger SS
Buzzz(Fould a Pro D that was more flippy than stratus or meteor)

The Avengers I've had in different plastics have all been pretty different discs. The Z was a great moderatly overstable driver, the X was a nice distance driver with a bit of turn and the D flew like a brick. It was very overstable but also pretty short. It was difficult to control and didn't perform that great into the wind. It's one of the most disappointing disc purchases I've made.

I don't throw much innova anymore other than fire/thunder birds (although my destroyers always had a big variation between the plastics) but with any company, depending on the plastic their molds will fly differently.. but then even colors sometimes mold up different. I prefer to always buy the same colors (red, white or blue) in all of my molds/plastic and i don't notice much variation from run-to-run.

I throw mostly Legacy at the moment and i have found...

Ghosts in gravity are much straighter out of the box, whereas Icon will have more fade and typically pinnacle will also be more overstable, and certain colors are just tanks.

Rivals in Icon are straighter and hold lines longer before fading, whereas i find most of my Pinnacle fades earlier, stuff like gunmetal Legend will be the most over-stable

Patriots in Icon start off very straight and hold turns longer and pinnacle starts off just slightly over-stable and resists holding a turn or going into a turnover as easily.. some of the Legend i have tried is also more overstable.

Outlaws in Icon are truer to the -1 turn rating where as legend will start out straight 0 HSS and resist a headwind more.

Rampages and Cannons have the most variation because they are such a high speed and that leaves a lot more room for error in the process.

Generally I know that Gunmetal Legend is the most overstable option in their molds, followed by Silver Legend, then Pinnacle, Icon, Gravity.. but there are exceptions between colors and runs sometimes

In my experience, fresh DX vs. Champion Wraiths and Leopards were pretty different right out of the box.

In contrast, fresh DX, Star and Champion Aviar P & As have flown surprisinly similar for me... But only for a very short time.

My favorite contrast between plastic type and wear is a beat DX vs. a new Star Stingray. A new Star rivals the stability of a Buzzz for me but a beat DX will turn over if I look at it wrong. :)

My sidewinder in champion at 168 flies more like a starfire in star plastic.
While my sidewinder in GStar at 175 is so flippy it has to be released on heavy hyser in order to not go roller. Soon to be my roller once practiced more though:thmbup:

Neither is in the bag for that reason.

Have an orange axis at 175 that is slightly under stable
...... whereas the eclipse glow axis at the same weight is more straight stable.

My Star Tern is a different animal than my Champion (both 175g). The Champion is much better at handling the speed I put on it and holds a straight line almost every time. Doesn't like to turn over unless I tell it to. The Star Tern will turn over almost every time I put some real speed on it.

My Star Tern is a different animal than my Champion (both 175g). The Champion is much better at handling the speed I put on it and holds a straight line almost every time. Doesn't like to turn over unless I tell it to. The Star Tern will turn over almost every time I put some real speed on it.

Exactly this.

Elite Pro XLs are straight with very little fade when new and every other plastic flies like an Eagle (more turn and dump fade when new).

Beefiness of newish C-PDs versus slight turn, less fade of newish P-PDs (Not to mention P line beats in way faster) to only mention 2 of the 4 available plastics (5 including Glow) makes for a lot of options with that disc.

Discraft Pro-D is whack compared to same discs in other plastics, especially regarding glide.

You could make another thread of molds that are wildly different in the same plastic (King, Starfire, Destroyer...).

Plastic grades affect all types. I will try to break it down.
A DX/pro d/base type or pro/x/midgrade type plastic will fly according to its numbers.
A Star/ESP/Gold type plastic will have 0.5 added to the HSS and LSF numbers
A Champion/Z/Opto type plastic will have 1 added to the HSS and LSF numbers
If a disc only comes in premium grade plastic, this rule does not apply obviously.

Beeeeeeeep. Times up, your all wrong, but thanks for playing. :hfive:

The correct answer is the Boss.
Ranging from psycoticly understable R-Pro, to ridiculously beefy Champ Feldbeards and Starlights, you can find an out of the box Boss for every need.

/thread.

Question for all the Wraith throwers out there. Anyone notice a big difference between Pro and Star Wraiths? I've been throwing this mold for many years but never owned a Pro.

It's the plastic to me more than the mold in general. I agree 100% about Leo's. DX turns over before you even pay for it. Pro takes a week or so to hit that sweet spot, and then holds it for three years. I still haven't gotten Champ to quite hit that sweet spot. I've beaten mine within an inch of its life, and it still hardly turns over and fades relatively hard (when compared to other plastics). I see the same thing with my Gazelles. I can turn over a DX one, but the Champ ones are far more stable and never really flip up with my noodly power. Also seen this with Teebirds and Banshees. Really any disc that I've thrown in DX and Champ plastics I guess. I think it's just the most evident with an understable disc like the Leopard.

Beast.
Seriously. It easily stands out to me as the most inconsistent mold over plastic ranges. There's a reason Barry has his name on the Champ ones. That's a good disc. The DX, Star, Blizzard, etc? Not so much.

Exactly this.

True... but they are advertised like this and aren't given the same flight numbers by Innova. Although the numbers could be even more disparate than advertised.

Star 12/6/-3/2
Champion 12/6/-2/2

My two longest discs, btw, depending on the circumstances! :hfive:

Question for all the Wraith throwers out there. Anyone notice a big difference between Pro and Star Wraiths? I've been throwing this mold for many years but never owned a Pro.

Most Innova drivers I've thrown in Pro are a bit more understable out of the box, and get beaten in pretty quick. Nice when you want to beat a disc in quickly.

I'd try to get some of the harder blends, some of the recent blends have been super gummy and way understable.