• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Instead of the Rocs, I'll suggest Makos. The Mako is stable neutral, so any significant fade or turn comes from the throw and provides good feedback. They also help when learning to control how much fade or turn to put on a throw to shape a shot.

He's got DX Rocs so he should be fine. He could mix some Ontario Rocs (or Comets) in there if he really likes Rocs. If I was doing this over I'd get a bunch of Eagles and Rocs in DX for field work.

So I was going through my disc cabinet packing away old friends and collectibles, found a Disc a guy was looking for a month ago, searched my posts to find him and tripped across this thread...

This thread inspired me to disc down for a solid six months without cheating... I threw Comets, a lot of them found some old friends in the closet including this thread.... My time on this forum has made me a much more technical player and improved my game immensely.

Thanks Brother Dave!

After some field work this weekend, I've decided I'm going to do this over the winter. I've gained quite a bit of distance with mids and putters, but am inexplicably losing distance with fairways & distance drivers. I'm currently throwing Wardens about 225, and Roc3's about 250 (both from standstill). Here's what I'll run with over the winter:

2x Lucid Wardens (both 175)
1x Classic Soft Warden (175)
1x KC Pro Aviar (167)
1x R-Pro Roc+ (167)
1x Champ Roc3 (176)
1x G* Roc3 (179)

Depending on wind that day, I may toss in a Neutron Resistor to use as an OS utility disc.

After some field work this weekend, I've decided I'm going to do this over the winter. I've gained quite a bit of distance with mids and putters, but am inexplicably losing distance with fairways & distance drivers. I'm currently throwing Wardens about 225, and Roc3's about 250 (both from standstill). Here's what I'll run with over the winter:

2x Lucid Wardens (both 175)
1x Classic Soft Warden (175)
1x KC Pro Aviar (167)
1x R-Pro Roc+ (167)
1x Champ Roc3 (176)
1x G* Roc3 (179)

Depending on wind that day, I may toss in a Neutron Resistor to use as an OS utility disc.

Your fairway/DD losses might be from nose-up issues? The thing about discing down to roc-like mids and putters is that they don't mind excessive nose-up or height.

Your fairway/DD losses might be from nose-up issues? The thing about discing down to roc-like mids and putters is that they don't mind excessive nose-up or height.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I play putter-only rounds often, but doing it for an extended period might harm your fairway/driver game, due to the lack of nose-angle sensitivity. I would suggest adding at least some type of fairway driver.

FYI, I am thinking of doing this for about a month, playing rounds with only a few discs like this:

1x S-line PD (170)
1x Champ Teebird/Pinnacle Rival/C-line FD (170)
1x Lucid Verdict or Glow MD4 (180)
1x X-line P2 (175)

I want to focus on longer distance with slower speed disks. Right now, I am kind of stuck at the 350' barrier from SlowPlastic's great thread here, and have been for a while. However, in the past week a couple of things finally started to click, and I think I am poised for a break-through. My thought is that simplifying my disc selection will help me really focus on form changes.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I was going to say. I play putter-only rounds often, but doing it for an extended period might harm your fairway/driver game, due to the lack of nose-angle sensitivity. I would suggest adding at least some type of fairway driver.

FYI, I am thinking of doing this for about a month, playing rounds with only a few discs like this:

1x S-line PD (170)
1x Champ Teebird/Pinnacle Rival/C-line FD (170)
1x Lucid Verdict or Glow MD4 (180)
1x X-line P2 (175)

I want to focus on longer distance with slower speed disks. Right now, I am kind of stuck at the 350' barrier from SlowPlastic's great thread here, and have been for a while. However, in the past week a couple of things finally started to click, and I think I am poised for a break-through. My thought is that simplifying my disc selection will help me really focus on form changes.

I would also throw a neutral midrange, something like a Comet/Roc/Buzzz/etc. in there. If I was going to play with one mid no matter what the Verdict would likely be it because I can throw it on any line FH or BH and it can take a stiff breeze...but a good throw for me will add 15-20' on a Verdict whereas a Comet can go another 30' if I smash it, plus it has to be clean.

If all of your discs are slightly overstable like P2/Verdict/Teebird/PD then you can add 10' or more to all of your shots by flexing the discs a touch, but if they are slightly understable or neutral then you need to throw clean flat or slight hyzer releases and only higher velocity will get your more distance.

I would also throw a neutral midrange, something like a Comet/Roc/Buzzz/etc. in there. If I was going to play with one mid no matter what the Verdict would likely be it because I can throw it on any line FH or BH and it can take a stiff breeze...but a good throw for me will add 15-20' on a Verdict whereas a Comet can go another 30' if I smash it, plus it has to be clean.

If all of your discs are slightly overstable like P2/Verdict/Teebird/PD then you can add 10' or more to all of your shots by flexing the discs a touch, but if they are slightly understable or neutral then you need to throw clean flat or slight hyzer releases and only higher velocity will get your more distance.
Excellent point! I did settle on the following bag:

S line PD
S line TD2
C line FD3
Lucid Verdict
400s M4
X line P2

So nothing over 10 speed, and added some understable discs. Prodigy M4 may be my favorite disc ever, if calm I can hit almost any line with it.

