• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discspeed's Bag

discspeed

* Ace Member *
I compete in Adv/Pro and am rated in the 960s. I've been playing for almost 10 years and I have probably averaged at least a round a day worth of throws during that time. I'm not competing much this year because my wife and I just had our first child, but I'm still getting out the field almost every day for practice and to the course a couple times a week. I throw backhand/forehand about 80%/20% but I'm trying to strengthen my forehand with a goal of more like 60%/40%.

175 Soft Ion (green)--Putts and approaches
174 Soft Ion (peachy/flesh)--Longer approaches and drives

176 X Buzzz--getting seasoned, anhyzers and turnovers
177 Glo Z Buzzz--workhorse of my bag
177 2FR Buzzz--seasoned and versatile, longer than Glo
177 Opaque Green Z Buzzz--More stable for wind/true hyzers
175 XXX--overstable, wind, utility

174 P-PD--very broken in for hyzer flips and turnovers
172 P-PD--new and super straight
175 S-PD--seasoned, all sorts of glidey hyzers/S shots/straight distance
175 C-PD--overstable for wind, open hyzers, S shots

173 Pro Destroyer--expendable distance driver for water shots
175 FR Star Destroyer--Workhorse distance driver
174 Echo Star Destroyer--Max D driver
175 Champ Destroyer--super domey and overstable for wind/hyzers out in the open

I know 5 molds sounds crazy, but with all the plastic variations of most these discs I don't feel like I missing anything (and I've thrown everything else at some point).

I don't know how far your throwing, so you might want to let us in on that bit of informaiton. But it looks good, im not sure on what the PD is, but ive heard peopel compare it to a Teebird, which would be good, if not, the only thing i would suggest is a "Fairway driver" (If the PD is not one).

I don't know how far your throwing, so you might want to let us in on that bit of informaiton. But it looks good, im not sure on what the PD is, but ive heard peopel compare it to a Teebird, which would be good, if not, the only thing i would suggest is a "Fairway driver" (If the PD is not one).

I throw in a field a lot, so I can say my driving distance is rather inconsistent. On days that I feel good I'm hitting 450', but on other days when I'm tired or sore from playing too much I feel I'm working hard to get over 400'.

As far as the fairway driver goes, the PD is like a super fwy driver. It is faster than most fairway drivers, but slower than the distance drivers of the past decade. I like to power down on it for fairway distances. I can also throw a Buzzz up to about 360' if its wide open, so I don't really have much of a gap between those.

BTW, How's Brewer Park? I used to go up and play there when I lived in Kalamazoo.

That's a pretty solid bag. Buzzz to PD is a pretty solid transition in my opinion. And with the way each of hose molds beats in and flies in different plastics it has a lot more variety than it may look like on the surface.

I must be following your advice too much. Our bags are almost identical now that I'm switching from Xcals to Destroyers except that I don't have a XXX and my Destroyers are purely FH discs for now. I'm not comfortable gripping that wide rimmed of a disc for BH.

I throw in a field a lot, so I can say my driving distance is rather inconsistent. On days that I feel good I'm hitting 450', but on other days when I'm tired or sore from playing too much I feel I'm working hard to get over 400'.

As far as the fairway driver goes, the PD is like a super fwy driver. It is faster than most fairway drivers, but slower than the distance drivers of the past decade. I like to power down on it for fairway distances. I can also throw a Buzzz up to about 360' if its wide open, so I don't really have much of a gap between those.

BTW, How's Brewer Park? I used to go up and play there when I lived in Kalamazoo.

I don't play brewer much, i play riverside two rounds a day most days, closer to my house.

I don't play brewer much, i play riverside two rounds a day most days, closer to my house.

Fair enough. Brewer is a great place to practice almost every shot as long as its not too crowded (which it often is). Did you know Brewer is the oldest course in Michigan?

:) you need a gator

There are signs on my local courses warning not to molest the gators, so I better steer clear.
Do_Not_Feed_Or_Molest_Alligators3199.jpg

I know you are a big fan of the Meteor, and you also were playing around with the Aftershock as a more overstable compliment to the Buzzz. What made you decide to go with just the Buzzz?

the triple x is a pretty versatile disc for your overstable approach needs it suits me just fine, depending on how good you are with a stable/understable mid, the XXX could replace a mold by being your utility disc/short wind/FH roller/short hyzers etc, basically anything you need a overstable mid for, you can use that disc for

Very DGR of you with 5 molds. You'll find I think more of us on DGCR are very "moldy". We like our variety. I'm still in that phase with my daily bag, but could mold down to about 5-6 if forced. I'm not doing many tournaments at the moment so I'm taking a full bag when I go out and am excited to use anything and everything I've got.

