• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you pivot on your heel or on the ball of your foot?

Johnny Depth

Double Eagle Member
When you drive a disc, and you do your reach back(assuming your throwing backhand) do you pivot on your lead foot's heel or on the ball of that foot? I saw a video saying i should pivot on the heel. Is this correct?

If you value your knees, you should pivot on your heel. Makes a huge difference on the torque on your knees especially on grippy surfaces.

I'm sorry, I meant after the reach back as you come forward. Why does it make a difference? I feel safer pivoting on the ball instead of heel lol, regarding getting injured.

Yes, toe pivot means you are not shifting your weight correctly and really killing your snap and distance. If you watch pros, they all pivot on their heels.

Are there any benefits from pivoting from your heel?

From what I gather...heel pivot allows you to rotate your body and keep the disc on the proper line whereas pivoting on the ball feels more athletic, it gets you off of your line and will lead to more inconsistancies...

but im bad so what do I know :) look for feldberg talking about it...he explains it well :)

I'm having a hard time imagining that it's even possible to pivot on your ball with weight on that leg.

Always on the heel, I never put any thought into where I rotated my foot when I started but over the years just from playing more and more I just rotate on my heel.

Watch these two vids. All of it. Lots and lots of detailed explanation by Dave Feldberg himself.

Hmm, I pivot on the heel but finish on the ball. (Maybe that's why I fall down so much.)

I've experimented with both and they both make my knee ache about the same and they both give me the same results after I get used to them. I think that a heel pivot is easier to learn and is overall better for your mechanics, because it will teach you to lean into your leg and use it as a post and shift your weight correctly, whereas lots of times people will just spin on the ball of their foot with a ball pivot.

Heel pivot for me. I do it naturally, never consciously did it.

This. I swore I didn't pivot on my heel but a friend complimented on how i did and also the wear patterns on my shoes shows I do.

I definetly don't when throwIng less than 70-80% power though for balance reasons.

This. I swore I didn't pivot on my heel but a friend complimented on how i did and also the wear patterns on my shoes shows I do.

I definetly don't when throwIng less than 70-80% power though for balance reasons.

I used to think I pivoted on the ball of my foot. I made a video and it turns out that I've always pivoted on my heel.

Land on your toes, pivot on your heel, follow through on your toes.

I pivot on my toes during my follow through. I have been told this isnt correct form, but I just cant seem to change it. I can throw reasonably far, but will the heel pivot actually help getting more D?

Heel....it will kill your snap if you don't....and also the longetivity of a functional knee ;-) pivoting on the heel allows the torso and body to naturally follow through the throw whereas pivoting on the ball brings it all to an abrupt stop before the throw is truley complete.

I pivot on my toes during my follow through. I have been told this isnt correct form, but I just cant seem to change it. I can throw reasonably far, but will the heel pivot actually help getting more D?

I know when I pivot on my heel because I'm about 100 ft further than when I pivot on my toes. When I pivot on my toe it just feels like I don't get the same follow through or with the same fluidity as when I do on my heel.