• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Thread (Part II)

There have been a lot of comparisons to the stock s-line DD1 and the Grace and Wraith. I picked up an orbit Grace a while back and it's such a nice flier; at about 420' at sea level, it rides dead straight from a shallow hyzer and has a good fade at the end.

I want to get a stock run Grace, but my local shop is out of stock. They did just get a bunch of the new DD1 in, though. I'm a little impatient (and like trying new discs), so would a lighter weight DD1 mimic a stock run Grace well enough?

I have two Horizon DD1 and they are very similar to the grace. I haven't thrown a stock S-line, but they look more stable in videos I've watched. I'd compare wing height, not weights. Take one of your graces in and set it side by side with all the DD1 to find a similar wing height.

I have two Horizon DD1 and they are very similar to the grace. I haven't thrown a stock S-line, but they look more stable in videos I've watched. I'd compare wing height, not weights. Take one of your graces in and set it side by side with all the DD1 to find a similar wing height.

I suppose the molds are similar enough that the wings would be telling...I tend to lean away from comparing wings on two different molds, but it's worth a shot. Thanks for the rec!

Got out there today..
For some reason I had a grace instead of my CD3 in the bag so it's not a shot for shot comparison; also I chose a pretty wooded course with only a few distance driver throws but I'll do my best for now to explain them.

Feel-wise: I would say these feel closer to a wraith in hand, slightly more distance driver feel, whereas the CD3 feels much more like a tweener between control and distance. That being said they do feel great, slight pop-top dome, feels like the want to go fast.

Flight: More stable than I thought they would be out of the box. They flew fast, but I was not getting any turn on them with a flat release, the fade also seemed pretty minimal. Not throwing any of my discs very far right now, but I was getting the DD3s to about 330ft on wooded lines

The longest straight hole I let the DD1 rip and it went straight for 80% of the flight, then had a mellow fade. The grace on the same throw had turn and hit a tree (8 feet up) the same distance as the DD1 landed -- so the grace would have outdrove the DD1 by at least 45 feet I would guess. If I had the CD3 with me I think it would have a closer flight to the Grace, my CD3 has turn when thrown flat.

Overall I think this thing is going to beat in to be an absolute bomber, It feels glidier, and I like the feel of it more than both the CD3 and the Grace.

I would give the DD1: 11, 5, 0, 2 | CD3 10.5, 5, -1.5, 2 | Grace 10.5, 4, -1, 2.

Why is prototype the biggest word on that stamp? Kinda ruins the stamp for me, especially since it couldn't be wiped off without removing everything.

Interested to see how this compares to the similar Westside Anvil/DD Justice molds Thomas has designed in the past with similar rims. Rim width is pretty thick so it should be a couple steps faster than the Mutant/Razor Claw/Tactic.

Why is prototype the biggest word on that stamp? Kinda ruins the stamp for me, especially since it couldn't be wiped off without removing everything.

Interested to see how this compares to the similar Westside Anvil/DD Justice molds Thomas has designed in the past with similar rims. Rim width is pretty thick so it should be a couple steps faster than the Mutant/Razor Claw/Tactic.

Agree. I want the mold name to be the largest writing. Not the line. Not the plastic. Ok if a player's name is larger. I throw the Horizon DD1 and someone finds my disc, "is this your Stratosphere?' No. No, it's not. It's a DD1. That word should be tiny.

I really want it to be Nikko Anvil flat. That was my bread and butter before going all DM. The Mutant is great too but I prefer the no bead steep wing flat top combo

MD5 profile looks awesome!

CCGNazV.jpeg

Completely different disc, same name.

Happy to see they're carrying on some classic Innova traditions, even after separating from them.

Latest posts