• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] discraft elite pro xl

Wow that is... shocking. If my wife did that part of me would be incredibly mad, but part of me would praise her ingenuity for actually coming up with some money. However, if that sale was accompanied by a new purse and shoes...

Not so much.
We had this period of time where I worked days and she worked nights so somebody would always be home with the kids. We had one day a week where we were both home all day and I almost never golfed because my wife doesn't golf and I only saw her one day a week. So she decided that I must have lost interest in golfing since I never went and if I wasn't going to golf anymore there were 500 discs in the basement we could throw on ebay. She put quite a dent in them before I caught on.

In her defense at the time we were scrambling trying to make a buck. It was kind of irresponsible for me to sit on a bunch of golf discs when the finances were that tight. We eventually decided to dump the rat race, move to a small town and downsize. Fortunately we did that before the housing market crashed and made some decent money off the old house. Now our house payment is less than half of what it was, my wife doesn't have to work, and I don't have an hour and a half one-way commute to work. Which also means I have time to golf and bitch about all the discs that were sold on ebay. Such is life.

I agree with those who said this plastic was very grippy and durable. I loved mine and sold all but the first one I bought when I got married. I have shelved it due to the fact that the newer XL's don't feel anything like it and I don't want to lose it.

Since were talking about xl plastic, I have a few that I don't know the plastic type.
Black 13th canada America finals '98
white voight team discraft us tour 98
I love xls but I have a hard time choosing which ones to go in the bag. Out of the six I rotate they're all different- granted they range from d to flat z

WHY THEY NO MAKE ELITE PRO PLASTIC ANYMORE!?

I love these. Anybody have any for sale?

Attachments

• 103_0788.jpg
    103_0788.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 42
First of all, sorry for the necrobump.

I was out playing a wooded course today. On one of the holes I shanked my Spark and had to spend 30-40 minutes in heavy rough trying to find my beloved soldier again, and during that time I found a couple of other discs. One was a 2x Leopard, not very exciting. But the other disc I found was a Discraft Elite Pro XL. I had never heard about this elite pro blend before, nor did I know much about the XL. At first the plastic felt like a low quality midgrade, but after giving the disc a good washdown with dish detergent the feel changed. Now the plastic blend feels a lot like my old Jackal stamped Discmania sFD. Semi soft, tons of grip. The disc didn't have the embossed discraft logo inside the rim, instead it had tooling across the underside of the flight plate reading 'Discraft inc. walled lake mi 48390 - Licensed under patent no 4568297'. Apparenly there are patent number Discraft discs out there.

My question is how old is this plastic/disc?

Somewhere in the 90's. That there disc had the world distance record at one point.

I have about 6 or 7 First Run Elite Pro XLs and they are by far my favorite plastic blend. They are durable and have great grip. I normally keep one in the bag for rounds that may have rain because the grip is still there even when wet.

The X2 was the first Elite Pro disc, so you just have to look up that approval date to know when they started selling it. The XL came out like a month later, so it works as well. I'm too lazy to look, going to guess Spring of '98 from memory.

It was only out for maybe three years before it was replaced by Elite X. Somewhere around 2001 as I recall.

The X2 was the first Elite Pro disc, so you just have to look up that approval date to know when they started selling it. The XL came out like a month later, so it works as well. I'm too lazy to look, going to guess Spring of '98 from memory.

It was only out for maybe three years before it was replaced by Elite X. Somewhere around 2001 as I recall.

Mindblown.gif

I had no idea that the X2 was before the XL. I always assumed the opposite. I just now realized the X2 was the sequel to the Xclone, not the XL.

The disc didn't have the embossed discraft logo inside the rim, instead it had tooling across the underside of the flight plate reading 'Discraft inc. walled lake mi 48390 - Licensed under patent no 4568297'. Apparenly there are patent number Discraft discs out there.

Three Putt handled the question about the plastic/age, I'll address the patent number thing. Up until around 2004, Innova held the patent for beveled-edged golf discs (#4568297). Any discs produced by companies other than Innova did so under a license granted to them by Innova. So companies like Discraft were required to print the "licensed under" stuff on every disc they made, as well as pay Innova royalty for every one they sold.

Once the patent expired, companies were no longer required to acknowledge the patent nor pay royalties. It's one of the biggest reasons that the number of manufacturers has exploded since that time: they're no longer beholden to Innova to get permission to produce discs.

Mindblown.gif

I had no idea that the X2 was before the XL. I always assumed the opposite. I just now realized the X2 was the sequel to the Xclone, not the XL.

the x2 was a great disc. a longer wasp in my opinion a stalker os as it were. wish they were still made or discraft would run a retro line so i could by a dozen.

Mindblown.gif

It was funny; Millennium came out I think in late '95 and the early KC Pro drivers (think Pro plastic) came out in late '96/early '97. It was a slow burn, though. No Internet. Word of mouth stuff. I didn't even hear about the new plastic until the summer of '97, and I was selling golf discs.

Wholesaler: "Oh, by the way...have you heard about the KC Pro line?"

Me: "Uh...since you are my disc guy and this is the first time you have mentioned it, no." :|

It turns out that since we were not stocking anything but base plastic discs he assumed we didn't want any of the more expensive discs. He mentioned them to me when I ordered a bunch of glow discs.

Discraft slid in there with Elite Pro and the X2. By then I was on a better wavelength with my vendor so we got them right away. They were selling OK. Stokely broke the distance record with an XL right after it was released. Suddenly the slow burn was over. You couldn't keep and XL in the shop. Whatever word of mouth that was slowly moving Polaris LS's must have speed up X 100 when Stokely broke that record. That was when all of the Millennium/KC Pro discs started to sell like hotcakes. Any hesitation disc golfers might have had to paying an extra $3 for a golf disc disappeared when Stokely bombed that XL.

Anyway...If you look at a Cyclone and an X2, the X2 has a very similar wing characteristic to a Cyclone. The X-Clone is a modified Cyclone mold, so it has a lot of the same features. They all are old-school beaded wing drivers. The XL was where Discraft went to the modern driver design.

That is partly why my mind is blown, because I never realized that the X2 was way more similar to a cyclone than an XL.

In my hazy recollection the Tourny Pro plastic was basically the same as elite pro right?