• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Thanks again for the advice.... after buying a lot of plastic a year or so ago I noticed how a lot of discs cluster up in the same area regardless of the speed... and that a majority of them were high speed drivers that I had used to compensate for being a torque monster. I settled on throwing Surges for consistency and distance as long as they weigh < 172g but I know I'm not really throwing fast enough for them... if only the new ones would break in faster like my first 164 Z Surge.

After reading this forum for a while I really improved my putting and technique with mids... un?fortunately I've forgotten how to drive anything big. I'm getting some crazy love with the Stalker, it's prime driver right now. Got two aces in a day with it and one with Voodoo. HATTRICK. Likin the 150 Eagle, 150 Sabre... and I got a Comet on order... I like the idea of pointing out mistakes in 70ft tall neon letters.

You made three aces in one day? You mother...err, I mean, congratulations!*

*I hate you.

Nope, playing the home course, well not my course but the Golf Island Disc Park on Pender Island. It is really short but technical, a lot of the baskets are at the 160' range or less and well guarded by trees. I just went out for practice and I was tossing all 3 discs at every hole, so yeah only one was legitimate first disc and witnessed but still that s**t may never happen again.

It was overwhelmingly good karma too.. I swapped sewer pumps for a guy that day and electricians don't usually do that but the plumbers wife was havin a kid and the other guy was busy and I just thought I'd squeeze in a round before I went home.... after I washed up.

Holy Sh*t!!! I think this stuff actually works. I have been suffering through the discing down adventure for months now. First I started using my Wizards to drive with. I could never get comfortable with the power grip on a Wizard. So I got a Latitude Spike and have been using that to drive short holes, and breaking out my Core on most others. Throughout the last few months I have been throwing shorter and less accurate than ever before. And then this week happened. The Spike has been flying around 200' perfectly straight with no fade. That's a real handy shot to have all the sudden. Then the Core started stretching his legs a little. First 200', then 225'. Today the Core was consistently 250', and on a couple occasions sailed closer to 275'. Very cool. I just keep the Teebird, Stalker and Leopard in the bag now. The Core is now able to cover distances I thought I needed a driver for. It doesn't like big winds, but I've got a Wasp for that. Now I can't wait to see if the Core can get to 275' consistently, and 300' not too far after. Someday I might even get to breakl out some of the drivers that sit in my garage. Maybe 350-400' isn't out of my range. Very cool. Thanks to those of you that put me on this path. I have finally started to see some dim light at the end of the tunnel.

^ That's awesome man, it's definitely helped me out. I was up and down big time in terms of D, I'd throw 350 one day and then struggle to get 250 the next. Now I struggle to hit 300 and can still get 350 with the occasional 375 on a good day. I still need to throw my Comet and Putters more though.

Discing down works...whenever I see my driving form go to poop, I get out to the practice field with Rocs and Comets. I get back into a smooth form again, and work to translate that back to the drivers. Plus, I've really increased my distance with Rocs, as well.

I have been alternating where I go to a short, tightly wooded course and use nothing but my Core and my ION. There are 2 holes at that course that are open and over 225' where I drive with them, the rest is more of a control game so I think I am going to extend that into a bigger course and get some more throwing in with them.

Also found a newish Z Comet I am going to use a lot.

I agree that discing down works to help you learn to develop snap so you can throw your mids close to 300 ft. and consequently throw drivers much farther, but I have found that if I am going to play a course, it is better for me to throw a few mids to get loose, and then throw drivers for distance to warm-up.

Anyone else do this?

Let me explain better. If I am going to play a tournament for example that involves a short course that can be played with mids and a long course where drivers are needed, I have found that if I start on the short and technical course for the first round, then go to a long course for the second round, I will play badly in the second round. But if I play the long course first, I will play the short tech course better and my scores overall will be better.

Warming up is crucial I don't get in the swing of things until I get through 9 holes usually.

Discing down worked for me, once I found discs that worked. I get really good results with a Comet for everything including tricky putts, an XL and an XPress, Though the XL is rated 1.5 it is less forgiving when released any way but flat. While the XPress I can really lean on and still bend an S with. My distance hasn't improved much yet with drivers maybe 10' though I get the same distance a lot easier. My putters are FLYING past the baskets on drives where I couldn't make it to before.

It's to the point where I'll take those three discs and a Rhyno out to play whether theres skins or not.

I actually just stumbed across this idea about 2 days ago when I was trying to improve my terrible backhand. There's a hole at my local course that's a virtual straight shot, then slightly left, perfect for RHBH. After failing hard with all my drivers on that hole on many different occasions, I thought "I'll just throw my buzzz, and focus on form rather than trying to whip it, and hope the glide gets me through." Hit metal, the outside of the catch basket to be exact.

I'm definitely going to have to try this with putters though

Warming up is crucial I don't get in the swing of things until I get through 9 holes usually.

