• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you tap-in during casual rounds?

If I'm within arm's reach of the basket, I pick up my disc and swipe the chains as I walk to next hole. I feel like I'm respecting the basket that way, which probably sounds really weird. For gimmie putts, I'll still putt it in quickly, but that serves more of the purpose of trying to shake some dirt or grass off the disc as it rattles the chains.

This ^^. I will at the very least brush the chains with the disc before moving to the next Tee. And I always toss in the 5'- 10' "gimme" putts. I want my putters to keep accustomed to feeling the chains.

I pretty much try to always tap in during casual rounds (I occasionally get frustrated and ignore a putt, but if I'm scoring my round I always tap in). I also usually observe most other tournament rules concerning play as well during casual rounds. I find it helps me stay in the habit of applying those rules so tournaments aren't a shock and I don't have to be conscious of tournament rules since I already apply them, it keeps my rounds consistent so I pretty much know where I'm at in my game, and I also feel like playing by the rules of the sport is part of playing the sport.

I like to putt out. Once in a while a playing buddy will pick up my disc if it's a gimme, and I would rather they didn't do that, but I don't say anything because it's too trivial in casual rounds. I never see it in tourneys, though.

I had a cardmate one time pick up mine and another cardmate's gimme putts (like within arms reach of the basket) at an unsanctioned tournament I was playing in. It was the next to last hole and none of us really felt we were in contention for the win (plus it was unsanctioned so no ratings impact) so we just let it slide, although I did tell the guy I usually putt those out just to stay in the habit (I think it was the second time I told him that in the round) and the other cardmate chimed in and said he does the same thing. We actually had a guy miss a drop-in putt at my college team's disc golf tournament last year; apparently he dropped it funny and it hit the nubs and rolled out, so even the drop-in putts are important for tournament play, because they can be missed.

In casual rounds with my two regular buddies, we are pretty liberal about picking up short putts. We've played with each other enough and often like to play several rounds a day, so those gimmies are OK with all of us (none of us are as OCD as it seems that a lot of people are). That said, if I'm playing with people who I am less familiar with, I putt everything out.

In tournaments, I don't think having a "gimmie zone" makes any sense. From a pace of play perspective, I think a bigger issue is most players' insistence on putting strictly according to who is away, even if everyone is inside of 10'. I always tell my cardmates that they should feel free to putt out or drop in their park job, and I will ask the first time I'm that close if anyone minds if I drop it in while dude over there is figuring out which putter he is going to use for his 30 footer. It drives me crazy to see two or three guys standing there looking at each other trying to figure out which one is away and should putt first when they are all between 3-5 feet away from the basket...

A related tournament pace of play thought - I wish everyone didn't insist on taking their disc out of the basket before the next person putts. Sure, if it is hanging in the chains it should be moved but if laying flat in the tray just leave it there. There have been many times in a tournament round when the guy who putts before me makes it and starts to go to the basket and I will tell him to leave it, and he looks at me like I have two heads. Let's keep it moving, people. Ready golf would go a long way towards making tournament rounds more tolerable.

In casual rounds with my two regular buddies, we are pretty liberal about picking up short putts. We've played with each other enough and often like to play several rounds a day, so those gimmies are OK with all of us (none of us are as OCD as it seems that a lot of people are). That said, if I'm playing with people who I am less familiar with, I putt everything out.

In tournaments, I don't think having a "gimmie zone" makes any sense. From a pace of play perspective, I think a bigger issue is most players' insistence on putting strictly according to who is away, even if everyone is inside of 10'. I always tell my cardmates that they should feel free to putt out or drop in their park job, and I will ask the first time I'm that close if anyone minds if I drop it in while dude over there is figuring out which putter he is going to use for his 30 footer. It drives me crazy to see two or three guys standing there looking at each other trying to figure out which one is away and should putt first when they are all between 3-5 feet away from the basket...

A related tournament pace of play thought - I wish everyone didn't insist on taking their disc out of the basket before the next person putts. Sure, if it is hanging in the chains it should be moved but if laying flat in the tray just leave it there. There have been many times in a tournament round when the guy who putts before me makes it and starts to go to the basket and I will tell him to leave it, and he looks at me like I have two heads. Let's keep it moving, people. Ready golf would go a long way towards making tournament rounds more tolerable.

In casual rounds, I agree, we don't clear putts often. But I have seen putts bounce back out off of other discs, so I would want an empty basket to putt at in a tournament. If you don't mind the risk though, no issue.

Depends on how crowded the course is, I would put most over 10 feet. In a somewhat related event tonight at glow I chained out of two tonight on the drive. One blew 30 feet past the basket, putted out for a 2. The other landed less than 3 feet from the basket. I picked it up, went to drop it in, slipped on the muddy ground as I reached for the basket. It was knocked from my hand by the basket and hit the ground, we laughed, my partner saved me by dropping his in the basket for the 2.....

I have a buddy who gets pretty liberal with the tap-in zone. I figure it this way, you're only hurting your own scores if you're not taking putts you need to. Brushing the chains is good enough for me casually.

I personally feel cheated if I don't hear the clank of chains. Must be a carry over from ball golf. I always putted gimmies, just loved that sound of a ball in the cup.

If I'm within an arm's reach, I'll slap the chains and move on. If I'm 5-10ish feet out, I'll pick my disc up and toss it in the basket all in one motion while on the walk. If I miss for whatever reason, I will stop, get another disc out of my bag, quickly set my feet, and make the putt to properly finish out the hole. That is what I do mostly when playing solo because I am usually trying to play a quick round. If I'm with a group, I will slow down a bit and if I do miss the 10'er, I will count the stroke.

I see an awful lot of missed 10 foot putts. Unless you're really playing for nothing, then I guess it doesn't matter, but even a friendly competition with nothing on the line, I'm making people putt it unless it's basically inside arms reach.

growing our sport includes some serious rule changes. remember the one if your disc got caught in a tree branch it was a stroke. we foolishly let this lay on the rules books too long.

If we want to speed up play, making tourney more attractive and less boring for the public to watch here is one rule I would like to alter.

If your disc is within two meters which is very close to a reach in you can grab and go.

This will speed up play and make for a better looking green in terms of a bunch of us waiting around to "put in our park jobs."

This would be a group enforced rule, so at any time you see someone taking advantage like not putting their 10 footer they would be warned. Next time they have to put everything including the drop ins.

The USDGC experimented one year with a sort of casual relief circle, where players had to back out of it to putt.

I almost always hole out, not so much cuz of the rules or mojo but just so I dont forget to hole out when it matters in competitive play. Every once in a while I just take the gimme to pick up the pace of a slowing round.

I get tapping the chains or the rim if you can reach. or skipping a gimmee if it's raining or you're running out of light or if your holding up another group. But the WHOLE object of our little game is to put the disc into the basket. That is it. One objective. That is what I go to the course to do -- throw Frisbees towards and then into the baskets. If I don't care about putting it in the basket, I could just go throw in a field (which I also love to do).

I missed a 5-footer at the Michigan state finals in the late '90s when a Ludington wind gust kicked up as I was just letting go of my putter. CLANK, an inch too low. That one hurt.

Practice those gimmies! What have you got to lose?