• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft thinning the heard

While this could be a whole other thread, I wonder what folks think could be thinned from Innova's herd.

Putters: Aero, Birdie, Hydra, Sonic
Mids: Atlas, Coyote, Cro, Kite, Skeeter, Spider, Wolf
Fairways: Archangel, Cheetah, Teebird+, Whippet
Drivers: Groove, SL, TeeDevil, TeeRex, Vulcan, X-Caliber

Sorry for stepping on any toes.

Not the Coyote and Cro !

Get off my toes!

While this could be a whole other thread, I wonder what folks think could be thinned from Innova's herd.

Innova has already been cutting back. The Star SL is already OOP, which is why the Val 4x commemorative was so welcomed by me and other SL throwers. They still have the Pro Starfire-L, though.

Innova is already cutting back on all the L-Series discs, from what I understand. And a number of their molds are either Proshop specials (especially in some plastics) or going OOP.

Discraft just did a mass extinction, rather than stringing it out as Innova does. Ergo, the shock to our systems on the Discraft discs...

And yes, that atrocity the GROOVE and its cousin the MONARCH should meet a timely demise forthwith...

So they're completely dropping the XS? Can't say I'm surprised. The Z-Line XS used to be one of the sweetest flying discs ever made, but somewhere along the way they screwed it up big time. I've never seen a circle stamp fly half as well as one of the older small stamps. It was my favorite disc ever made, but I wouldn't throw a current run if they gave it to me for free.

Wait, the Pulse was still IN production? Well I never...

Innova has already been cutting back. The Star SL is already OOP, which is why the Val 4x commemorative was so welcomed by me and other SL throwers. They still have the Pro Starfire-L, though.

Innova is already cutting back on all the L-Series discs, from what I understand. And a number of their molds are either Proshop specials (especially in some plastics) or going OOP.

Discraft just did a mass extinction, rather than stringing it out as Innova does. Ergo, the shock to our systems on the Discraft discs...

And yes, that atrocity the GROOVE and its cousin the MONARCH should meet a timely demise forthwith...

I am pretty sure the whippet x is only offered in the proshop in dx and maybe still in star. I bought star one few years ago with the old school circle stamp. Didn't know the pro SL was still in production I thought they dropped it with the star SL always learning something new here.��

I am pretty sure the whippet x is only offered in the proshop in dx and maybe still in star. I bought star one few years ago with the old school circle stamp. Didn't know the pro SL was still in production I thought they dropped it with the star SL always learning something new here.��

Yep, the Starfire in Pro plastic is really the SL. I've got some F2 Pro SLs, but very much prefer the Star SL.

Retiring molds that don't sell makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why they've yet to create a blend(s) of base plastic that is as well recieved as what Gateway makes.

Teerex already is oop. They just have a ton still for sale.

Retiring molds that don't sell makes sense. What doesn't make sense is why they've yet to create a blend(s) of base plastic that is as well recieved as what Gateway makes.
Have you tried jawbreaker? It's nice. Not gateway nice, but I like it a lot. I want a buzzz in it, but can't bring myself to pay for the memorial one.

Agree with all these except the Vulcan and Xcaliber. The Xcal is one of the best overstable drivers on the market. I suppose it is a tad redundant with the Ape around, but I'm a huge fan of the Xcal.

The Vulcan is a squirly disc, but it also is probably the longest disc Innova makes at this point. I haven't thrown anything that keeps up in sheer distance. Little flippy to be consistent.

I wholeheartedly support booting the Groove. Why they even still make it is beyond me. I'd go ahead and toss the Monarch too. As well as the Viking.

Innova drivers I'd boot:

Groove
Monarch
Katana- ridiculously inconsistent disc. Should have been way better than it is.
Archon
Viking
Archangel- just a horrible disc
FL- if they haven't already
Teedevil- redundant. Too much like a Destroyer
Roadrunner- too much like the Sidewinder
Dominator
Beast L- if they haven't already. X mold is far better.
Cheetah or Gazelle. Keep one. Don't need both. They're interchangeable.
Monster- I could be wrong on this one. Does anyone still throw it? Not popular at all around here.

