• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft throwers, Comet or Buzz SS

Buzzz SS - Throws somewhat like a seasoned Buzzz. They'll flip if you torque them and not come back, especially the flatter ones. Domey Buzzz SS are more stable.
I've never found them to be great for any of the roles I prefer to use a flippy midrange.
They're not flippy enough to hold a line with a tailwind any better than a regular Z Buzzz does.
I rarely throw a true turnover shot with a midrange, as I'd rather throw a Buzzz on an anny. But if the line is too tight, and I need to throw a turnover, I don't want to have to mash the thing to get it to flip, which is what the Buzzz SS requires from my experience.
And for sweep hyzer flip shots, again, it requires a lot of torque to flip up as much as I want it to, which gives me the tendency to griplock and send it too high/right etc.

Comet - A uniquely awesome disc. New in X plastic, or slightly beat in Z is how I like them.
They're flippy enough that I can throw it 80% and still get the gradual turn that I'm looking for, without having to worry if it'll flex.
On sweep hyzer shots, they flip reliably and glide FOREVER. Thrown on a slight hyzer, they'll flip a bit, turn a while, then flex out for a perfect S-Curve.
And they bomb in tailwinds.

Fuse - My personal choice. In Opto plastic, they remind me a lot of a newish Z Comet. In Gold Line, they remind me of a new Elite X Comet, (that never seems to beat up.) I use them instead of Comets mostly because I prefer how they feel in my hand. They feel more like a domey Buzzz than a Comet, which feels awkwardly deep for me. They're also a little less touchy, which is both good and bad. I can power grip a Fuse and know that it'll handle it, where a bit of OAT or nose-angle will send a Comet reeling. But, I've also had a couple shots where I'm expecting the Fuse to flip and it won't.
Plus, Lat64s plastic is sex on rollerblades.

Beat Roc - Great turnover disc. They don't have the same glide as a Fuse or Comet, but they do glide better than a Buzzz SS once they've turned over. My issue with the beat Roc, of course, is that I don't throw Rocs for straight or stable shots, so I don't have the benefit of cycling them. My home course is heavily wooded, and I don't like having the feeling that if I crank an early tree my disc will taco, or that if I lose it, I can't find a replacement off the shelf.

But I digress...

Had a star stingray, hated it. It wasn't flippy enough when I needed flippy and it was too flippy when I didn't. Like a totally different mold. Never seen a champ.

Maybe do like I did and try a Meteor? It quickly replaced all of my Stingrays. It doesn't seem as finicky, plus the profile and feel in your hand is more like the other mids.

Well, I ordered an X comet. We'll see how it treats me. I'll keep an eye out in the future for a fuse and meteor. I think you all talked me out of the buzz SS. It probably isn't different enough from my broken in X Buzz to justify another disc.

The Comet is great for exposing form flaws. I carry a Z comet 177g and a 177g Buzzz SS. It takes a totally different throw. Less arm, more wrist. I've stepped up after driving with "normal" discs
umpteen times to drive with a Comet and yanked it before I thought about what I was throwing. Sure, we've all done that with other discs...but you have to remember it when its a Comet. Frank D told me he waits to use it until three or more holes into a round because of the tendency to throw it like a mid-range. It's not a mid-range, it's a Comet.

This is probably sacrilege on this thread, but has anyone that hasn't bonded with a Comet tried a Fuse?? Very similar and a great disc.

My fuse (opto, 172) is more understable than my comet (Z 169), but it seems to be less finiky about my OAT issues. They are both very OAT sensitive however.

Buzzz SS - Throws somewhat like a seasoned Buzzz. They'll flip if you torque them and not come back, especially the flatter ones. Domey Buzzz SS are more stable.
I've never found them to be great for any of the roles I prefer to use a flippy midrange.
They're not flippy enough to hold a line with a tailwind any better than a regular Z Buzzz does.
I rarely throw a true turnover shot with a midrange, as I'd rather throw a Buzzz on an anny. But if the line is too tight, and I need to throw a turnover, I don't want to have to mash the thing to get it to flip, which is what the Buzzz SS requires from my experience.
And for sweep hyzer flip shots, again, it requires a lot of torque to flip up as much as I want it to, which gives me the tendency to griplock and send it too high/right etc.

