• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] [Discussion] What are your favorite microbrand disc manufacturers?

Lighting, #2 Upshot in Prostyle.

Not sure if they were small enough to be a micro company? Currently OOP and would like to see molds get made again in the fact that Gotta Go Gotta Throw Has all of the unsold discs being sold, the molds, and all plastic pellets. The Company got them in a sale of the stuff after orginal Lighting owner died. Gotta Go Gotta Throw was the right one for the buying of it all as they had the Lighting Bags made by outside manufacturing for Lighting. I know as only the non Lighting branded bags of same models were sold on Gotta Go Gotta Throw site at a few dollar less price then the same bags on Lighting site that were not brand, touted on Gotta Go Gotta Throw as the supplier of the same bags to Lighting who just put on logos on about 1/2 of the bags. Though once Lighting owner died then Gotta Go Gotta Throw must have stopped supplying and having a factory make the bags for Lightning.

Fixed so it makes more sense.

Is that the same group that molded the Tyrant? And if so...what does that mean for the Tyrant...

There are still plans for more Tyrants to my knowledge, despite logistical hurdles.

Having worked with both AGL and RDG these are both fantastic companies to support. Still bag a Tyrant, Scale and Cypress and love em. I gotta pick up the latest stuff from both companies. Unfortunately we shut down Ozone but well be back one day. I moved from Jersey to Texas for work and we had a fallout with our manufacturer over quality issues so it was the right time to shut it down.

We miss you guys at ozone and element. Long live the original faction! Totally a novel idea that you guys had for the andro, and I still think Element had the best naming scheme and stock stamps ever.

Kasta, as said earlier, has probably outgrown this role, but I dig them. Bagged the Stal for a while, currently bag the Reko as a thrower.

Ozone - shoutout to Jersey!

Are Millenium or Legacy too big? Love the Sirius and the Gauge.

I would say they're too big to be considered a microbrand at this point, though I love my Omegas. I had a mostly Legacy bag a few years ago and loved the Patriot, Outlaw, and Rival. Great plastic from both brands!

Reptilian and Above Ground are very different companies from what I have seen. Jamie has been very proactive with Gateway in getting mold pieces made for specific discs he wants to make, so he's been really hands-on with developing these discs. Above Ground just seems to pick up the results of mix and match mold pieces and markets them; they don't seem nearly as involved in the development phase.

That really didn't bother me until the Baobab came out; Jamie stuck his neck out to get Stego's to market and stuck it out farther to get the mold recreated after the first run sold out. He marketed the crap out of that disc and carved out this unique spot with it. AGL just picked up on that after the fact and now they have the Baobab out to take Stego sales away from Reptilian. Something about that rubs me the wrong way.

I would say they're too big to be considered a microbrand at this point, though I love my Omegas. I had a mostly Legacy bag a few years ago and loved the Patriot, Outlaw, and Rival. Great plastic from both brands!

Legacy is such a region-specific brand. I had never even seen a Legacy disc on a course in my first 2 years of playing. Then I moved 1000 miles away, and it seems like all the good players here bag a ton of Legacy plastic.

Reptilian and Above Ground are very different companies from what I have seen. Jamie has been very proactive with Gateway in getting mold pieces made for specific discs he wants to make, so he's been really hands-on with developing these discs. Above Ground just seems to pick up the results of mix and match mold pieces and markets them; they don't seem nearly as involved in the development phase.

That really didn't bother me until the Baobab came out; Jamie stuck his neck out to get Stego's to market and stuck it out farther to get the mold recreated after the first run sold out. He marketed the crap out of that disc and carved out this unique spot with it. AGL just picked up on that after the fact and now they have the Baobab out to take Stego sales away from Reptilian. Something about that rubs me the wrong way.

I agree, was interested in AGL before that but that was a low blow.

My favorite has to be Daredevil.

Those guys know how to design a mold.

The Wolverine/Ptero is the straightest flying driver I've ever thrown.

They needed help marketing their molds so when we crossed paths, I was so happy to be able to have some special runs produced for RDG.

I emailed them this morning about a fresh run and maybe some new molding as well.

I love Scales.
I like, like Stegos.
I like Serpents.
Just bought 4 Gilas to try out. The fossil plastic is a favorite and i grabbed a couple armors. There was some convincing done today.

They needed help marketing their molds so when we crossed paths, I was so happy to be able to have some special runs produced for RDG.

I emailed them this morning about a fresh run and maybe some new molding as well.

Daredevil? I didn't see that one coming. (FWIW, I agree)

Re. the straight-flying driver, are you sure you're not confusing the Wolverine with the Timberwolf? I've always found the Timberwolf to be straight, while the Wolverine is moderately OS.

I love Scales.
I like, like Stegos.
I like Serpents.
Just bought 4 Gilas to try out. The fossil plastic is a favorite and i grabbed a couple armors. There was some convincing done today.

Armors are hands down my favorite. Fossil is a close second and will of course wear in faster.

Daredevil? I didn't see that one coming. (FWIW, I agree)

Re. the straight-flying driver, are you sure you're not confusing the Wolverine with the Timberwolf? I've always found the Timberwolf to be straight, while the Wolverine is moderately OS.

Theyre the same mold. Just different plastic.

That's why we made the Ptero. To increase exposure on a great mold... And to help the confusing Daredevil naming scheme.

Please keep us posted. I'd love a Ptero! :D

There are still plans for more Tyrants to my knowledge, despite logistical hurdles.

We miss you guys at ozone and element. Long live the original faction! Totally a novel idea that you guys had for the andro, and I still think Element had the best naming scheme and stock stamps ever.

Thanks appreciate it! As far as the tyrant goes we gave RDG all of our manufacturers info, the plastic combination we used, and design files. Jamie was the designer of the disc and he knew exactly what he wanted we just CADed it up for him and had it manufactured, so it was his/RDGs intellectual property.

Not sure if they will go with our manufacturer. They did produce some really solid runs but it just wasn't consistent enough sometimes. Same disc, same plastic and there would be quality differences. If they were on their A game like we've seen them sometimes be, they would be amazing. Big issue is they chalked quality issues up to acceptable manufacturing tolerances and didn't take full ownership. With discs the smallest discrepancy makes a huge difference so they basically need to be perfect

Anyway, I really hope more Tyrants come out from somewhere. And also love the Ptero. Big fan of kastaplast and prodiscus also.

So. I may or may not have lost my is utility putter today. And I may or may not be typing this from the course. *May or may not*, just to clarify. If this were the case, would anyone be able to hook me up with a Scale to replace said disc that I may or may not have lost.
:doh:

Daredevil has a realistic approach in that the same mold will fly differently in different plastics, and they account for that by just calling them by different names. No other manufacturer does this so it looks like they are pulling a fast one or something, when really they are making it easier for the consumer to know how the disc should fly. If they were more aggressive with marketing they could probably see a decent jump in their market share; the people who try their discs seem to like their discs.