• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Ok, so isn't this whole discing down thing getting carried away with only throwing putters?? I get that once u eliminate the o.a.t from your throw, that putters and mids r basically easier to throw and even throw far. But what r we supposed to do with the rest of our discs? My understanding of disc technology is that drivers r supposed to go farther than other discs given a full powered throw. Maybe they require a different technique--nose angle, etc.--but they should have a place in the bag. Besides, if everyone just starts throwing putters, think of all the profits r beloved disc makers will lose in disc sales!! We can't let that happen, can we!? :D

Lol, yeah I can see how we can give that impression. It's important to practice throwing all your discs on all sorts of golf lines, not just putters. It's just that putters serve as a nice reference point for denoting people's abilities, as in it's almost impossible to throw a putter 300' with bad form/OAT. Really the point of DD is to not throw discs too fast for you and it's just convenient to start with putters and work up the speed scale.

Ok, so isn't this whole discing down thing getting carried away with only throwing putters?? I get that once u eliminate the o.a.t from your throw, that putters and mids r basically easier to throw and even throw far. But what r we supposed to do with the rest of our discs? My understanding of disc technology is that drivers r supposed to go farther than other discs given a full powered throw. Maybe they require a different technique--nose angle, etc.--but they should have a place in the bag. Besides, if everyone just starts throwing putters, think of all the profits r beloved disc makers will lose in disc sales!! We can't let that happen, can we!? :D

I've been talking about field practice.

Most people don't throw just putters on the course, except some lunatic who makes videos that make me feel bad about myself :p.

On the other hand, what's the point of carrying a wraith, for example, if it only goes 10 feet farther than a teebird, and with less control? After two years, I'm well past the point where I'm happy with par, I'm definitely not getting any better by just playing, and it's clear that my throw needs to be cleaned up - trying to throw putters at full power is the fastest way to get feedback in that regard. Make sense?

If i have to throw my putter on a hyzer angle when I drive to make it fly straight, is this because of OAT? or is this somewhat normal procedure for driving a putter?

If i have to throw my putter on a hyzer angle when I drive to make it fly straight, is this because of OAT? or is this somewhat normal procedure for driving a putter?

Depends a little on the putter, but for the most part this is normal. If you're not getting a lot flutter or wobble on your putter after your throw than it's a fairly safe bet that you're ripping it clean.

One thing I have heard before and it helps me is to try to throw everthing on a hyzer line and push it out further and further. I got my ridge on a 235' ~10' high very soft hyzer thrown just off to the right of the target about 7' and having it just gradually track back left to be dead on, and the next throw, I put a little more pop on it and a bit higher and I hit around 250'.

What I am working on when it comes to putters; and other discs after I get the putter thing down, is to get them a little higher as it seems theres still some forward flight left in them when they land.

Lol, yeah I can see how we can give that impression. It's important to practice throwing all your discs on all sorts of golf lines, not just putters. It's just that putters serve as a nice reference point for denoting people's abilities, as in it's almost impossible to throw a putter 300' with bad form/OAT. Really the point of DD is to not throw discs too fast for you and it's just convenient to start with putters and work up the speed scale.

Yeah, I would agree that putters r a good place to start. I could comfortably get my Aviar out to 200' or so throwing full power. But trying to get it out to 350 or even 300, I'm afraid I would hurt myself! I think after a certain point (different for different people) ur just muscling it out there. I just wonder why, if u can throw a putter 350, u wouldn't chose another disc!

I've been talking about field practice.

Most people don't throw just putters on the course, except some lunatic who makes videos that make me feel bad about myself :p.

On the other hand, what's the point of carrying a wraith, for example, if it only goes 10 feet farther than a teebird, and with less control? After two years, I'm well past the point where I'm happy with par, I'm definitely not getting any better by just playing, and it's clear that my throw needs to be cleaned up - trying to throw putters at full power is the fastest way to get feedback in that regard. Make sense?

I agree that some discs r just too fast for some people, and I"m pretty sure I couldn't handle a wraith either. But most people can throw fairway drivers, like the T-bird and get good results with them. My point is just that after the discing down, u have to give the drivers the practice too! That's where I"m at now...

So I have been out now two days in a row playing on the same course and only throwing my Buzzz and my Magnet. I realize that is a little to soon for me to claim good series but I am going to probably do it 50 rounds I think. On my first day out I scored lower then I ever have before and today I scored one lower then that. I am feeling far more consistent then I was throwing my Nuke and my distance is not suffering all that much because my shots are so much straighter then before. I do not know what it is worth but I am liking it.

For those curious about Ion flights at high speed. That was about 325-330' with a very mild right to left tailwind. Thrown with some hyzer too as you can see. Hard to watch once it drops in front of the tree line but if you look close you can see it fade out a little at the end. They hold a pretty straight flight though, they're nice.

Thanks for the video. Since you've clearly had success with both, what made you settle on the Wizard? I'm just curious because I practice with wizards and ions, but I like the Ions better overall.

Yeah, I would agree that putters r a good place to start. I could comfortably get my Aviar out to 200' or so throwing full power. But trying to get it out to 350 or even 300, I'm afraid I would hurt myself! I think after a certain point (different for different people) ur just muscling it out there. I just wonder why, if u can throw a putter 350, u wouldn't chose another disc!

I agree that some discs r just too fast for some people, and I"m pretty sure I couldn't handle a wraith either. But most people can throw fairway drivers, like the T-bird and get good results with them. My point is just that after the discing down, u have to give the drivers the practice too! That's where I"m at now...

