• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you tap-in during casual rounds?

CabMakio

Bogey Member
Even if I find myself 6 inches from the basket, I pick up my disc and place it in the basket

I can understand people not wanting to bother when they're 6 inches away, but when I play with my buddies I notice none of them bother within 10 feet, if they find themselves that close they just pick up their disc and walk to the next tee (while adding the stroke they didn't take). I have to admit it bothers me to watch that

Sure, you will make a 10 foot putt 98 times out of 100, but maybe if you practice that shot during casual rounds you can improve to 99 out of 100, and if you aren't finishing every hole, can you really consider your score for the day legit? Maybe today was the day you got unlucky, missed the 8 footer, and added a throw to your score

I admit maybe I'm too much of a stickler for the rules so I'm curious what other people think? Do you play every hole to the end in casual rounds? If not, what distance do you consider a gimmie?

Last edited:
If I'm within arm's reach of the basket, I pick up my disc and swipe the chains as I walk to next hole. I feel like I'm respecting the basket that way, which probably sounds really weird. For gimmie putts, I'll still putt it in quickly, but that serves more of the purpose of trying to shake some dirt or grass off the disc as it rattles the chains.

I like to putt out. Once in a while a playing buddy will pick up my disc if it's a gimme, and I would rather they didn't do that, but I don't say anything because it's too trivial in casual rounds. I never see it in tourneys, though.

If I'm within arm's reach of the basket, I pick up my disc and swipe the chains as I walk to next hole. I feel like I'm respecting the basket that way, which probably sounds really weird. For gimmie putts, I'll still putt it in quickly, but that serves more of the purpose of trying to shake some dirt or grass off the disc as it rattles the chains.

That's what I generally do. I ain't marking and dropping my disc into the basket unless its in a Tourney and I think its really dumb to do then but those be the rules. 10 footer I would putt, 5 ft maybe/maybe not.

During a casual round, if I'm so close I can actually place the disc in the basket, I just tap the chains and move on.

The only time I'll literally just pick a disc up and consider it a gimme is when a group lets me play through, and I'm no more than maybe 3-5 ft from the basket... don't see the point in making them wait any longer than they have to.

I like to putt out. Once in a while a playing buddy will pick up my disc if it's a gimme, and I would rather they didn't do that....

I'm with you, Jeff.

The disc goes in the basket. Even if I just touch the bottom of the cage with it from 8 inches away. Unless I'm in a rush for some particular reason. But I'd rarely rather be anywhere else.

If I'm playing a round by myself, and when I'm not keeping score, then I'll periodically pick up without putting out if it's close. Other than that, with very few exceptions (like the playing through example above), I putt out. If my disc is within arm's reach in a casual round, I may just brush the chains rather than dropping it in.

I always putt out, sometimes that includes a swipe at the chains if I'm that close.

During a casual round, if I'm so close I can actually place the disc in the basket, I just tap the chains and move on.

The only time I'll literally just pick a disc up and consider it a gimme is when a group lets me play through, and I'm no more than maybe 3-5 ft from the basket... don't see the point in making them wait any longer than they have to.

This is what I do

I have a few friends and family that do NOT like me to pick up their disc, and I respect their wishes.
Me? If it's a casual round, then I play casually. I may pick up the disc if it's close or I may putt. Depends on the situation.

....and if you aren't finishing every hole, can you really consider your score for the day legit? Maybe today was the day you got unlucky, missed the 8 footer, and added a throw to your score

What difference does the score make, in a casual round? So every 10th casual round, my score is a stroke off what it might have been---I can live with that.

I hedge a lot of rules in casual play. I may throw a second, practice throw or putt. I may take more than 30 seconds. I may flip, or kick, my disc instead of marking it. I may play the holes out of order. I'm casual in a casual round.

Which includes merely picking up my discs in automatic situations. I'm not getting anything extra out of an 8' putt, on level ground without wind. I don't think I can whittle my accuracy from 99.0% to 99.5% by throwing a few extra every casual around.

Which isn't to say the OP, or anyone else, is wrong. Casual rounds are whatever you want them to be.

this has been getting to me more and more lately. I can see it being ok if your right under the basket or within arms reach, but a few in the group I play with seem pretty liberal about it. So, on the last few rounds I started casually walk off what "some" are calling gimmies and some of them were 18ft out.

It really only annoys me at the end when they say they kicked my ass today and I think to myself, yeah, because you didn't have to putt.

In golf ball golf, I would always putt out and did not give "gimme" putts to other players (otherwise they would assume 'gimme' putts at increasingly long distances).

Same in disc golf. Rather than swipe the chains, I try to put the disc in the basket without the disc touching the chains, if I can get that close. But I always putt out.

this has been getting to me more and more lately. I can see it being ok if your right under the basket or within arms reach, but a few in the group I play with seem pretty liberal about it. So, on the last few rounds I started casually walk off what "some" are calling gimmies and some of them were 18ft out.

It really only annoys me at the end when they say they kicked my ass today and I think to myself, yeah, because you didn't have to putt.

A little different when the casual round is, in some way, a competition.

I don't see how practicing drop ins would help anyone's game. I don't just pick up mine but other discs near the basket also unless, like others have said, I know they prefer to finish themselves.

I'm with Halcon. While I don't follow through with PDGA rulings of "holing out," I do tap the basket or run chains as I step away. Just feels incomplete to me if I don't. There's no reason to do it for a casual round. If you're within your "known" range, say, 10-15' for just about everyone, I see no reason not to just pick up and go. I just have a mental hangup personally on hearing the chains.

Assuming its super casual and there is no sort of friendly competition going on I have no issue with anyone picking up putts, or fairway shots for that matter if they don't feel like finishing the hole. If there is some sort of competition, even without a wager, then you should at least make sure your buddy is cool with your perceived gimme distance to keep things gravy. When I'm practicing and park a drive or approach I just pick up my putter and take a few steps back and putt as I see no point in practicing tap ins.