• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you have a backyard practice area?

I wanna play Granite Mountain!

Me too! I'm been seeing those d*****d pictures in my facebook feed for months now, and I was just telling someone last night that it's on my bucket list. Though on that bucket is a warning label that says, "For anything that requires 30 hours in an airplane, find another bucket."

My backyard is about 40'x50' inside the fence and really only big enough for putting practice on my MachV portable. There are a couple trees back there that I use to force straddle-putt practice, and putting to or from the deck add a tiny bit of elevation change. My back deck is 10'x30' and I've been known to use it for a cleared off winter putting green when I tire of the basement or digging in the snow for missed putts.

Right across the street, however, is a nice big park/flood control basin that makes an excellent driving range and is big enough to contain nearly any errant shot. My local taxes are all paid up so I consider the park to be part of my yard :)

Attachments

• backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 10.20.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-05-17 at 10.20.29 AM.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 71
I have a small front and back yard, live in a suburban neighborhood. Used to throw down to my practice basket from 200 feet up the street until some guy thought I would hit his car and told me to stop.

I have a park though right down my street that has about 300 feet of open grass, and I set up my basket in the middle and pitch and putt.

I've got a nice backyard and though it's only an acre and I make 5 disctinct holes that are 250-300. Good mix of woods and open.

Me too! I'm been seeing those d*****d pictures in my facebook feed for months now, and I was just telling someone last night that it's on my bucket list. Though on that bucket is a warning label that says, "For anything that requires 30 hours in an airplane, find another bucket."

like these ;-)

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1463520557773.jpg
    FB_IMG_1463520557773.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 77
  • FB_IMG_1463520484171.jpg
    FB_IMG_1463520484171.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 76
  • FB_IMG_1463520415995.jpg
    FB_IMG_1463520415995.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 70
My back yard is 18 holes, my front yard is two practice baskets amongst the pine trees, links in sig show you the former, maybe I'll get you some pics of the latter if you really want to see.

Not much of a backyard, but I do have a communal lot behind my property the village mows. I like to throw drives over the cul-de-sac and use the lot for approach shots.

Attachments

• 2016-05-17 21.04.02.jpg
    2016-05-17 21.04.02.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 2016-05-17 21.04.35.jpg
    2016-05-17 21.04.35.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 2016-05-17 21.05.13.jpg
    2016-05-17 21.05.13.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 46
This is my backyard. Not super huge, but I have lots of shrubs around the fence. I have 18 portables, normally only setup the three in the picture.

I have an 18 hole putt-putt course in the backyard that we play when everyone comes over to bbq and play Kan-Jam. It's a fun time that can be played as a round robin tournament or as casual horse. Holes range from 10', straight on, to 40', blind elevators over the roof.

We are also in the process of running charity events where we take the 18, and drop them for a single day event at a non-disc golf park. So far the city is cool as long as we reserve it ahead of time.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
I don't have a back yard. I have a 25' RV pad between my garage and the back alley. My DiscCatcher lives in my garage and I pull it outside when the weather is good. Shooting down my back alley is good for practicing those tunnel shots.

My course

I have five acres (2.5 wooded 2.5 yard). Beginning 9 months ago began to experiment with using the space for practice. Over time and with some friends that progressed into a 6 basket/locations course with 18 distinct tee locations. I started with homemade targets ($6 each) but now have 5 baskets and one target that you only have to throw to on one hole. I have change and adjusted holes to make them more interesting and challenging. At present it is par 57, avg 255ft per hole on front nine and avg 330ft per hole back nine. It is cool to be able to adjust holes to work on certain shots. We have a little group that plays here on Sundays just to have something different since we only have one other course within 45 miles.

Yeah, I have a little less than 1/2 acre fenced, with another area the same size that isn't cleared and a fairly steep hill. I have 2 baskets now and move them around. I like to keep one in a semi dicey location where an errant putt or throw could easy go over the fence and OB. I've definitely skipped plenty off the top of that basket and into the brush. The other I sometimes have 10m away for back and forth putting practice, or at the top of the yard for uphill/turnover/forehand approach practice.