Putters teach you to throw them high, b/c that's the only way you'll get any distance with them. Drivers teach you to throw nose down, and if you throw a driver high, nose down, it goes far. Putters are very finicky, for me anyway, even though I can throw them 300', consistently 275-280', it takes a herculean effort of great timing and fluidity to get them out there. My margin for error is much smaller for getting a driver to 300', therefore they have their place in my bag. Hopefully that made sense.

thanks, I'm throwing a champ Aviar, btw.

If its a Big Bead Aviar, you got oat, unless its a 150g or severely beat. Also if its the super gummy champ stuff, it can warp at the hit which may make it wobble and release funny.

One of the biggest reasons to start with putters, work with them regularly, or give time learning to throw with them is that they clean up OAT a whole lot but also they teach your body things that will translate to the other discs. If I can throw a putter 300' I should be able to get a fairway drivers to hit around 400'. If my putters only hit 230 chances are I'm not breaking 300 with fairways... or just barely cresting it. That is muscling it out there.

On my first day out I scored lower then I ever have before and today I scored one lower then that. I am feeling far more consistent then I was throwing my Nuke and my distance is not suffering all that much because my shots are so much straighter then before. I do not know what it is worth but I am liking it.

Glad you've come over to our side :) I believe this is the biggest advantage to the discing down process as your not just huking and hoping. Your making informed, conscious, confident shots now and your game will really improve.

To whomever asked about Mike C and his Wizards. He loves them. He has a several stacks of them. He likes them because they have a decent bead and have the best combination of stability, glide, and control of most discs. The Wizard/Ridge/Focus are all roughly the same with some differences in their shoulder, dome, and a bit of difference with stability. Mike likes the glide in the wizard that the ridge doesn't quite have, and he likes its high speed stability that the Focus does not have. He also doesn't mind doing a little searching to find the right kinds of Wizards because of Gateway's inconsistencies. FYI our beloved Dan Beto likes Green Pro D Focus-s.

If its a Big Bead Aviar, you got oat, unless its a 150g or severely beat. Also if its the super gummy champ stuff, it can warp at the hit which may make it wobble and release funny.

It's just a regular Aviar P&A, super gummy, I can bend that thing like nothing.

however, I don't know what you mean by "warp at the hit"

It's just a regular Aviar P&A, super gummy, I can bend that thing like nothing.

however, I don't know what you mean by "warp at the hit"

The gummy plastic flexes when snapped, so the release isn't always clean. You also get more power transfer with a stiff plastic. The P&A would need to be a hyzerflip to get decent distance, but is attainable with clean form. The Star BB Aviar or KC Aviar are a little more controllable and forgiving for driving.

But trying to get it out to 350 or even 300, I'm afraid I would hurt myself! I think after a certain point (different for different people) ur just muscling it out there.
While I agree that throwing only putters is excessive, the difference between a 250' putter throw and a 350' putter throw isn't muscle. 300' about where a person will top out with muscle alone and most won't get much past 250'. It's that elusive timing element we call "snap" that's required to get putters out to 300'-350'.

Putters also aren't very forgiving if you try to muscle them, which is one of the reasons I think they're a great learning tool. I love working with putters to try and increase my overall max distance, because I focus on the hit, snap, late acceleration etc., and the disc immediately shows me any release errors. Distance without consistency is worthless.

They suck at teaching you nose down, but they're good for developing clean form and control. They're also good to learn release angles with because everyone on this site should be capable of manipulating their putter in any direction they need, the same cannot be said for all the mids and drivers people use.

While I agree that throwing only putters is excessive, the difference between a 250' putter throw and a 350' putter throw isn't muscle. 300' about where a person will top out with muscle alone and most won't get much past 250'. It's that elusive timing element we call "snap" that's required to get putters out to 300'-350'.

Call it muscle or snap, u still need that much more energy to go from 250 to 350'. I would just argue that u would need less of a jump in energy to get that same difference in distance with a mid or driver. IOW, u will get a much better bang for yer buck from yer snap with those discs...That's my only point.

Putters also aren't very forgiving if you try to muscle them, which is one of the reasons I think they're a great learning tool. I love working with putters to try and increase my overall max distance, because I focus on the hit, snap, late acceleration etc., and the disc immediately shows me any release errors. Distance without consistency is worthless.

They suck at teaching you nose down, but they're good for developing clean form and control. They're also good to learn release angles with because everyone on this site should be capable of manipulating their putter in any direction they need, the same cannot be said for all the mids and drivers people use.

Yeah, I would agree that they're a good learning tool, but it just seems a little impractical to try to play rounds with them. Like I was saying to Garu, I think u get more for yer 'snap' from mids or drivers and I would rather spend my time practicing those discs. But that's just me.

I have payed my last 6 rounds with only Wizards and a handful of thumber throws just to not get overly bored. In that short time I have already noticed a difference in my throws with the Wizard. I have hit at least one long approach every round, and have hit any lines I have never hit with the Wizard before. When I get back home my Ions and other putters are hitting the marketplace. putter rounds work. My short game is not better, and hopefully after more time, more form and then distance will get better too. This is some good stuff.

I have payed my last 6 rounds with only Wizards and a handful of thumber throws just to not get overly bored. In that short time I have already noticed a difference in my throws with the Wizard. I have hit at least one long approach every round, and have hit any lines I have never hit with the Wizard before. When I get back home my Ions and other putters are hitting the marketplace. putter rounds work. My short game is not better, and hopefully after more time, more form and then distance will get better too. This is some good stuff.

Uh oh, looks like another putter only convert, lol. I will say that as most putters r truly stable discs, they r easier to put on line that other discs. And maybe they r more 'grippable' than other discs and inspire more confidence. Personally, I would just lose too much distance playing that way.