I'm open to arguments on this. These are just the discs I feel are lacking in Innova's lineup. Or redundant. Innova is the king of making 4 discs that are the same speed and fly the same.

Drone- replacement Buzzz OS
Hornet- Replacement Wasp/Undertaker/Zombee
Tracker- replacement Undertaker
XL- replacement Thrasher/Heat/Matis
XS- replacement Thrasher/Undertaker/Mantis
Avenger- Only one that doesn't really have fit, but most people either went up to a force/surge or down to a pred/undertaker

Mmmmmmmmm.... They have nothing similar to a hornet. It's a good disc with no real replacement. At the same time, it is sort of an unnecessary spot that wouldn't be super useful in many people's bags. It's also pretty darn inconsistent from disc to disc.

Still a good disc though. True to what was said earlier, it's a great fast and overstable mid to pair with fast putters or slooooow fairways, and significantly more overstable than a wasp if you can find flat, decently molded ones. Loved the zsp feel on those suckers.

And the drone? Wow.

Disappoint.

Yep, the Starfire in Pro plastic is really the SL. I've got some F2 Pro SLs, but very much prefer the Star SL.

I realize the pro starfire is the same as the star Sl have 3 sitting in boxes. But when they stop making the star SL though they also stop making the pro SL.IF I remember correctly I think banshee's are only prostore now too. As long as they don't dump the leopard and Valkyrie but I think I have enough to outlast my arm/body. I want the x predator and pro D reaper brought back I don't have enough of these to last until my body fails�� And when did they stop making the whippet L the one I liked?

Have you tried jawbreaker? It's nice. Not gateway nice, but I like it a lot. I want a buzzz in it, but can't bring myself to pay for the memorial one.

Hard no, but I've read the jawbreaker thread. Sounds like they're still not quite there on the price either

Skeeter, SL (otherwise known as the Pro Starfire), and the X-Caliber are all very viable discs. Skeeter is imo a more usable disc than the Mako3. A bit of an understable utility and a great disc to learn form with while being a little faster. SL is great for beginners, though I can see with the original beast, Orc, and Viking in the line up that area of stability needs a little trimming. X-Cal is a great overstable driver. I prefer the Xcal to a PD2 even though the PD2 may be a little more consistent.

The Aero is OG. Can't kill off that one. It's disc golf history.

Disclaimer: My opinions on the Skeeter being better than a Mako3 are entirely my own. I know a lot of people are fans of the Mako3 and they're right for liking it. I just find more use from the Skeeter.

This. Tourney Pro was the benchmark for baseline plastic, and that went straight to pro d the worst baseline of any manufacturer.

I want a Thrasher size (height/width) rim in a mold with more overstability. Faster than a Stalker, slower than a Force. I have thrown Surges (and Surge SS) that met that criteria, but not consistently. Make it so, Discraft.

^very helpful info. :thmbup:

Although, i must say my undertaker really doesnt have the same path as my hornet. It also has more skip and feels different. As for the zombee, the only one i threw this year was flippy so i cant imagine it replacing the hornet... at all.

Mmmmmmmmm.... They have nothing similar to a hornet. It's a good disc with no real replacement. At the same time, it is sort of an unnecessary spot that wouldn't be super useful in many people's bags. It's also pretty darn inconsistent from disc to disc.

Still a good disc though. True to what was said earlier, it's a great fast and overstable mid to pair with fast putters or slooooow fairways, and significantly more overstable than a wasp if you can find flat, decently molded ones. Loved the zsp feel on those suckers.

And the drone? Wow.

Disappoint.

This is the primary issue I believe with making the Hornet OOP. Not that it is a bad disc, but the fact that it is a very niche disc. The line it holds is very unique, but can the same line be accomplished with other discs? Yes, not the same line, but a similar line.

Same issue with the Drone. It has a line that the Buzzz OS can accomplish, and the Buzzz OS, says BUZZZ. Buzzz sells better to new players, and the SS, regular, and OS version is easier to understand and sell, than a ton of seperate discs.

I would expect these discs to definitely be ledgestone discs, and would expect lots of Ledgestone disc to be run in ESP FLX as well.