Comet - A uniquely awesome disc. New in X plastic, or slightly beat in Z is how I like them.
They're flippy enough that I can throw it 80% and still get the gradual turn that I'm looking for, without having to worry if it'll flex.
On sweep hyzer shots, they flip reliably and glide FOREVER. Thrown on a slight hyzer, they'll flip a bit, turn a while, then flex out for a perfect S-Curve.
And they bomb in tailwinds.

Fuse - My personal choice. In Opto plastic, they remind me a lot of a newish Z Comet. In Gold Line, they remind me of a new Elite X Comet, (that never seems to beat up.) I use them instead of Comets mostly because I prefer how they feel in my hand. They feel more like a domey Buzzz than a Comet, which feels awkwardly deep for me. They're also a little less touchy, which is both good and bad. I can power grip a Fuse and know that it'll handle it, where a bit of OAT or nose-angle will send a Comet reeling. But, I've also had a couple shots where I'm expecting the Fuse to flip and it won't.
Plus, Lat64s plastic is sex on rollerblades.

Beat Roc - Great turnover disc. They don't have the same glide as a Fuse or Comet, but they do glide better than a Buzzz SS once they've turned over. My issue with the beat Roc, of course, is that I don't throw Rocs for straight or stable shots, so I don't have the benefit of cycling them. My home course is heavily wooded, and I don't like having the feeling that if I crank an early tree my disc will taco, or that if I lose it, I can't find a replacement off the shelf.

But I digress...

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

I carry only buzzz's and 1 177 Z Comet (Yellow). I say the color because it actually does matter. I believe the red and yellow ones are the most stable.

Z Buzzz (168): I use for hyzers, straight shots that fade, and flex shots. My Wind mid. Distances up to about 325, capable of about 340.

Z BuzzzSS (175): Less high speed stability and low speed stability than a regular Z Buzzz. At full power it will keep it's line. Since it has less HSS, it likes to flip over a little if released flat and make a gradual S if you put some umph behind it. Hyzer flipped though it should flip flat and not turn over.

X Buzzz (169): New they throw like normal Z Buzzzs. As they beat in you get a reliably straight driver (like a new BuzzzSS), then eventually it beats to the point that it will turn over and not want to come back. This is where mine is at now, it will turn over and slowly drift right, with enough height it will come back at about 320. More distance than the Z Buzzzs.

Z Comet (177,Yellow): Put it on a line and it holds it. Thrown flat it will S slightly but always fade. Will hold a hyzer,anhyzer, or straight shot. A small hyzer release and it will flip flat and never turn over. A well thrown Z Comet will not turn over, and will always come back. If it is turning over, then your form is flawed. That's why it's such a great diagnosis disc. They can be thrown hard and fast like other discs, but for most people, throwing that way invokes some nasty oat and therefore just makes it turn and burn bad. For this reason it's best to be used as a touch disc, I can get a comet out to 350, but I'd rather reach for an X Avenger at less power than worry whether or not I'm going to flip it.

X Comet: I had one of these and lost it, I still haven't replaced it. After it beats in, it turns over more, and that's just not something I need out of a comet. I like to put the disc on the line I want it to go on, or I just throw an X Buzzz, or a forehand.

If you want a slow turnover disc, the comet is not for you. A lot of people compare the Fuse to the Comet because they still have form flaws that the Comet shows. The (Z) Comet is Stable to slightly Overstable. The Fuse is understable, and will drift right and never come back. At low power (<250') it might stay straight on you, but anytime you get the fuse up to speed it will flip and keep going. It has tons of glide and is workable for multiple low power shots. Right now, a new Fuse would be like my beat X Buzzz is. The fuse though, like the comet, requires a little more height to work it's magic than a buzzz. Throwing the comet and fuse would be more akin to throwing a putter than a driver, whereas a buzzz is a faster mid, much like throwing a driver.

