• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discspeed's Bag

I kind of like the idea of the xXx for utility and keeping a C-PD for the long hyzers idea. Thinking that might work with a xXx and a Pred to where I wouldn't have to take the Pred out. Think that would work?

I kind of like the idea of the xXx for utility and keeping a C-PD for the long hyzers idea. Thinking that might work with a xXx and a Pred to where I wouldn't have to take the Pred out. Think that would work?

Haven't you sipped the PD kool aid yet? Mmmmm....

Actually, a brand new PD and a Predator aren't too far apart, IIRC. The Predator is more in the true overstable catagory, but PDs are suh-weet, especially in wear stages.

Threw a P PD and it worked well, but got alienated I think based on speed. And I actually find the stamp hideous

My CPD is kind of like an ESP Pred with a little wear, although it likes to lock onto a straight line and fade more than a Pred. IME, Preds only fly turned right or left, they don't ever really like to ride flat, so even a seasoned ESP Pred is going to turn a little before fading more than my PD. PDs love to ride flat, and the CPD+ fades somewhat late, but hard. My XXX (i'm using the heavy one mostly) is pure overstable utility. I use it mostly as an approach disc, where it sees more work than any disc in my bag other than my Ions. If I can't approach with my Ion, it's a bh/fh shot with my XXX.

Threw a P PD and it worked well, but got alienated I think based on speed.
Despite the speed 10 listing, it's really only a 9...though it may be a scootch thicker than a Pred.

And I actually find the stamp hideous

Acetone...;)
I remove the stamp, except for the Discmania logo at the top. Fortunately, the C-PD has a normal stamp.

Last edited:
heh. I might have to try some in different plastics. As it is, I just go from Pred to River. Sounds like a C-PD would be about Pred like then some broken in P-PDs would close more of the gap.

Anyway. Sorry to sort of hijack Discspeeds thread. Just found it an interesting line up.

My CPD is kind of like an ESP Pred with a little wear, although it likes to lock onto a straight line and fade more than a Pred. IME, Preds only fly turned right or left, they don't ever really like to ride flat, so even a seasoned ESP Pred is going to turn a little before fading more than my PD. PDs love to ride flat, and the CPD+ fades somewhat late, but hard. My XXX (i'm using the heavy one mostly) is pure overstable utility. I use it mostly as an approach disc, where it sees more work than any disc in my bag other than my Ions. If I can't approach with my Ion, it's a bh/fh shot with my XXX.

This^^ I have found my C-PD to be a more usable predator and was thinking I was crazy... I'm thinking of selling my preds because you can just do more with the C-PD... especially if you have an OS utility disc such as the XXX

DS how'd did the tourney go? How'd did you do? How did the axis preform for you?

DS how'd did the tourney go? How'd did you do? How did the axis preform for you?

I played well the first round and I was leading the open division, but I struggled the second round and ended up in 3rd place, 2 strokes off the lead. The Axis did fairly well, but I think I feel more comfortable with it now than I did a week ago.

I'm competing in the Moccasin Lake Open this weekend and my bag has undergone some minor tweaks...

2x175 Medium Ion--putting, approaching, stable/overstable drives
1x175 Proto Medium Ion--straight to understable drives
1x167 FR Ion--long putts, anhyzer and touch approaches

1x177 ESP Meteor--understable mid
1x 179 FR Axis--straight long/low ceiling mid
2x 178 FR Vectors--seasoned for straighter duties, and newish for overstable
1x176 Opto XXX--overstable utility driver

1x175 S-TD--touch/turnover driver
2x175 S-PD--softer/flatter orange that turns/fades for line shaping, seasoned champystar yellow for TB-type lines
1x175 C-PD+ --primary overstable driver

1x175 TP Sword--seasoned flippy for turnovers and tailwinds
2x175 VIP Sword--seasoned primary D driver and new for more stability.
1x173 Quasar--hyzer and wind D

How did it go?

Oh, and why do you use a TD over a beat PD? I am just now trying a TD and my 171 std is like a laser beam right now for 350 drives.

How did it go?

Oh, and why do you use a TD over a beat PD? I am just now trying a TD and my 171 std is like a laser beam right now for 350 drives.

I'll be curious of his answer, but I'm finding that the PD/TD relationship is alot like a Teebird/TL or EagleX/EagleL. Slightly more turn and not much fade back.

