• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Does ESP FLX plastic suck?

I just bought a ESP FLX Avenger and I'm not totally impressed with it. I've never thrown anything in that plastic before, so I have nothing to compare it to. I wouldn't say it sucks, it's just glideless and very overstable. I'll stick with my SOLFs for now.

I wouldn't argue with the lack of glide. And I think it's confirmed it was a great winter plastic. The Drone, you expect overstable and don't depend on glide, so it was a good fit there (I bag one). I also putt/approach with an FLX Challenger, which probably makes more sense for the approaches--you want it to hit a spot with no glide and stick there--and when it comes to putting it's mostly about feel anyway.

Interesting to hear some say has no glide. I have z flx heat I find very glidey. Glides just as well as my Escape, which also has great glide. Z flx heat did start out more stable than I was expecting. Also like for winter as others said.

Ya know what, now that i think of it, I have an ESP FLX buzz too and that sucker is glideless, at least in comparison to it's class. Wonder if that's reason I don't understand fuss over buzzzs?

I've got a misprint ESP flx Buzzz i got back in like 2010/2011 (I only know at least 2011 because I inked an ace on it). I think it's got great glide. It's my most straight throwing mid range with no fade. I can put it on a soft anny line and it will hold just until the end. I wish I could get another just like it

I checked my Buzzz again and I may have been mistaken - it appears to be regular ESP. Sorry.

I love FLX plastic....

OK. Over the years I've tried a few different FLX drivers, mainly Surges. Never been a fan of the plastic. Its super gummy and tends to not fly very well.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I found a FLX Nuke SS in some thick weeds. OK, sounds intriguing. A Nuke SS that might be a hair more stable than a Z Nuke SS...
Nope. MASSIVELY overstable. The thing flies like a Flick. Zero glide and no distance to speak of. It flies like a dinner plate. Probably the crappiest representation of a mold I've ever seen in a disc.

The plastic blows. None of the FLX discs I've ever thrown have flown as advertised. They don't glide and are overstable as hell.

Anyone else feel the same?

I have to disagree. I think the FLX plastic was the best plastic that Discraft made. If Champion or Z plastic hits a tree in a tunnel hole it will bound off further into trouble than FLX plastic will with the same shot. In addition, on approaches FLX is more likely to stop closer to the basket and have fewer roll-aways. Also, FLX is much better in the winter. Discraft has made a major mistake discontinuing FLX since it was the plastic that most separated it from all other retailers. The fact Innova and Triology have attempted to come out with similar more flexible plastics (i.e., G or Lava, etc.) is a testament to the usefulness of the plastic. I also think in general that Z FLX is not as good or as consistent in my experience.

I have not found any of my FLX plastic to be particularly more stable or overstable than any other plastic for the same disc mold. Other plastics from other companies have more differences within the same molds. For example, I have always found the Champion plastic for a Wraith to be much more overstable than the star or pro plastics. I have always found the Glow, Ti and Z plastics for the Buzzz to be more stable than FLX.

My first Buzzz was in ESP plastic not long after I started and I hated it. I later tried it in FLX plastic on a lark because I liked the stamp/dye and immediately loved how it flew and the feel. I have always carried a Buzzz ever since. I currently carry two or three Buzzz's in Z and FLX plastics. In heavy tree tunnel shot courses I might substitute the Z FLX for the Z. :thmbup:

My bag also includes FLX plastics in the Surge SS, and depending on the course, in a Surge, Avenger SS and Drone. I am really pissed with Discraft for deciding to discontinue FLX (as you may be able to tell). :mad:

I liked the Buzzz in this plastic okay. It flew very straight right out of the box and worked into a nice turnover disc for me. I especially liked bagging that disc for wooded courses because if...I mean when...I would hit a tree, it would drop straight down rather than rocketing off the fairway like a more firm disc tends to do.

i like the esp flx for having an overstable version of a mold. like the surge having one of the esp flx's for a head wind or distance control is a nice complement to the z and regular esp.

OK. Over the years I've tried a few different FLX drivers, mainly Surges. Never been a fan of the plastic. Its super gummy and tends to not fly very well.

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I found a FLX Nuke SS in some thick weeds. OK, sounds intriguing. A Nuke SS that might be a hair more stable than a Z Nuke SS...
Nope. MASSIVELY overstable. The thing flies like a Flick. Zero glide and no distance to speak of. It flies like a dinner plate. Probably the crappiest representation of a mold I've ever seen in a disc.

The plastic blows. None of the FLX discs I've ever thrown have flown as advertised. They don't glide and are overstable as hell.

Anyone else feel the same?

Disagree. I used to throw nukes and I thought it was great because I'd keep an x nuke, z or esp nuke and a tabletop flx nuke. Covered all my distance lines including hurricane force winds.

I've owned a couple of Avenger SS's in ESP FLX, I thought they flew as advertised, not a huge arm, but have gotten some of my longest drives ever with them, was maybe a bit more stable than a Roadrunner. Sucks the plastic wasn't as popular, if I threw more Discraft I wouldn't have minded trying a Buzzz or Zone in it.

The Drone should only be thrown in it's native plastic. 10/10 would FLX again. It is funny how they initially released the Drone in a winter plastic - in white:doh:

I had an ASS in FLX that I liked but didn't care for the Surge I had. My guess is the slower the disc the more you'll like FLX. Had a couple Buzzz' in it and though I enjoyed them I'm a sucker for ESP Buzzz' so that's the route I'm going to continue to take.

The FLX Nuke SS is seriously the worst driver I've ever thrown. Complete god-awful piece of crap. I don't really care how the plastic feels. I'm not a super fan of gummy plastic anyway, but FLX simply doesn't fly right.

It could be better in mids. I don't know. I don't care.

^I respect your opinion and yeah don't throw that disc then.

Devil's advocate, why do you think people carry a Brinster TB, beat Champ/Star, and a DX? That way the disc feels the same in your hand yet covers more than one flight. Not the first person in this thread to mention that...

Same goes for countless other molds. How is that better or worse than a FB, TB, Sidewinder combo (for example)?

The FLX Nuke SS is seriously the worst driver I've ever thrown. Complete god-awful piece of crap. I don't really care how the plastic feels. I'm not a super fan of gummy plastic anyway, but FLX simply doesn't fly right.

It's not the plastic. It's just how that one disc you have in your possession molded up (which, as mentioned earlier, can be an issue with gummy plastics and wide rimmed drivers.) A FLX Nuke SS with a regular plh for that mold, should fly fine. I've a FLX Force that flies just like my Ti. We both seem to not like floppy discs, but if we did, we would be able to handpick some good FLX distance drivers .

So you don't care about how it is in mids, so the thread is more, "does FLX suck in drivers?" Well, it seems: not in freezing temps, not in woods where you want to avoid massive tree kicks, and not to mold minimalists. If you hate floppy discs or can't hand pick them based on plh? Yes, it sucks.

I have a 172 NukeSS in ESP FLX that I really enjoy throwing. IMO it's held on to its flight characteristics longer than any other driver I've had. Still over stable enough for forehand drives and it does really well in wooded courses where tree hits are kind of inevitable. Also had an ESP Flx Buzz, but I really did prefer my Z buzz over that, probably just never beat him in. All in all o think the plastic is fine, maybe you just caught a dud.

:\

I did not think they made a FLX Nuke SS. I think you are talking about the 'Z FLX" Nuke SS. That plastic is apparently replacing the original FLX plastic. I don't particularly like that plastic the same as the FLX or technically ESP FLX in any mold.

:\

I did not think they made a FLX Nuke SS. I think you are talking about the 'Z FLX" Nuke SS. That plastic is apparently replacing the original FLX plastic. I don't particularly like that plastic the same as the FLX or technically ESP FLX in any mold.

Nope, its definitely ESP. The disc is a freak of nature. I'll send free to anyone who needs a suck ass driver. Flies like a dinner plate.

I have an ESP FLX Glo Zone, 2017 Ledgestone disc. It's probably my most-thrown disc. Love how nicely it sticks on approaches. After almost three years, it's finally losing some of its overstability, and so I have just replaced it in the bag with one of the new Cryztal Flx Sparkle 2020 Ledgestone Zones, which I'm loving so far.

I would probably hate this plastic for anything other than an approach disc, though.

Latest posts