• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discspeed's Bag

It's been a while and some things have changed...

Ions--I've got so many pretty new clears that I'm kind of shaking things up and I'm not sure what is going to stick. My primary throwers and putters are still 175 medium protos because they flip enough to shape lines and throw with hyzer. All of the newer ones are stable enough to pair with my protos really well.

177 Orange GL Fuse--Original Fuse that has broken into total flippiness. It's like my buddies beat 10x Roc...actually, no it's not because that disc just broke on him!! I'm glad I get the flight without having to worry about that nonsense.
177 Gold GL Fuse--New for straight shots without much flip
177 Orange FR Vector--Seasoned to just a step above the new Fuse. It flips a little on hard throws, but mainly just holds whatever it's given on shots 250-300'.
178 Orange FR Vector--Seasoned naturally...has lost all its fade on hard throws, but still doesn't turn. I use this one for most hyzers as it flies true without fighting me
178 Orange FR Vector--New with some wicked LSS for wind and situations where I need to lean on the stability

175 Orange GL River--Still pretty new, this is my shapeable FWY driver, or pretty much my less stable/more glidey PD counterpart
175 Pink GL XXX--Overstable spike/utility disc. More versatile and longer than the Opto version.

175 Orange SPD--Original SPD, now broken in. Has high speed turn, but still fades as well
175 Yellow champystar PD--Seasoned and like longer Teebird
175 Yellow production CPD--like my champystart, but with much stronger fade, hyzers and wind

175 Black Tourney Sword--hyzer flip and turnover distance
175 Cobalt VIP Sword--deflashed and getting seasoned, starting to get some high speed turn, straight and versatile
175 Cobalt VIP Sword--brand new with flash for wind/more stability than my other one
175 Pink Z NukeOS--Fast and overstable for wind D and wind hyzers

I also carry around a bunch of extra Ions of varying run, weight, and stiffness, a couple pretty beat PPDs, new yellow champystar PD, 168 NukeOS, 174 Z Nuke, CFR CPDs for rare situations, new courses, practice, and for breaking in. I'm sure the Axis is going to go in there as soon as I get some. It's nice rolling a stroller...

Think the Axis will knock out both the Gold Fuse and the flippiest Vector or just one?

Think the Axis will knock out both the Gold Fuse and the flippiest Vector or just one?

There is a distinct gap in my mid game right now, so it might just fit right in. If not, it will probably be the stable Fuse. My most seasoned Vector is a special disc...Sooooo slow in it's turn (like a slightly understable med Ion). I anticipate the Axis will turn a little quicker and perhaps even fade a little more after a straight flight.

waht about the switch from Flows to Swords?

I really like Flows, but the Sword is very similar with the added benefit of flying slightly faster, being better on low lines, and also being a bit longer. I've played a dozen or so rounds with them and so far I've seen no downside. They start out a bit more stable, but lose that pretty quick to be pretty much the same stability as the Flow.

Black tourney sword sounds sweet. Can I see a pic?

Here's one just like it....
westside-sword-tourney-small.jpg

I've just added another fine disc to my lineup after weeks of testing...The Millennium Quasar. It is about halfway between my Sword and NukeOS in stability, so it's been really helpful in cross/headwinds where I still want a distance line. The Sword is still my main distance disc, but it's broken in pretty fast and now it doesn't like winds much over 5-10mph.

What's the Sword comparable to? I haven't paid much attention to the Westside stuff.

What's the Sword comparable to? I haven't paid much attention to the Westside stuff.

It's kind of like a Destroyer that has been seasoned. Unfortunately, I find that seasoned Destroyers loss HSS too fast despite getting more glide. The Sword has that extra glide while still retaining a better high speed stability. It breaks in quite a bit from deflashing and a little use to a HSS of about -1, but it's staying there now. My E* Destroyers that I used to cycle glided similarly, but never stopped breaking in so that I was having to throw them with stupid amounts of hyzer after only a couple of months. The Sword is like one of those in it's sweet spot, and so far it's holding that stability.

so the river is doing almost all of the longer fairway shots? or is the PD working for you with a fairway run up?

so the river is doing almost all of the longer fairway shots? or is the PD working for you with a fairway run up?

The River is doing most the work, but the PD gets longer shots that must not turn and straight to hyzer shots. I'm surprised by the River's stability...I'm looking forward to getting it beat in (I may have to beat it some on purpose) so it's a little more versatile on shorter fairway shots.

i ask since the lat flight chart puts it right next to the striker and the flight path is very close. i'm going to try almost 5 fairways and no distance drivers. XXX-12x firebird-opto striker-river-RR. but i think my striker river RR will end up causing huge overlaps and why DX eagles are so good you can just rotate them down to cover shots.

What do you see as differences betweent the C-PDs with the + rim vs. previous S-PDs? Bigger fade you mentioned if I understood that correctly.

I have some S-PDs in stages of wear and love them and a new C-PD+. LIke the gummier, grippy feel, but it's still a scooth overstable.

What do you see as differences betweent the C-PDs with the + rim vs. previous S-PDs? Bigger fade you mentioned if I understood that correctly.

I have some S-PDs in stages of wear and love them and a new C-PD+. LIke the gummier, grippy feel, but it's still a scooth overstable.

The CPD seems to have a touch more glide than the SPD, so it really picks up and gets lift on it's fade. Besides that I like the CPD because SPDs never kept that new stability for long, and my CPD hasn't lost much if any stability yet after 6mos. The flatter CPD Pluses fly straighter than the domey ones.

Keep us posted...

BTW, have you auditioned the Pain at all? Curious...

Unfortunately we got Pains in a little late at CDGS, so I tested it the same time the Vector came out. IMO the Vector does the overstable job better. The Pain is more versatile as I was able to turn the nose and get tight S turns even when new. I did throw 2 different GL Pains that had a little high speed turn when new, but the Opto I tested was nicely overstable. The stable Opto really reminded me of the old clear Champ Sharks, slow, glidey, and stable. In the wind though the Vector holds it's line much more predictably. That's the Vector's strong suit...It seems like no matter how I throw it I only get a couple different lines. Thrown with any hyzer it holds and drops as soon as it starts slowing down, thrown flat it flies straight and fades hard, thrown turned it holds and flexes out late but strong. The Pain as I said is a lot more versatile, especially once it has a little high speed turn. Even my beat Vector still just wants to fly on the same lines, just with a little less power required and a little straighter on the flat throw.

Alright...First tourney of 2011 tomorrow (such is the life of a stay at home dad), so I figure I'd document what I'm carrying.

2x new medium 175 Ions (one stock stamp, one DGR)--putting/approaching/stable drives
1x175 proto medium Ion--much less stable than new ones
1x167 FR Ion--turnover approach and putts

1x177 GL Fuse--seasoned for turnovers and touch shots
1x179 Axis--all things line holding
1x178 Vector--newish for hyzers, flex shots, and wind
2xOpto XXX--168 for approaches, utility, and thumbers, 176 for wind and beef

1x175 S-TD--turnover and slight hyzer flip straight shots
1x175 S-PD--yellow champystar seasoned, slight turn, predictable fade, very versatile main thrower
1x175 C-PD--production PD+ for long hyzers with strong fade

1x175 Tourney Sword--hyzer flip BH max D
2x175 VIP Sword--seasoned and newish for stable/slightly understable BH and FH D drives
1x175 Quasar--stable/overstable distance driver for long straight shots in wind and predictable long hyzers
1x175 Z NukeOS--crazy fast overstable, won't see action unless strong wind is in play

Latest posts