Discing down worked for me, once I found discs that worked. I get really good results with a Comet for everything including tricky putts, an XL and an XPress, Though the XL is rated 1.5 it is less forgiving when released any way but flat. While the XPress I can really lean on and still bend an S with. My distance hasn't improved much yet with drivers maybe 10' though I get the same distance a lot easier. My putters are FLYING past the baskets on drives where I couldn't make it to before.

It's to the point where I'll take those three discs and a Rhyno out to play whether theres skins or not.

Man, Pender's such a sweet spot, I gotta get out there again soon. Though the course there is all pretty technical and short, ya? I've only played a few holes there, but I think I'd be comfortable playing there without a driver at all. Just take my Core, Fuse, Drone and Ion and I'd be all set.

I disced down this spring and have gotten my technique to the point where i can go back up in disc speed. The whole point is to get your technique so that you can throw a TB (or the equivalent) to 400'+. Once you can do that regularly, you almost certainly have the power and technique to throw the faster drivers. As soon as I could throw a TB 425' I was able to throw my bosses 500'+.

This did help me and I hope it helps you, BD. Good luck.

Daniel

So I'm deciding to take this training idea seriously, and I have a question, is a Teebird an acceptable disk to "disk down"? Or should I be throwing my buzzz and putters?

I disced down this spring and have gotten my technique to the point where i can go back up in disc speed. The whole point is to get your technique so that you can throw a TB (or the equivalent) to 400'+. Once you can do that regularly, you almost certainly have the power and technique to throw the faster drivers. As soon as I could throw a TB 425' I was able to throw my bosses 500'+.

Daniel

I have unnatural bad throws with distance drivers I guess. I crank TB's past 400 consistently but my Destroyers are lucky to break 430 on flat ground with still wind. I throw my Buzz past 350 easily, sometimes up to the 375' range flat ground, but when I try the super fast drivers I feel like I'm putting in way too much effort fighting their over stability and it's not worth throwing them. Practice time I suppose.

Lately I've been feeling like my bag was growing too complex and I wasn't properly utilizing all my discs. So today I took out everything faster than my Buzz. On the longer holes I had a harder time getting 3's, but overall I shot a lower score than I did the day before during a round I played for cash. I would of one yesterdays round by a few strokes if I played the same game I threw today. I realized playing from the short tees at Arboretum there's only 4 or 5 holes I need something faster for, but it was much easier to keep my Buzz on the exact line I wanted. So while I might of ended up 20-50 feet shorter at times, I was hitting lines better which made the game easier overall.

I think I'll throw this bag (2 magics 2 wizards 1 buzz) for a few more rounds, then add in a stalker and see how I do. I think between that and doing some drills in the field I should clean more form up some.

Daniel

Thanks man, I appreciate the words of encouragement. :thmbup:

Discing down has definitely helped and I'm still disced down and probably will be for a long time. I think my relatively weak grip strength is killing my timing and release point, so that combined with my already smallish hands probably means that the big boy drivers will always be outta my reach. But I'm getting better a little by little. This year I'm just really committed to putters and mids and only throwing an Eagle on really open holes.

The Ion and Comet, and now Fuse have really helped my game tremendously because I can really feel a good, technique sound throw instead of just getting lucky and ripping one every now and then. I'm also starting to develop a real feel for line shaping thanks to their neutral stability.

Something that I recommend people start doing is giving themselves "putter mullies," where if you think you can outdrive your initial drive with your putter you take a free crack at it. I outdrove my Eagle doing this once with my Ion by about 15', getting the Ion out to around 300' which is awesome but it also meant that my Eagle was a real sucky throw. :(

The other nice thing about discing down is that now @ Asheboro I look like the wily old pro who is nonchalantly racking up birdies with just a putter and mid in hand. :thmbup:

So I'm deciding to take this training idea seriously, and I have a question, is a Teebird an acceptable disk to "disk down"? Or should I be throwing my buzzz and putters?

Do like I do and think of your Teebird pretty much only as a Distance driver, like a Katana where you only throw it on holes that are so open their idiot proof.

But mids and putters is where the fun begins, you got to learn to crawl before you can walk. :thmbup:

Do like I do and think of your Teebird pretty much only as a Distance driver, like a Katana where you only throw it on holes that are so open their idiot proof.

But mids and putters is where the fun begins, you got to learn to crawl before you can walk. :thmbup:

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely give this a shot tomorrow

I think I'll throw this bag (2 magics 2 wizards 1 buzz) for a few more rounds, then add in a stalker and see how I do. I think between that and doing some drills in the field I should clean more form up some.

IMO I don't think the Stalker will help you much, it's fairly forgiving and a lot like a Teebird, I eliminated it as an option for myself and discing down for IMPROVEMENT, it is one of my favourite and longest drivers though.

Destroyer is a pretty big disc depending on stability, and the weight... don't know what else you've tried inbetween I'm not a TeeBird guy and I'm only at 300' so I couldn't tell you what the next best step up is, but a Beast, Wraith? or better yet a SURGE would seem more in line to me in regards to flight characteristics.. FWIW

Latest posts