• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Discs you used to bag and love, but then you switched and found a new love ;)

I'll send you my Star Valk, you have fun with that. :)

Sweet. Act like an assh0le and get a free disc? Nice little Friday afternoon.
But what am I going to do with all my PDs now that I'll have a Valk?

Sweet. Act like an assh0le and get a free disc? Nice little Friday afternoon.
But what am I going to do with all my PDs now that I'll have a Valk?

I think this * Valk is a mislabeled PD lol

Not worth it. Retracted.

Go throw a Valk and try NOT to flip it. Then try to flip a PD.

I see the logic. Over time someone's usage for a disc may change due to power increase, better technique, different location, stages of wear, etc. In that sense a disc completely unlike another may fill another's previous role, thereby replacing it.

Also there are freak discs. My pd2s replaced my nukes and destroyers.

The Axiom Crave has become my bread and butter driver and it has been there for about a year now. I just love everything about that mold. It is just so workable and reliable for a ton of shots. AND I can always count on them coming out nice and flat, which is essential for my "smallish" hands.

I just checked one of these out at a shop this week and nearly snatched it up.
Picked up a used Relay that I couldn't pass up instead though that I'm really liking it so far.
Crave will be next...

Threw the Buzzz from 2008-2015 and switched to the Ghost this year.

Threw Leopards and Teebirds since I started playing in 2003-2004. CE Leo's and 11X TB's were always in the bag. Throwing Patriots and PD's instead now.

Still have an old CE leopard in the bag for rollers but it rarely gets thrown.

Star Valks seem to start out as 9/4/0/2 like 80-90% of the time. Way too much HSS.

Agreed. Or at least the newer ones. A year or two ago I had a newer one with some dome and it was at 0/1 and ended up pretty straight.

I just checked one of these out at a shop this week and nearly snatched it up.
Picked up a used Relay that I couldn't pass up instead though that I'm really liking it so far.
Crave will be next...

Craves are fantastic, the only gyro mold I have really, really liked. Pop up from a slight hyzer, long and straight flight, predictable but small fade. They are a sweet spot Teebird. However, Teebirds can cover a wider spectrum of stability in a cycle. For me, 11x Champ (OS) to beat, 2 year old DX (super US).

I have been thinking about pulling my Teebirds and giving my RDG stamped Craves a chance to shine. My Raptors already are taking all my OS shots and I can use my forehand (non existent a year ago and now almost as long/slightly more reliable than my backhand) to cover my US bird stuff sort of. Mainly gonna try it to try out an all RDG bag (Scales, Serps, Raptors and RDG stamped Rocs/Roc3 and Craves).

Agreed. Or at least the newer ones. A year or two ago I had a newer one with some dome and it was at 0/1 and ended up pretty straight.

Yeah the Sandstroms were OS (for a Valk) a few years back. I dropped Valks awhile ago, but I heard rumors last year about some good off the shelf Stars. Tried some this spring and still too much HSS. Oh well, must have missed the good run.

Eagle, teebird, TL, TL3, I don't bag any fairways now.
But I'm sure the more courses I play, the more I'd need one.

Panther too. That might return one day.

Leopard, no real reason. I love this mold but it's a slot I like to tinker with. replaced with Heat currently.
Summit, got tired of rollaways and pole caroms. Replaced with Serpent currently.
Ion, was too much of a forgotten middle child between my Breaker and Polecat and just didn't get enough use to validate taking up bag space.

I still throw a lot of castaways into a bag together and it makes for some good rounds "playing for fun" only.

RDG stamped Craves

What is this RDG Crave you speak of?!
LOL, I was ignoring gyro for awhile, so no surprise if I missed the boat on some sweet discs from RDG. I'm trying to correct the error of my ways though...

Not worth it. Retracted.

Go throw a Valk and try NOT to flip it. Then try to flip a PD.

Depends on the Valk and PD in question.

There was a run of CE Valks that are commonly referred to as Firevalks.

So stable.

I also own a somewhat domey, stiff, pearly champ Valk that is not flippy.

As far as PD's, what if it's a beat up P-PD?

Basically what I'm saying is... context.

I have a star valkyrie that flys like an s line pd. I also have a p pd that I got less than one month ago that flys more like a valk. Literally hit nothing (trees etc) with that disc. I love that it flys like that though. The valk on the other hand I don't have much use for. :confused:

To further elaborate on the vast differences between the Valks (but this applies to a myriad of molds)...

34nmtqt.jpg

Pictured here: 2012-ish Jolly Launcher Champion Valkyrie and a 2005-ish 5x Champion Valkyrie. From above, they seem fairly similar.

But when you check their profiles...
2a0cq4o.jpg

Hard to believe they share the same mold name. Anyone wanna take a guess which one is more OS? Rofl.

Yeah, kind of hard to nail these things down without context.

Berg K3 has replaced DX Aviar
FD has nearly completely replaced Leopard
PD replaced Beast
Theory replaced CE Shark (which was probably -1.5 understable compared to normal Sharks)

Here I'm saying I swapped out a Beast for a PD.
But the Beasts I always threw were original molds (X wing), so more like 10/5/-1/3, and max weight vs the current rating of 10/5/-2/2.
And the PDs I now throw more are lighter weight (165-168) at 10/4/0/-3.
Over like a ten years period at least.

Not hard to see how a change like that might happen with improved form and power alone, or even from the change in weight.

And a Valk is not hugely far off either at 9/4/-2/2, since I too have had way stable Valks that were more -1/3 at least.
In my original post I even note how the CE Shark I love is super flippy compared to basically every other Shark out there...its effectively a Theory.

I'm even currently researching Blizzard Wraiths and Destroyers and I might as well just bang my head against the wall cause its seems so inconsistent, even based on direct experience from people.

Effing plastic, man...

Last edited:
When I lost my bread and butter mid, the Buzzz, instead of buying another I decided to try out the Axis to replace it. It showed a lot of form flaws for me that the Buzzz didn't, but flew further for me when I figured it out. It wasn't exactly what I wanted though, and so when I lost it just a few months after buying it, I did a little more research and picked up an Alias. It was exactly what I wanted in a mid. The Buzzz was awesome, but the Alias for me was awesomer.

Theory replaced my Tursas, which was a big feat as my only ace was with the Tursas.

After a brief interim test with the Ion, the Envy replaced my Rhyno as my putter and upshot disc. Recently it's taken most of my Alias shots also...