A few of my shots in the current positions are attached. One from right out my back door with plenty of mando and jump putt options, and two tunnels, one smaller than the other, with landings downhill but sloped in opposite ways to really learn how the disc is gonna land and react on different slopes.

Attachments

• IMG_2281.jpg
    IMG_2281.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2283.jpg
    IMG_2283.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2285.jpg
    IMG_2285.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 40
Late to the game, but looking for advice

Just put in offer on dream property (house needs some work). That said, first line of business will be putting in baskets. Thinking 4-5 should do. I'm going to ask neighbor (white question mark) if possible to clear a little of those woods and place a couple baskets in there.... which would be AWESOME. Maybe I'll get friends to come over for barbeques... lol. Anyway.. thoughts? Suggestions? There is some minor down hill progression from front of property to back corner.

Attachments

• Possible DG layout..jpg
    Possible DG layout..jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 43
~7 acres. Initially wanted to build a home course, but have backed off from that. Mostly cow pasture with sparse trees. I have 5 baskets set up on about 3 acres. Gives me lots of practice opportunities. Although I don't have a lot of obstacles, I choose to play specific shot types. Mental mandos and such.

Backed off building more exotic course when I realized I've got 4 courses within 20-30 minutes of the house.

~7 acres. Initially wanted to build a home course, but have backed off from that. Mostly cow pasture with sparse trees. I have 5 baskets set up on about 3 acres. Gives me lots of practice opportunities. Although I don't have a lot of obstacles, I choose to play specific shot types. Mental mandos and such.

Backed off building more exotic course when I realized I've got 4 courses within 20-30 minutes of the house.

I have a few great courses near this house as well, but my 6 y/o wants to learn and I figure this is a great way to achieve that. Also, being able to play a few holes without leaving the house sounds great, too. I have a few trees, and hope to be able to cut out some of the neighbors woods to make some drop in shots. Sounds like you got what I'm going for. Good to hear it is working for you!

First pot here, I'm 60, been nursing some pulled muscles in upper back but good to go now. I'm lucky to have 3 acres of ground. I just bought my second basket, the galvanized DGA Mach 2 Disc Golf Basket,hasn't come yet...
Here's my holes, haven't made a birdie yet in about 15 rounds but I don't deserve one yet ! Yellow is is a par 5 up hill,grren one par 3 downhill,gray, par 3 level,red Par 4 downhill,White Par 3 slightly downhill, Orange Par 3,Blue par 4 slightly uphill. I move the one basket around,road it on the wagon of the lawn mower. I play the holes 2,3 times to add up to 18
attachment.php

Attachments

• DiscGolfCourse9-25-20.jpg
    DiscGolfCourse9-25-20.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 79
i just have a skillset basket i havent assembled in years

however when i had the space in an old apartment building i putted all the time but thats over 5 years ago but i had a 33ft hallway which taught me laser putts and because of it that year was the best putting of my life

now i can in my backyard i just dont

we got thieves and fiends running around and will take anything not locked down so i would have to transport it to and from the garage every time and im not that into dg anymore so i dont

Yep, with ambition to squeeze 9 separate holes in. For now I've got 3 baskets. I'll probably pull the one in the woods up into the fenced area soon for winter and set up my horseshoes style putting pit. The other one gets moved around a little, and I try to keep it in a place where I have at least 3-4 different drives/approaches at it available.

Getting the whole 9 installed is going to take a LOT of tree felling, brush clearing, marsh management, and time. I currently don't have much time, so on to the back burner it goes. I'd like to at least cut the first hole in this winter. That won't take more than 2 days for that particular spot.

I have a yard. I have a basket. I practice putting.

There's a neighborhood park I have a little 9 hole layout for that I've used a few times, but it's more work than driving to the course down the street.

Latest posts