• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania Backpack

Yup they are over there we are over here. Is that hard to imagine? Grip did it with the a series.

Anything is possible but we live in an information age. The internet spans the atlantic ocean and their players do play in this country. One of them being Avery who is around quite a bit in the US. If this was a completely new bag I just think they'd have tested them even if only during casual rounds and no one has reported that anywhere I've seen. Now if it's just a rebadged grip bag that they were waiting on them to be shipped over or made I could see how it would be easy to keep hidden. Discmania players probably already have one of them and are just waiting on that day to start playing with it. Grip didn't keep the A series all that secretive. They said a new design was coming and put out an open call to testers. They only kept pictures fairly well hidden.

You may very well be right and it's a completely new bag. Who's making it though and why did they make it the same shape, same bottom rails, and same rainfly design as one of the most popular bags already on the market? ;)

79af6b3bc5b23131ace1d835c402fa444ebd7cfc574c6b040665280337e74d7e.jpg

Um. They have players over there no? It doesn't take tons of testers to test a design. Avery? Really? He is a big name to their brand but I could see him out of the loop on the testing to ensure a tight lip. There are products everywhere being tested right now we may never hear about. I for one sign a contract that ensures I do not speak about the products I test or face a sever penalty. Not hard to imagine at all. You have your angle I have mine. Grip may be it. It would be smart for discmania to use grips name here in the states. But grip doesn't need discmania whatsoever.

Um. They have players over there no? It doesn't take tons of testers to test a design. Avery? Really? He is a big name to their brand but I could see him out of the loop on the testing to ensure a tight lip. There are products everywhere being tested right now we may never hear about. I for one sign a contract that ensures I do not speak about the products I test or face a sever penalty. Not hard to imagine at all. You have your angle I have mine. Grip may be it. It would be smart for discmania to use grips name here in the states. But grip doesn't need discmania whatsoever.

Yeah I'm sure they didn't want anticipation or a buzz at all about a brand new bag before it went on sale. Cause profits and selling out are overrated. We're not talking about testing ballistic missiles or stealth aircraft and space technology here. It's a disc golf bag and you have to be outdoors in the open to do said testing. Usually on a public course. I'm sure they did keep their most well known and longest playing player completely out of the loop. :rolleyes:

Of course grip doesn't NEED discmania whatsoever but if they can charge an extra $50 for a limited amount of bags that simply have a new screen printed rainfly and a few logos on it why wouldn't they? They'll sell.

I already said a few times it's completely possible. Just using some common sense and logic though every single sign points to it being a grip bag. That's all. It's not an angle of mine. Others said it too. I was just the first to say that looks like a grip bag under that rainfly. I guess we'll figure out in five days and if you're right I'll humbly acknowledge you were right, I was wrong. :thmbup:

But grip doesn't need discmania whatsoever.

I lean towards agreeing with this, but I do enjoy all the speculation and would love for it to be a Grip bag.

From what I've heard there's not even a lot of margin to be made off of the wholesale price of a Grip bag, which is probably why it's relatively rare to see them being sold at most dg shops. Yet, they appear to be selling just fine directly from their site.

In my mind, the only way it would make business sense for Grip to collaborate with any disc manufacturer, is if it gave them major exposure with the less informed market - but that market is likely not interested in paying 200+ for a bag. Not only that, as much as I love Discmania stuff, they probably wouldn't give Grip the same kind of exposure as if they did some collaboration with say, Innova's branding. But as a fan of Discmania and someone who's been waiting for a while to see Grips restocked in a different color than what's currently offered, I'd love to see all business sense thrown out the window...

Maybe Discmania was trying to avoid speculative insanity and potentially angering customers with release delays and stupid quality issues. :shrug:

Well that's just silly European thinking and has no place on this forum.

Whatever is under that rainfly it has Grip clone stamped all over it. Which is not bad. They make a nice bag.

Grip was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the picture too. I won't be too disappointed, but I would like to see what the Scandanavians can do with 1000D Cordura since they are doing some great things with plastic.

The margin piece is where I'm sticking to it not being a grip. They would be wise to keep those margins to themselves. Not like they are making a huge killing anyway and to cut into that well we will see. Margins are where grip lives. No one is in business to give money away.

Not saying Avery is out of the loop. just saying he may be too visible to keep this under wraps. Only a few more days.

It does coincide with the timing of the Grip restock.
Just sayin'. I have no dog in the fight.

Actually, it would be kind of cool if they ran a unique color and featured the Discmania brand on a limited run as part of the launch of Discmania's US online store.

The margin piece is where I'm sticking to it not being a grip. They would be wise to keep those margins to themselves. Not like they are making a huge killing anyway and to cut into that well we will see. Margins are where grip lives. No one is in business to give money away.

Not saying Avery is out of the loop. just saying he may be too visible to keep this under wraps. Only a few more days.

Grip makes plenty on an A Series. I'm sure they have the margins on their end to share a bit of the profit.

And if Discmania foot the bill for production, or some cut of it, it's only a good thing for both companies.

Margins are a poor argument against it being a Grip.

I'm thinking a Discmania branded Grip with a new unbranded Grip soon to be out...something to differentiate between the two. An AJ branded Discmania Grip would make sense, which would just open the door later for a McBeth/Innova/Grip branded bag.

Innova doesn't have a backpack bag, and they're the largest company in dg. Grip is the biggest name in backpack bags, but isn't sold everywhere. Putting out a cobranded product would shake things up quite a bit.

Innova doesn't have a backpack bag, and they're the largest company in dg. Grip is the biggest name in backpack bags, but isn't sold everywhere. Putting out a cobranded product would shake things up quite a bit.

Maybe since prodigy is making they're own bags and taking a few of the people that were sponsored by Grip and making them use the prodigy bags. This may be grips way of getting back at prodigy by partnering with discmania/innova. Idk its just a guess. We'll find out soon

Maybe since prodigy is making they're own bags and taking a few of the people that were sponsored by Grip and making them use the prodigy bags. This may be grips way of getting back at prodigy by partnering with discmania/innova. Idk its just a guess. We'll find out soon

didn't even think of that, very possible. i'm really hoping you're right.

I contacted Innova to see if we could get any info on this bag.

The only thing I was told by one of my contacts was "It appears that the Discmania bag will be a retail only item. We will not be offering them. That's all I know."

So not distributed by Innova nor available at wholesale prices to retailers.