• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Yeah, I threw out in the field a little bit today to give my sinuses some fresh air and managed a couple of 300'+ Ion huks. It was a good day. :)

Mike, that park job with the Wizard you had in your bag thread is sick, that hole looks like a doozy. :thmbup:

Nice, 300' with an Ion is great D.

I don't know why but parking that hole today brought me back to that feeling I got the first time I did something badass in disc golf. Just made me excited and eager to throw some more holes.

Yeah, I've committed virtual suicide a few times in these physics threads. :\

Here's another oldie but goody: Explanations of the Physics of flying discs

http://www.discwing.com/research/aerodynamics.html

This is by far the best resource I've found so far, if only because he actually supports his model with wind tunnel data. The Physics of Flying Discs thread is actually pretty good for a thought experiment.

The paper really isn't that bad to read if you're curious, and it has lots of graphs, but it was published in an aeronautics journal, not a physics journal, so it's a different set of jargon.

I'm grateful you helped me answer my question, but of course, none of this makes me a better golfer in any way. C'est la vie.

I'm grateful you helped me answer my question, but of course, none of this makes me a better golfer in any way. C'est la vie.

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:yeah... I too find that just because I learn a lot about discs, lines, and why technique works it doesn't help me to actually do it... well I guess it kinda does... I just don't put in the practice... I think I'll have to go to a chiropractor soon...

Well, thanks to this thread I am going out today with just my Buzzz and my Magnet and I am going to see what happens. I am looking forward to the experiment. I realized after I got excited about playing disc that I made the classic noob mistake and went out and bought a Nuke. Well needless to say I am not getting the amazing results that I witnessed on the youtube. But I think discing down is going to make a big difference.

http://www.discwing.com/research/aerodynamics.html

This is by far the best resource I've found so far, if only because he actually supports his model with wind tunnel data. The Physics of Flying Discs thread is actually pretty good for a thought experiment.

The paper really isn't that bad to read if you're curious, and it has lots of graphs, but it was published in an aeronautics journal, not a physics journal, so it's a different set of jargon.

I think Three Putt has some links to some similar journal articles or somebody's thesis or something. As far as not really helping with your game, it should at least reinforce the notion that throwing a disc well boils down to technique and timing rather than muscles. My advice is to go out to a field with some mids or putters and keep reminding yourself to throw smoothly with an emphasis on putting spin on the disc instead of crushing it out there. Once you get the feel for the hit it all starts to click. The best shortcut for that is to follow the directions in this thread: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19893

If I can figure it out, anyone can. :thmbup:

Wow!!!

BroD with 300' with his Ions?? Damn. If I didn't know him I'd call BS. Nice job. But now you got me all f'ed up. I have benched my Ions to concentrate on my Wizard skills. I was just starting to not miss my Ions and you go drop 300' glide on me. Damn you BroD!!!!

BroD with 300' with his Ions?? Damn. If I didn't know him I'd call BS. Nice job. But now you got me all f'ed up. I have benched my Ions to concentrate on my Wizard skills. I was just starting to not miss my Ions and you go drop 300' glide on me. Damn you BroD!!!!

Yeah, I google earthed it and everything, the farthest one was actually ~335-340'.

It really boils down to pounding that hammer, not too soon and faster than hell. Ions, Wizards, it doesn't really matter as long as the form is there. Stick with the Wiz, man, they treat you well inside the circle.

Heck, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts I could bring you up to my speed with a little work, you've just got some fundamental kinks to iron out. Once you start feeling the hit a lightbulb goes off in your head and you're like, "dang, why haven't I been doing that all along?"

Deal!

Yeah, I google earthed it and everything, the farthest one was actually ~335-340'.

It really boils down to pounding that hammer, not too soon and faster than hell. Ions, Wizards, it doesn't really matter as long as the form is there. Stick with the Wiz, man, they treat you well inside the circle.

Heck, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts I could bring you up to my speed with a little work, you've just got some fundamental kinks to iron out. Once you start feeling the hit a lightbulb goes off in your head and you're like, "dang, why haven't I been doing that all along?"

I'll take you up on that when I get back from my upcoming 2-week biz trip. Heading out to Buckhorn with my Wizards in a little bit.

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:yeah... I too find that just because I learn a lot about discs, lines, and why technique works it doesn't help me to actually do it... well I guess it kinda does... I just don't put in the practice... I think I'll have to go to a chiropractor soon...

At least now I can stop calling them discs and start calling them spin-stabilized axi-symmetric wings.

"Nice trajectoriy on that wing!" = "Nice!"

