• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you play better in heavily/moderately wooded courses or fairly open courses?

On average, do you play better in wooded courses or fairly open courses?

• Yes

Votes: 66 44.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 14.2%
  • Depends on the length of the courses

Votes: 44 29.7%
  • I'm not answering because you're pond diving scum :)

Votes: 30 20.3%

• Total voters
I play poorly when score is being taken. Aside from that I just try to enjoy being outside.

My ratings are about the same for either, but I place better in wooded courses. I don't have the big arm, so I compete better where touch and saavy are necessary components of every hole.

I don't have a big arm, so the woods is a little bit of an equalizer for me. Plus the course I started on is wooded so I basically tried to develop my game around it. My buddy can putt about as good as me, can out-drive me by 100', but we usually play pretty close in wooded courses. "All about the second shot" is what I try to live by.

Do you like the chocolate or vanilla ice cream?

A) Yes
B) No

I play better on fairly open courses, but I don't have any wooded courses in Vegas that I can play often. We have one at Mt Charleston, but it's only open for a couple months a year. Also, it is very steep so I can't compare it to normal wooded courses.

I like playing better on courses where I have to shape some shots. I like moderate woods. Not all tunnel shots.

I've never had the big arm, but a decent game within 300', so naturally I always placed better in tournaments that were held in tight courses...as an Am.

Just noticed the poll...

"Do you play better in wooded courses or fairly open courses?" Followed by Yes or No.

I needed the chuckle. :)

Honestly I think I play best somewhere in the middle. The trees help me focus on where I want to throw, but too narrow of a fairway and it gets tougher (obviously). My favorite kind of holes are probably the ones where you've got alot of big mature oaks, pines, yellow poplars, etc spread throughout. You've got a decent amount of space to get through, but there's still trees to avoid, and the fairways are shaded (I'm super white). But I still like all kinds of fairways.

Much much better on wooded courses. No idea why. Perhaps the tree line helps me visualize

Woods for me, please. Most of the courses around me are wooded so that's what my game is built around. It takes me a few rounds to do as well on an open course b/c I have to remember how to throw farther than wooded courses usually require.

I do just fine in any environment, but I score better relative to other players on longer, more open courses. Courses that favor raw distance will always put me a head of the pack since most players can't consistently throw 450-500'. In a heavily wooded course there are less opportunities to throw 400'+ shots since a lot of holes curve hard 250-300' out, so it's easier for someone who throws 300-350' to keep up.

I do still have an advantage in being able to throw mids and putters 350'+ with control, which is a great shot to have on a wooded course.

ive always thought of myself as a wooded course player, mostly because of forhand drives and upshots, but just now played a nice round on an open course only 4 off the record held by a couple of legit pros. If the wind is low to medium I can hold my own on open courses, otherwise im usualy at my best on technical courses with real fairways. I never do very well on courses with more than 3-4 stupid holes :(

One of my local 9 hole courses is very open, but also very short, so I usually do pretty well on it, despite not having a lot of D. I think the longest hole is only 320', so pretty much every hole is a birdie-able hole. Other than that course though, most wooded courses I do better with, because I throw my mids for almost every shot and just have that much more control.

Latest posts