• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Titanium (now with pics)

rusch_bag said:
As much as I need to know how the word stable works, can anyone tell me how the discs fly?

I tested out 3 ti buzzz'z at 177g+ each with almost 50 throws each in practice. I'm a buzzz thrower but usually only use them in the under 200' range and also use them around the basket for putts/parking.

Gold was flat
Blue was a little flatter
Silver was flattest and slightly concave

For the most part they all flew the same and landed close to each other. Flights were predictable and they held my release angle forever with power. They flew as far as normal flat z for me.

I don't know how long it will take to get beat in because these things are pretty stiff and took some tree hits no prob. Didn't deflect or skip as much as z does.

Handled steady 15-20 mph winds better than expected and cut thru like butter until it slowed down at the end of the flight. HW TW and CW didn't hurt em at all.

This seems like a good mid range thrower for BH. Was okay at FH but I use a wasp for that but they're not too shabby as a FH roller at a few 100' tries. OH were not good at all but I had to try it and they ended up looking like a wounded duck.

Inside the circle was kinda mixed as some shots were stickin chains while a couple bounced a little. They weren't getting sucked in or anything but most bad putts was me not used to the discs yet.

They flew like a buzzz should...awesome.
Straight describes it well.
It flys good enough to justify the hype so far but time will tell if its a must have in the bag. I'll have to test it out more my next round.

They only thing I don't like is that these things are hard to see/find in shadows, dusk, and taller grass. I know I'll be on the lookout for lost Ti's this summer so write your # on em.

These Buzzz's are awesome.

Just got back from a quick field test. They fly like the good Glo's. I have a flat 177 silver one.

For reference, I throw Buzzzs' from 250-325ft on a golf line.

My sunburst orange is bright as hell. Got chained out yesterday with my first throw on an actual hole with my blue TI buzzz (only field tested it a few times before that). Still getting used to the stiffness, but flight wise they are grrreat.

TLapham said:
These Buzzz's are awesome.

Just got back from a quick field test. They fly like the good Glo's. I have a flat 177 silver one.

For reference, I throw Buzzzs' from 250-325ft on a golf line.
this gives me hope! i throw max glos for my beefy buzzz. do u throw flat or hyzerflip?

rusch_bag said:
As much as I need to know how the word stable works...

Really, this is basic disc golf terminology. And it isn't difficult.

rwmurrow said:
Around here, the word over can be replaced by very, or extremely stable. As in, that nuke OS is extremely stable.

Not true, and now you're trying to re-invent the English language, in addition to mauling disc golf terminology.

Stable is stable. Over-stable is over-stable. Under-stable is under-stable. Very stable means that a disc has more stability. Very Over-stable means it has more over-stability. Etc.. For the Nuke OS, OS=Over-Stable.

rusch_bag said:
can anyone tell me how the discs fly?

For the language-challenged, we have youtube...

TLapham said:
These Buzzz's are awesome...

Sounds great. But are they really worth $30 if one can find cherry Z-Buzzzes for $15?

JHern said:
Sounds great. But are they really worth $30 if one can find cherry Z-Buzzzes for $15?

if the production run msrp is $30, I think discraft is barking up the wrong tree.

more durable than z would be interesting, especially if they release the predator in this plastic. you'd never have to buy a new one ever again!

JHern I wasn't being serious. I was over the bickering of people talking about stable vs overstable in a thread about a new plastic. I know how it works. Even though I don't have a phd or whatever you have, I manged to figure out how the terms work shortly after I started playing years ago.

Now to keep it back on topic, I am excited that they are flying as you guys are describing.

$16.99-19.99 is what I've been seeing from online stores. Pretty much in the CFR price range. They'll probably be around $20 at retail stores. Not too bad for a higher quality blend of durable plastic. Glad I didn't buy any pre-release from feebay. Didn't think they'd go that high.

JHern said:
TLapham said:
These Buzzz's are awesome...

I would pay it but I'm a fish... :D

Luckily they're only $17 at MSt and worth the extra $2.

I'm looking forward to some more field work tomorrow and will report back with more detail.

I was actually quite surprised to see how much these Ti Buzzzes turned for Nate. I would put them in the ESP Buzzz category of stability, based upon that video alone.

rusch_bag said:
JHern I wasn't being serious. I was over the bickering of people talking about stable vs overstable in a thread about a new plastic. I know how it works. Even though I don't have a phd or whatever you have, I managed to figure out how the terms work shortly after I started playing years ago...

Indeed, I know you know...and so do many others here on DGR. That's part of what sets this board apart from DGCR. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, I just want to work toward the goal of having at least one place on this vast WWW where there is sound information about disc golf and its equipment, and work to enhance it in whatever way possible. It's really all Blake's fault, he set a high standard for disc golf discourse from the very beginning.

