• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania splits with Innova

I like how they are highlighting the Italian plastic blend. With the way global supply chains are running right now, they likely picked their supplier based on ability to deliver as much as anything else. They almost certainly had a few different suppliers quote.

Would they have hyped Eritrean plastic in the same way?

Lol, also... Green must be the very cheapest plastic, otherwise why use that color at all? :|

I only know about this from one angle, but in recycled plastic that is true. Not that they are using post consumer plastic.

My old employer did plastic recycling for textile fiber and green was literally just the green bottles ground down with a bit of pigment added for consistency. They didn't like those as much because the only other colors they could reliably make were gray and black.

So in post consumer goods, yes a lot cheaper.

For discs? They get the pigment in a different mix than the bulk clear pellets so I have no idea why it's used often at all.

Attachments

• C2A1446A-0A41-4E7E-899F-0CDBDB3A4B35.jpg
    C2A1446A-0A41-4E7E-899F-0CDBDB3A4B35.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 76
I like how they are highlighting the Italian plastic blend. With the way global supply chains are running right now, they likely picked their supplier based on ability to deliver as much as anything else. They almost certainly had a few different suppliers quote.

Given what's at stake here, as you never get a second chance to make a first impression, I would think they picked their plastic supplier for the ability to deliver the platic they need to make a favorable first impression on users of the OL discs. Reliability and consistency of sourcing is going to be the second priority.

Merely being able to deliver some plastic "right now" has to be behind those other two priorities. They didnt have to make the announcement this week, they had ample flexibility to wait for what they wanted/needed to be delivered.

But sure, this is also "Rich Corinthean Leather" type marketing. It's not like Italy is famous for its high end plastic. Or maybe it is and we just don't know it.

Given what's at stake here, as you never get a second chance to make a first impression, I would think they picked their plastic supplier for the ability to deliver the platic they need to make a favorable first impression on users of the OL discs. Reliability and consistency of sourcing is going to be the second priority.

Merely being able to deliver some plastic "right now" has to be behind those other two priorities. They didnt have to make the announcement this week, they had ample flexibility to wait for what they wanted/needed to be delivered.

But sure, this is also "Rich Corinthean Leather" type marketing. It's not like Italy is famous for its high end plastic. Or maybe it is and we just don't know it.

I think you are underestimating how messed up supply chains are right now. Also not a matter of weeks. In manufacturing, you are placing raw material orders months in advance. That's potentially the difference between having the launch coincide with Worlds and launching in the fall as the weather starts cooling off.

I can't imagine they had a ton of options to pick from. I work for a large established company and we can't source ABS or one of our other most used resins in North America for the foreseeable future. Procurement guys are working to qualify new resin suppliers out of China to fill the gap until our regular suppliers can resume deliveries. Everyone else is likely going through the same thing outside of the largest companies who can dictate to their suppliers. A company just getting into manufacturing doesn't have that kind of pull.

Probably a plus that their supplier is based in Europe, especially to the European market. But also here in the US.

My prior assumption would be that all of the input plastic was sourced from Asia, likely produced under less strict environmental regulations than you'd have in the EU or US.

Although the "rich Corinthean leather" factor is there too. And I don't mind it.

Probably a plus that their supplier is based in Europe, especially to the European market. But also here in the US.

My prior assumption would be that all of the input plastic was sourced from Asia, likely produced under less strict environmental regulations than you'd have in the EU or US.

Although the "rich Corinthean leather" factor is there too. And I don't mind it.

Nah, European plastics are produced locally. Lots and lots of suppliers from Italy. We use local UK based manufacturers for our baseline plus some Italian for TPU (star/champ/gold line/opto etc) and our post consumer plastic pellets are reworked here. I would suspect lat64 use Italian pellets as that's where most TPU pellets are formulated.

Green makes great sense if you're the person selling it. Almost a guarantee that the consumer will lose it and then they'll have to buy another disc. It's almost like selling two discs up front.
Green sells well to certain areas. Depending on the flairs and fauna of your area different colours sell well.

Green sells well to certain areas. Depending on the flairs and fauna of your area different colours sell well.

Yeah. I live in an arid climate where green doesn't really exist in nature. Green discs stick out like a sore thumb amongst all of the tan and brown.

I agree - sending a vibe like the plastic is coming directly from the Ferrari or Lamborghini factories.

No way you would here "Made from the finest plastics of Kazakhstan".

They made them a deal they couldn't refuse...