I threw my C-TD+ today on a nice long straight drive as well...pushing 370.

I struggled as I discovered I wasn't really in shape physically or mentally for an 82 hole weekend. I haven't been practicing my putting as much as I should and it showed. I'm hoping to get some quality practice in before my next tourney (1 day thankfully) in a couple of weeks, so hopefully make a better showing then.

As far as the TD goes...First of all, the one I've got in my bag is not like the stable domey/stiff low 170 STDs...It is a red 175 and is understable, but very controllable. It takes a PD a long time to get to that point of wear, and the TD glides better as well. I can throw it almost dead straight without fade, and it holds anhyzers effortlessly. I had some of my best throws of the weekend with my STD.

Wow that's a lot of holes in one weekend.

And you mentioned the stable TDs, mines 171 and stiff so probably one of those. Do you think beating in a PPD would be easier to get a nice controlled turnover with as opposed to waiting for the STD to season?

Wow that's a lot of holes in one weekend.

And you mentioned the stable TDs, mines 171 and stiff so probably one of those. Do you think beating in a PPD would be easier to get a nice controlled turnover with as opposed to waiting for the STD to season?

The problem with PPDs is that most are too flat to hold a good controlled turn. They get over and cut out of the air too fast rather than gliding on an anhyzer angle like a domier PD or a TD. Find a flatter/gummier STD...They are awesome, completely effortless with as much glide as any disc I've thrown (especially the red ones).

On the subject of TDs, I'm really looking forward to trying the new run of of CTDs without the PLUS core.

Finally got my hands on a 175 red champystar TD. I must say I am very much enjoying it. It allowed me to shoot my personal best at my home course today.

What makes you favor this mid range set up over buzzes? I recently lost my perfectly seasoned elite x buzzz that could hold annies or hyzer flip for a slow right turn and now I'm looking into other midranges because it took me ages to get that one right there. Currently intrigued by the axis/vector combo. I do not need a true understable midrange as I prefer controlling my angle of release as opposed to letting the disc do the work.

It's been a while and things have changed up a bit...

2x 171/172 Anodes--Putting
1x174 Anode--Straight drives
1x175 Ion--Overstable drives
1x171 Soft Ion--flex drives
1x167 FR Ion--finesse long putts/approaches

1x180 Flying Squirrel--understable mid
1x179 FR Axis--slightly understable/straight mid
1x178 FR Vector--seasoned step up in stability from Axis
1x179 Eclipse Vector--new and overstable

1x175 S-FD--stable fairway driver
1x174 11x Champ FB--overstable utility

1x175 S-TD--slightly understable
1x175 S-PD--seasoned, likes to flip and fade like an EX
2x175 yellow champstar PDs--new and seasoned, fly more like faster TBs
2x175 CFR CPDs--new and seasoned, overstable for strong hyzers and wind

1x175 Tourney Sword--understable max D
2x175 VIP Sword--new and seasoned workhorse drivers
1x174 FR Quasar--overstable for wind and hyzers

I've still got some more Nukes/NukeOS/Quasars that I would consider adding on a long/open course. I've also got other CPD+ and SPDs usually tagging along for breaking in/slightly different lines.

22 discs seems like overkill for the bag set up. 3 anode and 3 ions, but only one real fairway. 5 different PDs, seems like you could do will dropping a couple. If we're talking about just having back-ups for tourney's I get that, but to carry around all the time seems like more effort that it needs to be.

I like the set up, just wonder about the amount.

22 discs seems like overkill for the bag set up. 3 anode and 3 ions, but only one real fairway. 5 different PDs, seems like you could do will dropping a couple. If we're talking about just having back-ups for tourney's I get that, but to carry around all the time seems like more effort that it needs to be.

I like the set up, just wonder about the amount.

My bag doesn't even hold 22 discs, but luckily I roll a cart. I don't usually carry all of those, I just listed everything I would switch in or out based on wind and the 3-4 different courses I play regularly. Many of those discs are for practice/breaking in as well...I tend to play at odd times and often have courses to myself and throw lots of practice shots(especially with my putters). When I compete in a handicap or doubles I usually only carry 14-15 discs.

The PDs double as fairway drivers for me...It's kind of an unconventional setup that I've had in the works for some time, but when you rely so heavily on a tweener disc like the PD, chances are your setup will be a bit different.

Latest posts