Now that we have that settled...and I agree with the general "intelligent conversation" theme.....
(2) Green 177 (correct weight, verified) Ti Buzzzes were waiting for me when I got home yesterday, thanks DD.
I won't get to throw them until this afternoon, but will report. First impression is that they seems stiff with about the same grip as Z. The aesthetics are top notch though. I recall reading about how professionally done MVP products seem, and these discs are certainly in the same vein. The embossed graphics feel a bit different, but in a good way. I am anticipating good things. The coolest by product is that when one holds them up to the light, like shielding your eyes from the sun, the color of the flight plate changes to thundercloud grey/purple with the light behind it. Both of mine are First Run flat, too.
KP

They looked pretty flippy in the video of Nate. He threw a few that looked like they were solid on a slight hyzer angle, but then they flipped up and over late in the flight. Kind of strange. I bought 2 Buzzzes and a Stalker to test this weekend. I prefer my discs 172 or 173 most of the time, so I'll have some insight into those weights at least. Strangely, the most stable, or overstable I guess I'm supposed to say, Buzzz I've ever thrown was a 171.

Ryan C said:
They looked pretty flippy in the video of Nate. He threw a few that looked like they were solid on a slight hyzer angle, but then they flipped up and over late in the flight...

I think you're right. And Nate of course has super-human snap and generates a ton of spin. What you're witnessing in that video is the decay of spin stabilization, it's actually a very nice demonstration of the concept. The disc starts with a lot of spin, which keeps the disc from turning over too rapidly (owing to high angular momentum), but then as the spin rate slows down the disc (which still going fast enough to turn over) begins to turn over faster. Of course, the vast majority of disc golfers cannot perform this throw.

So what does that mean for mere mortals throwing this disc? It means that it isn't strictly stable, like a lot of Z Buzzzes. It is a tad under-stable. I also didn't see much in the way of dramatic changes in low speed stability or fade. Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily, I think I might want to buy one even more, after seeing that, since I've been looking for a Buzzz that will do that nice smooth turn right out of the box.

Mine are definitely not as overstable as I had anticipated. Maybe not even as stable as I thought. They have less HSS than a straight FLX Buzzz, and only slightly more LSS than a Z Buzzz SS. A lot of fun to throw hyzer flips with, and some useful lines, but not stable enough to throw lower anhyzers with. I sold one already. Perhaps other colors behave differently? Spring has decided to return here, and temps were below freezing this morning, I believe I could have driven nails with the Ti plastic this morning. Very stiff when cool. The guy I sold one to said it fits nicely between his Glo Z Buzzz and his Z Meteor.
KP

scooped up some max weight ti buzzzs today. all identical,all slightly concave and as stable as my good glows :) i tested them out at discnation and was pleased with the flight throw flat. there was a mild wind on both ends of the field so in a tail wind it flew more stable like my glows do. in a headwind it flew superstraight before fading out.

so,what im seeing is that the concave ones should be the most stable since with the top sinking,itll raise the parting line .

me likey so far. the true test will be wear in period. as it is,its 80° consostently here and these felt good. nice and grippy.stiff rim but not bad. just how i like my buzzzs. they came out nice and swirly with lots of silver flake. id prefer brighter but these were fine.

IMG_20120408_182210.jpg

IMG_20120408_182228.jpg

IMG_20120408_182242.jpg

From the Doss video I think I'll like the flight. I will definitely have to A/B these with some GL Cores.

Thank you Booter, I was starting to think I was going crazy!

Mine is also super stiff, flat to the point of almost concave and I had the same results.

Finally got to throw some TI plastic today. I had 2 Buzzzes and a Stalker to test.

The Buzzzes definitely flew like they looked in Nate's video. Mine would hold their line for a period of their flight, then flip a little, and then a little more. They were definitely controllable and nice, but not really what I want out of a Buzzz. If I chose to bag these, it would replace my Fuses, which do everything these Buzzzes do, except better. Maybe for the sake of throwing fewer molds, but definitely not because they are anything very special. I could see lower power players bagging these because they are easier to get a straight flight out of. During my throws, they reminded me of the Buzzz version of an XL. Good, but nothing I don't already have.

The Stalker, on the other hand, will definitely be getting some more attention. It is very stable, and flies enough farther than a Buzzz that I could probably justify sticking it in the space between my mids and my Teebird. I found it glidey, but with a relatively strong forward fade, which kicked in probably a touch earlier than I'd like. I'm sure it will hit its sweet spot eventually. There is one hole at a local course that is a crush for a Buzzz, and an awkward 75% power shot for a fairway driver, so I throw different discs on it depending how good my throw feels that day. I think this Stalker might fit that bill. People use discs differently, but I usually prefer to throw at 90%+ power whenever possible, so this tweener speed is kind of nice.

Anyway, those were my impressions. The Buzzzes were long (for Buzzzes) and flew about 330' for me on a normal flat shot. The Stalker was flying 360'-400' depending on the line I chose. If you want to try one of these molds, I'd recommend the Stalker.

Heard for a reliable source that the Ti Forces should be out by months end. Looking forward to that.

Latest posts