If prompted I could mold down to -
SS Wizards (2)

178 Z Buzzz
172 FLX Buzzz beat

175 S-PD $$$ disc

175 Champ Firebird newer
172 Champ Firebird beat

165 Star Wraith
171 Champ Wraith

172 ESP Force
175 Z Force "domey'

And for minimal rounds with the kid in the stroller, Wizard, ESP Buzzz, SOLF

But I carry 18 discs, 12 molds for daily use. Awesomesauce.

Here's what you should be throwing:

Putters
Polecat (at least 3, all pink or purple)
Champ Boss (for long putts, outside of 30')

Mids
FLX Drone (this disc has infinite uses)
Quest Wildfire (so versatile it has a nipple)
D Drone (Really beat in for understable)

Drivers
Champ Groove (best distance driver made yet)
DX Cheetah (maybe paired with an Aviar if you're naturally athletic, bitchez)
GL Vision (it's pretty, and naturally understable so that as it beats in it gets... prettier)
Speed Demon (it sounds cool, right?)

That covers every shot imaginable and will only make you a better player. Remember, your competition can't throw very well if they're too busy laughing at your set-up.

I know you are a big fan of the Meteor, and you also were playing around with the Aftershock as a more overstable compliment to the Buzzz. What made you decide to go with just the Buzzz?

I do like the Meteor. In all my buzzzness I had never actually given the X Buzzz a shot at getting beat in, so I thought what the heck. Its still not beat into my Meteor level, but I'm liking it so far. I'm not 100% decided yet, but I'm thinking the X Buzzz is a little less squirrely as an understable mid than the Meteor.

The Aftershock lost it place for two reasons. One day I played a mini in some extreme wind. At first I was throwing my Aftershock, but it was getting flipped. I realized then that at some point all mids flip, and I was most comfortable and smooth with the Buzzz, so I just started throwing the Buzzz with ridiculous hyzer and it worked great! So the Aftershock failed for its main purpose. Also, anytime I throw a mid that has any sort of bead I get some occasional OAT issues, which usually pop up in the wind, once again negating the purpose of the disc in the first place.

Very DGR of you with 5 molds. You'll find I think more of us on DGCR are very "moldy". We like our variety. I'm still in that phase with my daily bag, but could mold down to about 5-6 if forced. I'm not doing many tournaments at the moment so I'm taking a full bag when I go out and am excited to use anything and everything I've got.

This setup is something I've arrived at after throwing for a decade. I've carried all number and variety of discs in the past. At this point I've got the skill and experience to throw only a few molds, so I do. For my own confidence, I like to throw shots that I'm controlling rather than having a disc for everything. I also find it helps my range control when I throw discs of only 5 speeds. I throw all of these discs for many different shots FH and BH. I've never had so few molds that I could do so much with. For most my DG playing time I've followed more or less this model:

Beat Putter Soft
Stiff stable driver putter

Understable midrange
slightly flippy midrange
stable midrange
moderately overstable midrange

flippy fwy driver
stable fwy driver
moderately overstable fwy driver
extra overstable fwy driver

understable distance driver
slightly understable distance driver
stable distance driver
overstable distance driver

It's a nice setup you have. I think there's a little overlap at all levels except putter, e.g. I think a slightly overstable mid can do 99% of the things an overstable mid can do, so I go without the overstable myself. I'm sure through your experience you've found reasons to carry what you do though. I'm more comfortable throwing the 1 midrange I throw all the time and putting extra hyzer on it.

Speaking hypothetically though, if you were to take 1 disc from each speed range, say the straightest one, how limited would you feel in terms of the shots you could confidently throw? Are there any particular shots you'd really be wondering how to approach? Or do the different stabilities more or less make things easier / more convenient for you.

5 molds isn't crazy. Anything more than 6 is IMO :p

Last edited:

Latest posts