• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discgolf: A form of moving meditation?

Ok side question. How do I put in my years and courses played? and throwing style? I cant find that option....

Disc Golf is just a great way to have some fun & not worry about all of life's problems while your playing. Also is a great way to enjoy nature & spend some quality time with some friends. So I can totally see why it's a form of "moving meditation"

Zen and the art of disc golf

Be the disc
Nananananana....

I have said "zen and the art of disc golf" once before on here! :thmbup:
It's definitely applicable and I think this is a very interesting and relevant thread. I believe anything that you do repetitively to focus your intention can be zen-like and meditative. It's good to be able to quiet your mind and just do something without having to think about it.

Besides that I wanted to say that I have actually been thinking about this sort of thing recently. Disc golf is not only a great way to relieve stress, but it also requires repetition as a means to perfecting your form (kind of like martial arts). I think it's easy to clear your head out on the golf course and just find yourself in the moment. Over-thinking tends to mess up a shot instead of just doing it by feel and instinct.

I want to read Demon102's blog now that I know you're into these sorts of philosophies :D There is a lot of wisdom in Eastern traditions.

On the course, other crap doesn't enter my mind - I'm completely in the moment with the people I'm with and whatever we happen to be chatting about. During solo rounds, I'm about as chill as I can be. DG allows me to decompress, and is a great form of stress relief, as can be any activity that allows you to utterly forget the rest of the world in such a way that you're totally unaware of the fact that you're not even thinking about anything else, if even only for an hour.

cant delete posts?

nope - this is cyberspace. Once you publish your thoughts in cyberspace, it's just a matter of time before they survive you. Only mods can delete posts, and they pretty much only do that for violating forum rules.

I want to read Demon102's blog now that I know you're into these sorts of philosophies :D There is a lot of wisdom in Eastern traditions.

Ya I try to bring these ancient techniques of training the mind as well as some new ones and match them up with modern science with is basically neuroscience. Its funny how the deeper I go in studying both that they basically parallel one another and support each other and at the end of the day they are just great training for brain and body especially the chemical/emotional systems of the brain.

Ya I try to bring these ancient techniques of training the mind as well as some new ones and match them up with modern science with is basically neuroscience. Its funny how the deeper I go in studying both that they basically parallel one another and support each other and at the end of the day they are just great training for brain and body especially the chemical/emotional systems of the brain.
Very cool stuff. I was just reading some of your blog and it's pretty good! I have been meaning to get more into meditation but like you said, our American lives are always on the go and we never seem to find time to center ourselves. I used to meditate occasionally but I haven't really done it for a while. However, that will be changing now :thmbup:

It's funny, emotions are merely chemicals in our brain and it often times seems like we have no control over them. I want to work towards mastering the self and being able to willfully make myself feel better, as your blog says is possible. This is an important facet of life that we seem to neglect.

I need to come up with a personal mantra, though...

Very cool stuff. I was just reading some of your blog and it's pretty good! I have been meaning to get more into meditation but like you said, our American lives are always on the go and we never seem to find time to center ourselves. I used to meditate occasionally but I haven't really done it for a while. However, that will be changing now :thmbup:

It's funny, emotions are merely chemicals in our brain and it often times seems like we have no control over them. I want to work towards mastering the self and being able to willfully make myself feel better, as your blog says is possible. This is an important facet of life that we seem to neglect.

I need to come up with a personal mantra, though...

Ya I basically HAD to figure out how to manage my own emotions cuz as a kid I was just an emotional wreck especially with anxiety and depression. Psychologists and psychiatrists just did nothing for me so I just started studying pyschology since like middle school lol. Eventually I just ventured out into other territories as psychology just seemed lacking and I ended up reading all types of things on the mind until something worked.

Thanks for the compliment on the blog man! Right now Im doing research on the science behind fasting as Ive been doing it for the last year or so and its so easy to lose weight while doing it. The science behind it is just fascinating. Its an easy way to get lean and get healthy by doing something thats pretty easy once you have some discipline.

If anyone has any avenues of info on fasting please post them.

For myself, disc golf is a form of release and escape. Had a bad day, go discing. Had a great day, celebrate and go discing. Discing is like an always available mini vacation that doubles as a hobby that I continue to develop. I can not express enough how amazingly restorative one round of discing can be for me. Anyone else feel this way?

Thanks for the compliment on the blog man! Right now Im doing research on the science behind fasting as Ive been doing it for the last year or so and its so easy to lose weight while doing it. The science behind it is just fascinating. Its an easy way to get lean and get healthy by doing something thats pretty easy once you have some discipline.
Bump. Thanks man, no problem! I am going to start looking at your blog to see what I can garner from it. I am interested in your info on fasting. I have weird eating habits and don't always eat at the times I should so I think I sometimes eat too much when I finally do. Also I would just like to control my appetite better and learn how to do things better for myself.

For myself, disc golf is a form of release and escape. Had a bad day, go discing. Had a great day, celebrate and go discing. Discing is like an always available mini vacation that doubles as a hobby that I continue to develop. I can not express enough how amazingly restorative one round of discing can be for me. Anyone else feel this way?
Yes, yes, and yes. Disc golf is very therapeutic and is helpful in good times and bad. It's a great stress reliever and is a relaxed game of skill that anyone can enjoy. You get out in nature, have a nice walk, hang out with friends, and watch some discs fly. Plus it's a lot of fun to get your hands on a colorful new piece of plastic and throwing it around.

:thmbup:

Latest posts