Reading through this thread got me to disc down to a Leopard, a Fuse, and two putters for a few months this summer, but now I'm back to throwing my wide rim drivers. I feel kind of guilty throwing a 150g Blizzard Katana because it's a speed 13 disc that a lot of people would say I shouldn't be throwing, but this is the only disc I can use to birdie any of the 300+ foot par 3 holes on my local course. The idea of discing down really appeals to me because I think it makes me better in the long run, but when I'm out playing with my friends, my ego always tells me to pull out my Katana because I want to beat my friends *right now*, not six months from now. It's awfully hard to stay disciplined when discing down to improve your form.

Reading through this thread got me to disc down to a Leopard, a Fuse, and two putters for a few months this summer, but now I'm back to throwing my wide rim drivers. I feel kind of guilty throwing a 150g Blizzard Katana because it's a speed 13 disc that a lot of people would say I shouldn't be throwing, but this is the only disc I can use to birdie any of the 300+ foot par 3 holes on my local course. The idea of discing down really appeals to me because I think it makes me better in the long run, but when I'm out playing with my friends, my ego always tells me to pull out my Katana because I want to beat my friends *right now*, not six months from now. It's awfully hard to stay disciplined when discing down to improve your form.

Throw what you like, the only advice I think that is pretty necessary is don't throw the Katana on every shot. That may teach you bad habits. But if there are times it gives you an advantage, why not use it? And while discing down is great, and I think the best option most of the time for better control, the jump from a Leo to a Katana is massive. If you don't throw the speed 13 rim for 6 months, then when you come back to it you may have that mental block of "I have to kill this shot" every time you pick it up, or it also may punish you worse for bad nose angle compared to the Leo. My point is...no need to ignore it completely or prevent yourself from using it, it still teaches different things. Just don't lean on it when you shouldn't. But most importantly just enjoy what you're doing, there aren't rules for minimum distances....just guidelines ;)

Theory or Tangent?

I'm a bit of a MVP/Axiom fanboi.

Which of their mids will diagnose my form issues most like the comet (which I don't own):

Theory or Tangent?

or other?

Thanks to all who have contributed to this excellent thread!

Which of their mids will diagnose my form issues most like the comet (which I don't own):

Theory or Tangent?

or other?

Buy a Comet. Not the answer you wanted, but it's what I would do.

Rocthecourse is probably right. Comets are unique. I would post your question in the MVP discs thread for better responses if you want gyro. Do you have a Proxy? If just looking to keep form clean that should do and it goes about as far as a mid. It does share some Comet characteristics. I've heard Alias is similar to Proxy and is mid but I'd ask mvp experts.

Rocthecourse is probably right. Comets are unique. I would post your question in the MVP discs thread for better responses if you want gyro. Do you have a Proxy? If just looking to keep form clean that should do and it goes about as far as a mid. It does share some Comet characteristics. I've heard Alias is similar to Proxy and is mid but I'd ask mvp experts.

A fuse is pretty similar to a comet for me. I replaced the comet with the fuse actually casue the ESP comets are only special editions.

Theory or Tangent?

or other?

Tangent is your best bet. If you are discing down its a good option for many shots... I think an Alias is good too but I haven't thrown one.

Theory or Tangent?

or other?

This is tough actually. A Theory or Tangent will work but nothing MVP/Axiom makes has the balance of gyro and glide (that neutrality) across as many plastics and weights as the Comet does. You can get any Comet with some dome and it will clean up your form (even heavy Z's). What's really unique about the Comet is how much it likes to fade forward even though it has a fairly sharp nose, as opposed to blunt putters and mids that are prone to fading forward. MVP's mids are more shaped like putters or blunt, Buzzz-type mids.

I think a seasoned Axis would work well. When new, they're too easy to throw straight compared to a Comet but the HSS and LSS beats out of them and they become more neutral. A heavy Theory is fairly neutral but if you went lighter it might be too understable. A lighter Tangent should work too but it has a very putter shaped rim and putter shaped flight so in heavier weights they can fly like a 170+ straight putter, just with a wider diameter. Maybe a Plasma Tangent would work better, the heavy Neutrons I've owned were a little too HSS to feel neutral or float like a Comet.

Honestly, the best MVP disc they've ever made for this in my experience were the Ions made right after the 1st runs (the blue core/red rim ones that cost $$$$). Most of those 2nd run, textured, opaque Protons with the raised tooling Ions had slightly mismolded overmolds that sat too low on the rim, making them small bead. MVP "fixed" them by raising the overmold and exposing the bead so they flew more like Wizards, which is what they wanted. But those were so magically neutral and gyro that they really had that Comet characteristic of "doing whatever you told it to" required that you threw it correctly. I've been hoping that MVP would make produce something that flew like those (Anodes and Soft Proxies are both too HSS IMO) but I found it yet, maybe I haven't found the right mold/plastic/weight combo yet.

I think an Alias is good too but I haven't thrown one.
They're awesome but they have great HSS and slight LSS. I think it's the easiest to throw straight mid MVP makes but necessarily form responsive.

Last edited: