• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does a new year mean new plastic for you?

I play all twelve months of the year, but I am on a wife initiated disc lockdown until June due to admittedly spending a little too much on discs in the last six months. I typically buy backups for my backups, and then I buy backups for the backups' backups. :D

With that being said, I plan on nabbing a Patriot, an Obex, and probably another stack of Wizards. Come onnnnnnn June!

I switched my bag to all Discraft because they lost a good portion of their players to Prodigy. Totally kidding that's not why I switched. I hope to play enough tournaments and do fairly decent so I can buy my backups first hand and not over the Internet.

I'm one of those skeptics that believes that "newer" molds from many of the new companies aren't really much different than the ones that have been out for years. I mean, if the plastic feels similar, and the flight numbers are pretty similar, why would I replace a Leopard, Teebird, Firebird, Wraith, Destroyer, etc?

I just kinda of throw the stuff I know works, and most of the time I test out something new, it's not much different than a disc I already have in the bag.

I picked up a Vibram Lace and really like the feel of it. I'm considering switch to an all Vibram bag. $$$ being the only issue.

I bought my son a lace, and it felt like it was the most comfortable high speed driver ever. and I think easy release technology was put onto the lace as well. such an awesome disc. too bad I don't throw it. already have esp nuke.

I picked up a Vibram Lace and really like the feel of it. I'm considering switch to an all Vibram bag. $$$ being the only issue.

Personal preference aside, I've never understood why people consider using only one company's product. Just like in almost every other sport, there are so many great products available today from so many different companies.

When I first started playing, the only option was Innova, Discraft, and Gateway. (forgive me Lightning, you bastion of head shop walls everywhere)

My bag today is filled with Innova drivers and mids, Discraft mids, and Gateway putters. If I find something new & worthwhile from another company, I'll never hesitate to replace something else in the bag, regardless of brand.

its all about getting one company's discs down good enough to know that you had the focus and determination to learn one brand and not just pick whatever works the best from all brands. if the pros can do it I dont see why we shouldn't be trying to do it also. to me it just makes sense.

This year i decided to check out legacy after some urging from a friend.. So it looks like i am going to try a rampage, cannon and clozer and perhaps the patriot....

I will definately NOT be buying any new molds this year. And hopefully I will not have to buy any more discs at all. I am finally happy with what I have in my bag! I will still buy a replacement if I loose one and if I see a good deal on a disc I throw I will buy it for backup. But no new molds. I was considering getting the Zombee when it is realeased but we will have to see (sounds alot like my XL).
I will also have to see what molds they release in Ti this year too. Though I have not been impressed by it so far.

sigh, just bought a couple more Z Drones and another Glo King Cobra. These discs have turned into my money mids. I didn't even pull out a roc sunday, just used these 2 mids and my kc aviar for all mid shots and scored great. My bag is evolving, but in about a week, should be fairly set in stone for the year.

I only bought putters so far. Last year I switched from old pro rhynos to SSS wizards. This year I am going to try stiffer wizards (Soft, SS, Eraser). My mids and drivers are all set for this years season(I have a weak spot for putters).

I'm scouting for some flat stiff Teebirds to be a slightly overstable compliment to my domey glow Teebird (which flies like a river now, seriously beautiful turnover shots)

We'll see what happens. Also working on simplifying my bag mold wise

its all about getting one company's discs down good enough to know that you had the focus and determination to learn one brand and not just pick whatever works the best from all brands. if the pros can do it I dont see why we shouldn't be trying to do it also. to me it just makes sense.

But the pros that do it, only do it for companies who have every spot in the bag filled for every level of player 10 times over.

And I know for a fact that Gateway promoted the use of other company's discs for their sponsored players. I can understand having an entire bag of Innova or Discraft but there are plenty of brands like Vibram, that I don't believe cover every slot in the bag for every type of player.

At this point, here's what triggers my disc transactions:
1) replace something (or have back-ups).
2) try out a new mold, plastic or weight.. something I think may be different from what I currently have.
3) Some deal where I perceive a net gain for the transaction:
- purchase hard to find or OOP plastic below market value.
- trade one such disc for a few throwers (since I'm not a collector or fan of OOP)

I pretty much only buy/trade when it fits one of the above. :|

Last edited:
I am definitely going to get some production champ Roc 3s and throw them for my straight mid slot to replace my 20th anniversary star San Marino roc. Have been liking the Star Vulcan lately for hyzer flip straight drives and may try more out for rollers. If I can find a Champ one, all the better!

Personal preference aside, I've never understood why people consider using only one company's product. Just like in almost every other sport, there are so many great products available today from so many different companies.

When I first started playing, the only option was Innova, Discraft, and Gateway. (forgive me Lightning, you bastion of head shop walls everywhere)

My bag today is filled with Innova drivers and mids, Discraft mids, and Gateway putters. If I find something new & worthwhile from another company, I'll never hesitate to replace something else in the bag, regardless of brand.

Right now, my bag is Innova, Discraft, Lat64, Prodigy and Vibram. I doubt I'll actually switch as I like my Buzz and Roadrunner too much and I find MVP very intriguing. One of my main considerations is durability and I think Virbram pretty much has that market cornered. I also keep hearing "it's the archer, not the arrow", so not sure I need as many molds as I'm carrying around now. I think Vibram has discs to cover just about any shot.