"The magnitude of the pitching moment on that wing is too high!" = "Oh crap, I shanked my drive!"

I think Three Putt has some links to some similar journal articles or somebody's thesis or something. As far as not really helping with your game, it should at least reinforce the notion that throwing a disc well boils down to technique and timing rather than muscles. My advice is to go out to a field with some mids or putters and keep reminding yourself to throw smoothly with an emphasis on putting spin on the disc instead of crushing it out there. Once you get the feel for the hit it all starts to click. The best shortcut for that is to follow the directions in this thread: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19893

If I can figure it out, anyone can. :thmbup:

Yeah, I found that page too. Lots to read when I have time.

http://sites.google.com/site/dgresources2/Home/aerodynamics/aero-resources

I've been doing exactly that - warming up with the hammer pound drills and tossing a pile of x-out soft wizards and my ions around a softball field. I still just don't have the feel for the hammer pound, but it's getting better. I feel the hit about twice as often as I used to - that is, maybe one out of 10 throws :p

What kind of flight are you getting out of your Ions with 300 feet of power? If I get a good shot, I can send mine about 200 feet with just a reachback - they flip up perfectly flat and straight and then just sit down at the end of the flight with no fade... it's a beatuiful shot.

What kind of flight are you getting out of your Ions with 300 feet of power? If I get a good shot, I can send mine about 200 feet with just a reachback - they flip up perfectly flat and straight and then just sit down at the end of the flight with no fade... it's a beatuiful shot.

They flip to flat, sail dead straight while climbing up to ~15' after about 100' or so they are at the mercy of the wind and airbounce up or down, usually completing the most subtle of S-curves in flight.

At least now I can stop calling them discs and start calling them spin-stabilized axi-symmetric wings.

"Nice trajectoriy on that wing!" = "Nice!"

"The magnitude of the pitching moment on that wing is too high!" = "Oh crap, I shanked my drive!"

Heh. :D

For those curious about Ion flights at high speed. That was about 325-330' with a very mild right to left tailwind. Thrown with some hyzer too as you can see. Hard to watch once it drops in front of the tree line but if you look close you can see it fade out a little at the end. They hold a pretty straight flight though, they're nice.

Try aiming higher. You may not be making out how much D you're getting for your power.

So my question is this - if, as some people have suggested, I should be working on trying to drive with my putters at full power, won't I eventually reach a point where I am snapping the putters too hard and constanly flipping them over, since I'm exceeding the "rated" speed of the putter?

If that's the case, how can you differentiate the flight of an extreme hyzer flip from the turning caused by OAT? It's not an issue right now, because I can actually see the disc wobble after I release it, but I'm guessing that a hyzer release with hard snap will flip over later and more gradually than an OAT release?
That can be solved with disc selection. Most of the beaded putters, and AFAIK, almost all of the big beaded putters have a "rated" speed that's so high you won't ever hit it. When you hear people talk about "true stable," that's the feature they're talking about. If your "true stable" putter is flipping too much and/or uncontrollably then it's OAT. If you're using a putter that isn't, then it can be hard to tell if it's OAT or speed. There are weirdos out there that can push Wizards out to 400'.

HUSH GARU!!! Don't let mike c read that or we'll have to forever live with videos of his "Falling Putt" and driving a putter farther than most of us drive... well anything...

(note: I don't care if its a falling putt or not, I wouldn't actually know, care, or have an opinion on it)

Ok, so isn't this whole discing down thing getting carried away with only throwing putters?? I get that once u eliminate the o.a.t from your throw, that putters and mids r basically easier to throw and even throw far. But what r we supposed to do with the rest of our discs? My understanding of disc technology is that drivers r supposed to go farther than other discs given a full powered throw. Maybe they require a different technique--nose angle, etc.--but they should have a place in the bag. Besides, if everyone just starts throwing putters, think of all the profits r beloved disc makers will lose in disc sales!! We can't let that happen, can we!? :D

That can be solved with disc selection. Most of the beaded putters, and AFAIK, almost all of the big beaded putters have a "rated" speed that's so high you won't ever hit it. When you hear people talk about "true stable," that's the feature they're talking about. If your "true stable" putter is flipping too much and/or uncontrollably then it's OAT. If you're using a putter that isn't, then it can be hard to tell if it's OAT or speed. There are weirdos out there that can push Wizards out to 400'.

I'm tossing Ions and Wizards, because I have a bunch of x-outs, so it sounds like I'm OK on this front. I'm definitely still seeing OAT behavior after about 150 feet of power, but it's getting better - slowly. :wall: