• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania FD3

Anybody throw both the doombird II and III?

Any major differences?

I'll add on to the comments on this

DB2s seem to come in 2 kinds
Domey or Flat(ish)

Domey are perhaps the most OS Doombird I've thrown.
Flattish ones (although the one I had was seasoned) was straighter...maybe Koling Thunderbird esque

DB3s are flatter and more likely what most people would want from their FD3. I didn't find the DB3 to have more glide.

In terms of Doombirds my experience would be most OS to least OS: Domey DB2, DB3, DB1, flatter DB2

I recently threw my last doombird 2 into the drink. Anyone have a spare DB2 for sale?

Anyone else throwing the color glow FD3s? It has become my go to forehand disc as well as a staple in my backhand lineup. Flies more like a beefy teebird or a Thunderbird than a firebird. Between the fd3 and the Tl3 I have the entire fairway part of my bag covered.

Anyone else throwing the color glow FD3s? It has become my go to forehand disc as well as a staple in my backhand lineup. Flies more like a beefy teebird or a Thunderbird than a firebird. Between the fd3 and the Tl3 I have the entire fairway part of my bag covered.

I really like the FD3 but I don't want to struggle to find a flat DoomBird in a decent color. If they made production flat S-Lines in bright solid colors I'd have a serious collection.

Anyone else throwing the color glow FD3s?

Yes. I love it. Maybe the glidiest run of FD3 I have tried. I really like it for backhand shots. I actually don't like it as much for forehands as my swirly S-lines. Usually if I'm throwing a forehand I am counting on a skip. The color glow plastic just doesn't skip like my other FD3s.

Definitely doesn't fly like a normal FD3 for me. I only throw FD3's for FH's (I'll use a PD for BH shots at that range/stability), and the newest CG run is too flippy for power FH's. If you can control the flip, they will bomb. I've hit 360' on mine, which is a good rip for me. But for now I've decided to stick to my DB3.

I use the Discmaniac CGFD3 both FH and BH
it's not too dissimilar too a domey CD2 (i.e. Roaming Thunder 1)...so I would agree that they don't fly like a normal FD3

I also use a random combination of DB1, 2 or 3 (depending on what I take out of my bins on a particular day) but with the extra stability these provide these would be more situational...spikes, flexes, headwinds

I like the softer grip on the CGFD3s and "easier" flight...I reach for it more often than a truly OS version like the DB1,2,3

I've got some of the Mobile Store Exclusive "first run" flat CGFD3s but haven't tried any of those yet.

FD3s obliviously became ridiculously hard to come by. What are folks substituting with? Raptors, G-star FBs, felon, something else?

I use a color glow fd3 as my 'feels like a firebird but flies like a thunderbird' disc. I'm not sure I can replace that with anything else... maybe if I beat a felon in.

FD3s obliviously became ridiculously hard to come by. What are folks substituting with? Raptors, G-star FBs, felon, something else?

Depends what FD3 you're trying to replace.

I had a flat, C-line that was almost ridiculously overstable.

I had some color glow FD3's that were very mellow.

S-lines for me were mostly kind of in between.

I went to the Felon because they are always readily available and you can get most levels of stability depending on the plastic.

I didn't throw FD3s much, but the ones I did were remarkably similar to the Felon.

I throw CG FD3s and they fly very similarly to 2020/21 Sextons, for me. Star Firebirds are a comparable flight as well. The disc certainly isn't a FAF Firebird, but I don't find them to be too far off of many of the runs of Firebirds out there.

Depends what FD3 you're trying to replace.

I had a flat, C-line that was almost ridiculously overstable.

I had some color glow FD3's that were very mellow.

S-lines for me were mostly kind of in between.

I went to the Felon because they are always readily available and you can get most levels of stability depending on the plastic.

I had a couple of stock C-line FD3 that had a slight dome and I could get them out further than a star firebird. Down to one now. They aren't used a bunch except for wind, skips, forehands, definite fight back hyzers.

Which of the felons do you find to be a little less beefy?

If you want Innova plastic blends, Scepter/Draco/FB all have comparable stability versions. Draco & Scepter are both run through the flat top process and may just be the FD3 or a Sexton FB mold.

Which of the felons do you find to be a little less beefy?

Well, I don't have a definite strategy for picking them unfortunately.

Generally I find the fusion ones to be a little less beefy than the rest of them right from the get go. I do have one fusion that is an exception. It is crazy flat, almost puddle topped though.

My mildest Felon is actually a glitter/metal flake lucid that filled in nicely for my color glow FD3. I thought having the sparkly stuff in the plastic might make it beefier than the normal lucid but that doesn't seem to be the case.

All of my lucid-x ones have been very overstable compared to the regular lucids or the fusions.

Latest posts