• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] [Discussion] What are your favorite microbrand disc manufacturers?

the1discChallenge

Eagle Member
I've recently been really intrigued with smaller, new disc companies and what they're up to. While art style and naming schemes don't mean anything about the discs themselves, there are some cool companies with cool concepts that are popping up. I'm curious what everyone's favorite "microbrands" in disc golf are?

**By microbrand, I mean smaller companies that aren't quite household names. I'm not talking about the Innovas, Prodigys, Gateways, Discrafts, and MVPs that are out there- I love them all, but we all know what they have to offer! I'm thinking about brands like Guru, Discstroyer, Viking, RPM, Daredevil, Storm, and the like. I know these smaller brands exist, but I don't have any hands on experience with any of their plastic and I'm curious to hear some testimonials from people who have :hfive:

RDG. Gila is a core disc in my bag. Also love the serpent and scale. Serpent would be in my bag if I didn't have the berg and wizards in there.

Kasta has outgrown this role, but it used to fit when I started bagging the berg.

I enjoy daredevil. I could totally bag a beaver

I also like what AGL is doing. I need to get my hands on a Cypress and baobab

I think on here the discussion starts with Reptilian!

They are sort of like a favorite local micro-brewery that has that one flavor that all the out-of-towners want!

Agreed with RDG, people are always asking me about my Scale.

They work closely with Gateway, right? It's been fun following Jaime's success with RDG on these forums. A few years ago, I really wanted one of the Pokemon stamped discs, but sadly wasn't throwing any of the molds at the time...missed opportunity for sure.

I actively support RDG and always bag a Stego and usually a Tyrant. They also have some great putters and approach discs.

I also have RDG in the bag and like my Kahu and Piwakawaka a lot. Some of the best looking plastic out there.

I find some of their rims weird and overly blunted, but I have used some Viking discs in the Fire plastic with the light in them. Barbarian is pretty good.

Some of the Yikun discs are good too, Yao is a solid mid in that weird semi overstable slot that doesn't get enough love and the new Hammer putter feels a little odd with a raised thumb track but I really like it. Flight is a bit like an Envy.

All kinds of cool discs from smaller brands, they are just sometimes harder to find.

As some others have said Kastaplast, Viking (cosmos is a great straight fairway), storm discs and my favorite is mint discs out of Austin. I love the plastic from mint and can't wait for more discs from each of these companies.

They work closely with Gateway, right? It's been fun following Jaime's success with RDG on these forums. A few years ago, I really wanted one of the Pokemon stamped discs, but sadly wasn't throwing any of the molds at the time...missed opportunity for sure.
I have a Pokemon stamped scale I may be willing to part with...

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

RDG of course. The scale and gila are fixtures in my bag, and also toss a tyrant and serpent in there on occasion. Of course I always have at least one stego in the car.

Gateway has spawned a lot of the microbrands. Storm, Black Zombie, Aquaflight, RDG the sadly missed Element, and AGL.

Prodiscus has some cool stuff, great plastic, I dig them and would consider them a small brand. I really want to try some viking and Disc golf UK molds.

I second (third, fourth?) RDG.

The only non-gyro disc in my bag is a Stego. Never even would have considered them had it not been for their awesome presence on here...and the nice promo they ran supporting one of our favorite posters here (Mr. Moose, you're welcome!).
They are an awesome company. If I had any other holes in my bag, I'd probably be looking their way.

Lighting, #2 Upshot.

Not sure if they were small enough to be a micro company? Currently OOP and would like to see molds get made again in the fact that Gotta Go Gotta Throw Has all of the unsold discs being sold, the molds, and all plastic pellets. The Company got them in a sale of the stuff after orginal Lighting owner died. Gotta Go Gotta Throw was the right one for the buying of it all as they had the Lighting Bags made by outside manufacturing for Lighting. I know as only the non Lighting branded bags of same models were sold on Gotta Go Gotta Throw site at a few dollar less price then the same bags on Lighting site that were not brand touted on Gotta Go Gotta Throw as the supplier of the bags to Lighting.

Mint discs would be my choice, but the cult following is insane. 2nd sale markets are nuts, small runs difficult to obtain. That being said, they knock it out of the park, and I have loved every mold they've made. I just can't find backups, lol

Mint discs would be my choice, but the cult following is insane. 2nd sale markets are nuts, small runs difficult to obtain. That being said, they knock it out of the park, and I have loved every mold they've made. I just can't find backups, lol

All of their molds are 10% off on MST right now!

Above Ground Level discs (AGL)

Manufactured by Gateway. Excellent disc and plastic blends: Alpine (premium), woodland(basic), Hemp (well everyone knows hemp). My bag is about half AGL. Im looking to fill more slots with AGL when more discs come out.

Ponderosa 2/4/-1/0: excellent straight and glidy putter. My go to for approach and long putts.

Madrone 3/3/0/1: A putter with a small thumbtrack. Straight to stable flight. My go to putting putter.

Baobab 4/0/1/3: Stego top and a shaman bottom(correct me if im wrong). Described as the "30ft longer stego). Best get out of jail disc ever&flick rollers.

Magnolia 5/5/0/2: Roc3 hand feel without the bead. Excellent cycling potential in the Woodland blend (basic blend). Replaced my KC glow Roc3. Currently bagging a Alpine and woodland one. Will bag another woodland when my shipment arrives.

Sycamore 7/5/0/1: Neutral glidy fairway. Surprisingly deep for a fairway. TL like flight path.

Locust 9/4/-1/3: Straight-stable fairway. Hoping the mail man will bring it to me today :)

Cedar 11/5/0/3: Shallow, OS distance driver. Great for forehands and fighting the wind.

Having worked with both AGL and RDG these are both fantastic companies to support. Still bag a Tyrant, Scale and Cypress and love em. I gotta pick up the latest stuff from both companies. Unfortunately we shut down Ozone but well be back one day. I moved from Jersey to Texas for work and we had a fallout with our manufacturer over quality issues so it was the right time to shut it down.

Having worked with both AGL and RDG these are both fantastic companies to support. Still bag a Tyrant, Scale and Cypress and love em. I gotta pick up the latest stuff from both companies. Unfortunately we shut down Ozone but well be back one day. I moved from Jersey to Texas for work and we had a fallout with our manufacturer over quality issues so it was the right time to shut it down.

Is that the same group that molded the Tyrant? And if so...what does that mean for the Tyrant...