• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play better in heavily/moderately wooded courses or fairly open courses?

On average, do you play better in wooded courses or fairly open courses?

• Yes

Votes: 66 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Depends on the length of the courses

Votes: 44 29.7%
  • I'm not answering because you're pond diving scum :)

Votes: 30 20.3%

• Total voters
I play best (vs other) at medium length, medium woodsiness. 300-400 with some obstacles fits me pretty well

I find myself often throwing shots that are really random (mainly in the horizontal plane) when playing in the open. I rarely am that inconsistent in the woods....if I was, i'd be doing a lot more bush-whacking than I do.

I've never done the test, but I bet I park (inside 20') 80% of my throws on a 250' generous tunnel fairway (say 20' wide tunnel), but would be more like 60% on a wide open 250' hole.

I wonder if the trees give me visual assistance (reference point for my aim) or if subconsciously I am just more focused in the woods.

I find myself often throwing shots that are really random (mainly in the horizontal plane) when playing in the open. I rarely am that inconsistent in the woods....if I was, i'd be doing a lot more bush-whacking than I do.

I've never done the test, but I bet I park (inside 20') 80% of my throws on a 250' generous tunnel fairway (say 20' wide tunnel), but would be more like 60% on a wide open 250' hole.

I wonder if the trees give me visual assistance (reference point for my aim) or if subconsciously I am just more focused in the woods.

Also wind, and ranging are factors.

As a south Florida guy we have mostly open courses in our area so I tend to do best with open courses. Since my wife and I are really bit by the disc golf bug we play more road trips & I am really trying to do better on wooded courses. Adding a stong forehand and over hand shots has helped.

I've only played at 5 courses and 2 are pretty heavily wooded, one being Roger's park in IN and the other being Wilson park in IN. But normally I think I play better in open courses. Probably because I have only been playing for a little over a year now. But because of the challenge and the shade I do really enjoy playing at new courses that have large wooded areas.

I play better on more open courses because there is less stuff to hit. How is this not everyone's answer?

I play worse on open courses, because:

1) They're usually longer. This leads me into thinking I need to crush a drive, and I wind up grip-locking an understable driver about 60 degrees to the right.

B) I do better when a line is presented for me to throw, rather than choosing one for myself.

III) Wind. I do know how it affects my throws, but it still doesn't make it any easier. Especially with putts at the edge of one's comfort zone.

Probably do best with a mix, but a lot of tightly wooded holes can mess with my game. My main trick shots(FH rollers and flex bombs) don't really do much in that circumstance. I've gotten better playing in the woods after some rounds in WI and MI but still not the best part of my game.

Open, My home course is very long and open, so I like em that way. A wide open hole has no "best" routes trees to make a good shot bad or a bad shot good. and in my opinion is the best way to test real skill. For instance on a ctp I threw a perfect shot right under the basket, another person throws a shot that would have been a 4 or 5 but hit a late tree that makes the disc fall on a log and roll a good distance to under the basket, closer than mine.

Open, My home course is very long and open, so I like em that way. A wide open hole has no "best" routes trees to make a good shot bad or a bad shot good. and in my opinion is the best way to test real skill. For instance on a ctp I threw a perfect shot right under the basket, another person throws a shot that would have been a 4 or 5 but hit a late tree that makes the disc fall on a log and roll a good distance to under the basket, closer than mine.

"And in my opinion. Is the best way to test real skill. For instance, here's a story about pure luck..." Lulz :confused:

My best-rated tournament rounds have been on courses ranging for pretty much wooded to fairly open (but not completely wide open). It's at the extremes that I play poorly; I don't have the arm for wide open, which usually means long-and-wide-open, and don't care for or play well on extremely tight holes.

It's a whole different question as to the kind of courses I like most, to which the answer is, "mixed".

There's more to disc golf than throwing long and straight. Granted, two skills I'd dearly love to have, but not the only two you need to be a complete player.

"And in my opinion. Is the best way to test real skill. For instance, here's a story about pure luck..." Lulz :confused:

I just think in the woods sometimes its the luck of what sort of kick you get, insead of the where in the open if you throw a good shot it cant go bad, or if you throw a bad shot it cant go good, unless under extreme events. I bet we have all played one crazy pinball hole where you hit a tree eventually, almost as a guarantee. I'm perfectly fine with wooded holes, just ones like I stated above are what I dislike when they are used heavily throughout a course.

I play equally crappy on both open and wooded courses.

Wooded courses I find more enjoyable. Throwing across a field seems boring.

Wide open holes are boring unfortunately and ultimately just a distance contest on those particular holes. Any skill level will appreciate getting a bird on a narrow tunnel shot where you have to s-curve your drive to get within putting range. ;)

My form is improving. I have weak/under average distance compared to most, but I can throw very accurate. Wooded courses keep me in the game and gives me a edge over an open course. Plus I like the challenge. Open courses feel like field practice.

Latest posts