In short:
If you want only to compliment your lineup currently, get a Fuse. It's a reliable understable midrange that can be worked at low power. If you want a disc that can will teach you how to shape lines, and show you whether your form is bad or not, get a Comet.

This is probably sacrilege on this thread, but has anyone that hasn't bonded with a Comet tried a Fuse?? Very similar and a great disc.
I tried to Fuse last year and thought it was pretty bad ass (still do), but I wouldn't even put it in the same slot with the Z Comet. The Fuse is just so much more understable when spanked, and still won't hold a short anhyzer to the ground or stay on a straight line at 40-50 feet with a small wrist flick.

Still trying to decide what to use for mid. As a noob should I really bother with a set of mids? Even though some don't see much diff between the reg and SS versions - I was wondering about just using the Buzzz SS to split the difference.

But then there's all these other highly recommended mids (Comet, Fuse, 47 flavors of Roc) and some others that get mentioned (Meteor, Shark)

I'm so confuZZZed - :confused:

Maybe I'll just throw my SSS Wizard as a mid - ;)

throw the buzzz and then add the comet later.

try out a DX rancho roc and see if you like it more than the buzzz.

Comet and Roc for bead lovers that love to shape lines with mids and don't mind putting a lil air under the disc.

Buzzz and Fuse for premi plastic lovers that like to throw a lil lower to the ground and may dislike the feel of beads.

I use a wasp/comet combo, both in esp and z. I go wasp instead of roc b/c I mainly throw the comet and the wasp is more a overstable compliment. I also prefer discraft's plastics.

I think most new players will find more sucess in a buzzz then a roc due to the buzzz favoring the lower line and it handling torque and oat a lil better.
I think they would also favor the decreased fade of the ss version.

I think for many first time players, finesse players, bead lovers, and form improvement seekers, the comet is my pick.

I do comet and roc. I see no reason to have more than 2 mid molds unless one is a utility disc

esp flx buzzz and z comet both 177 are in my bag currently. I sincerely appreciated buying the buzzz and throwing the buzzz well before attempting to use the comet. the comet reminds me of a 150g leopard in gummy champ when im tossing anh lines

It is incredibly difficult to compare the BuzzzSS and the Comet, as they are two completely different kinds of discs. Sort of like comparing a Firebird to a DX Eagle or something of the like, they both could be overstable fairway drivers for different people, but they need to be thrown drastically different to achieve the same results.

The BuzzzSS is good if you like to throw midranges hard. Lots of other discs like it out there - fairly easy to master, and not difficult to pick up and have success with quickly. It's not nearly as speed, nose angle, or torque sensitive as the comet is.

The Comet, on the other hand, is still unlike anything else on the market today. It takes a lot of time to master how to throw it, but if you are patient and you work enough with it, you will find out why it is so highly recommended, even 15 or so years after it was originally released. This disc will reward you, and you will gain skills you didn't have before if you learn how to throw it.

Most of the other differences in feel etc... have already been covered. My recommendation for the long run is always the Comet.

I waffled between a z buzzz and a kcp roc and usually went back to the buzzz because it tended to be straighter and farther while the roc usually faded predictably to the left but was more difficult to keep straight. After all the hoopla about the comet I decided to try one. I was scared that it would show me the flaws in my form and it does, but it is so true to whatever line it is put on that I have come to love it. It's glide seems to makes up for the power-down I wasn't willing to do with the roc or buzzz and it is more forgivable than I thought it would be. I've convinced myself that my form isn't THAT bad and I am now working the comet / roc combo with greater consistency......................so far;). It is the disc I blow the most smoke about lately.
I love this forum.

I think the Fuse is what happened on holiday in Amsterdam, when the Comet and the Buzzz had an illegitimate love child and put it up for adoption in Sweden.

Latest posts