• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discmania splits with Innova

I mean, that's what he would supply to factories, but ok. Granted, it was an off the cuff conversation and he might need more info, but I don't think discs are as complex. I can concede to your specialized experience though.

It has nothing really to do with part complexity. Just look at any video of an injection press running, and note all of the moving parts. Now think that plastic flashes (oozes between gaps) that are as small as .001" (3x thinner than a piece of paper). Realize that there are cooling holes drilled nearly the length of the blocks. An entire ejection system that has to fit together without binding, or allowing and plastic into the holes.

It's way more complicated than just two pieces of steel with a cavity on one side and a dome on the other. What I'm guessing he's (and maybe you) are envisioning is something similar to what you see Trash Panda run. That I know a shop could make for less than a grand.

*Ps....
Please don't anyone take what I'm sharing as me being combative, condescending, or anything negative at all. I'm truly just talking just trying to share what I know from my real world experiences. That's all! It's a neat industry, and I'm a geek for molds and injection molding. I enjoy trying to help everyone get a better understanding of how things like this are made!

*Pss....
Not saying anyone has or hasn't interpreted anything in that way, just want to get it out there!

Give me a Tilt not produced with Lat64 Plastic, yes please.

I've seen you make a couple to references to not liking Lat64 plastic. How come? I have trouble gripping Champion plastic and much prefer Opto due to the grip. While I agree that Champ is more durable than Opto, I feel like Opto is in the same category as Star with regards to durability. Agree or no?

Trilogy plastic flies on the numbers right off the shelf. When your used to taking hundreds of rounds to get a Champ Destroyer workable, and a Trespass is right off the shelf, I could see why L64 plastic could be perceived as inferior. If it's about actual durability, I don't notice.

i dont remember the last time ive met someone in the wild throw a dm mid

I don't think I've ever seen anyone throw Discmania aside from the PD (now rare, was more common during the hype/P-PD days).

Infinite must be licking their chops right now. I'm guessing the CD2 is next for them. They're missing that spot in the lineup.

Ps. Its pps, for post-post scriptum :)

That makes me think, maybe P.S. should be P.S.S. for post scriptum scriptum, the scriptum after the scriptum. Which would make it not P.P.S, but P.P.S.S, or the post post-scriptum scriptum. :confused:

If Discmania own the P2 name and now have split with Innova. . .will Koling be allowed to putt with his P2s?

I can't see either company kneecapping their respective players by forcing them to abandon a trusted mold from a legitimate partnership. What possible gain is there from NOT grandfathering in earlier stuff?

This. MD3 is okay but the micro bead wears out in seconds and then you a completely different, flippy disc.

I have an md3 that's a few years old, still has the micro bead and is definitely not flippy or a different disc than it was when it started. maybe you're throwing it wrong?

I can't see either company kneecapping their respective players by forcing them to abandon a trusted mold from a legitimate partnership. What possible gain is there from NOT grandfathering in earlier stuff?

If I were Innova no way would I let my sponsored players provide free advertising for another company that is no longer paying me for anything. They have plenty of discs to choose from. Every time Jerm throws a P2 it is the same as saying "this product is better than my sponsor's product."

If I were Innova no way would I let my sponsored players provide free advertising for another company that is no longer paying me for anything. They have plenty of discs to choose from. Every time Jerm throws a P2 it is the same as saying "this product is better than my sponsor's product."

I hope he's putting Fireflies at Worlds :popcorn:

It is his sponsors product. Says so right on the bottom, I believe. I can't get on board with that argument if it was fine before. We could split hairs and say that Innova players can't throw something that says Discmania on it, but that's easily remedied.

It is his sponsors product. Says so right on the bottom, I believe. I can't get on board with that argument if it was fine before. We could split hairs and say that Innova players can't throw something that says Discmania on it, but that's easily remedied.

It's different now though. The two companies are no longer in partnership. Before, Discmania sales still benefitted Innova. They no longer will, therefore, no reason to think Innova will allow it. It's no different now than thinking they would allow Ricky to switch back to harps.

This. MD3 is okay but the micro bead wears out in seconds and then you a completely different, flippy disc.
F..... I've been trying to get this C Line to wear in since last fall. It's been a royal pain in my ass.

Guess I need to land in the street more often?

It's different now though. The two companies are no longer in partnership. Before, Discmania sales still benefitted Innova. They no longer will, therefore, no reason to think Innova will allow it. It's no different now than thinking they would allow Ricky to switch back to harps.

Respectfully disagree. Innova literally made the product. At most, I could see a grace period for players to need to make a switch to a current "branded" product. Demanding that your employees switch equipment the week of Worlds seems like a pretty poor model to me. If anything, I would posit that Discmania has more to lose (business wise) with their team (Eagle/Max) throwing Innova than vice versa. This all could be much ado about nothing, or perhaps I have a bad read on the situation, but for Innova to say that "You can't throw a disc with our name on it." seems hard to believe or rationalize.

Latest posts