• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

dogs on leases

The guy who runs his dog off leash can't complain about other people with their dogs off leash. The only place this should happen in public is an enclosed dog park.

How about non-inhabited land?

Seriously, there are places this is appropriate and place it's simply NOT.

I think we are saying the same thing but maybe not. I have no idea what you are referring to by "non inhabited land", but I suspect the disc golf course wasnt in the middle of the rain forest.

I'm a dog owner and leash my dog in public, both for the sake of others, and to protect my dog.

The only time a dog can legally be off a leash on public land is during hunting season or training season and you, the owner, are a licensed hunter. This applies only to land where hunting or training is allowed.

Otherwise, the dog MUST be leashed.

I think we are saying the same thing but maybe not. I have no idea what you are referring to by "non inhabited land", but I suspect the disc golf course wasnt in the middle of the rain forest.

I'm a dog owner and leash my dog in public, both for the sake of others, and to protect my dog.

We are, but if I'm in the wilderness.. and it's not an otherwise sensitive area.. then...

btw, laws are not always the same. I do not need to be a licensed hunter (during hunting season) on federal land to have my dog off leash in this jurisdiction.

The guy who runs his dog off leash can't complain about other people with their dogs off leash. The only place this should happen in public is an enclosed dog park.

I do not go to dog parks because of other dog OWNERS. Their dog is "just playing." My boy is "aggressive" when he's had enough and upends their dog and pins it to the ground. All dog "play" is establishing dominance.

We are, but if I'm in the wilderness.. and it's not an otherwise sensitive area.. then...

btw, laws are not always the same. I do not need to be a licensed hunter (during hunting season) on federal land to have my dog off leash in this jurisdiction.

Ok, thanks for clarification. I was referring to suburban areas. I honestly would not be comfortable running my dog off leash in the same property others may or may not be hunting.

I personally love dogs, but they need to be on a leash for sure, the course I am building is on farm land surrounded by farmers that do not have their dog fenced in or anything. Because of this I am going to have to ban dogs from my course sadly, just because other people do not keep their dogs under control. This is from a liability standpoint and it kills me to do it.

If you can catch enough of his/their dogs, you could build a makeshift dog sled and take them back to the farmers in style. You could put antlers on their heads and dress like Santa, but that may be a little over the top.

Ok, thanks for clarification. I was referring to suburban areas. I honestly would not be comfortable running my dog off leash in the same property others may or may not be hunting.

yea, during hunting season the only dogs I've had off-leash were hunting dogs.

Then again, I don't do that anymore. Being shot at wasn't any fun, at all.

If you can catch enough of his/their dogs, you could build a makeshift dog sled and take them back to the farmers in style. You could put antlers on their heads and dress like Santa, but that may be a little over the top.

That would be funny, but it would probably make the owners mad.. Thats what I don't want, they kinda watch over the place and don't want them to become the vandals they watch out for. hahaha

Your dog should be on a leash if you are playing at a public course. Same with the other 3 people you've run into. Either leash the dog or leave it at home. It doesn't matter if you think your dog behaves better than other people's dogs.

My owner never has to leash me. He will though out of courtesy to the other park users and dogs if they come near :)

I don't see any reason why a truly well trained dog should be required to be on a leash.

If you tell your dog to "heel" and it doesn't leave your side under any circumstances, what's it matter if there's a leash connected to it or not?

If a dog is well trained, a leash is not a burden on neither dog nor owner. When walking, they should not be pulling on the leash, so you won't really notice it's there. If you want to run them, there are dedicated dog parks for that.

My dogs play golf with me every time I go and never wear leashes. They stay right with me and are not allowed to harass or run up to anyone. I do have trouble with other peoples dogs running up to us but they are still not allowed to harass other peoples dogs. I feel bad for them sometimes when the other dogs try to tear into them but it is my job to run them off. My dogs only wear leashes when they go to the vet. So if you see someone with two big German Shepherds on the course and they are at my heals or sitting and watching me throw you know who it is.

I don't see any reason why a truly well trained dog should be required to be on a leash.

If you tell your dog to "heel" and it doesn't leave your side under any circumstances, what's it matter if there's a leash connected to it or not?

If that's your belief (and it's perfectly reasonable), then you cede all right to complain about other folks and whether their dogs are leashed or not. Everyone thinks their dog is well trained, until it isn't. Can't count how many times I've seen a dog do something (barking, jumping, running away, not heeding commands) and the owner saying "he's never done that before". We're still talking about an animal that has in-born instincts that can't be 100% trained away.

Leash laws exist for a reason, and they're not conditional. Nor should they be.

It ruins the experience for people or dogs who have had many bad experiences with unleashed dogs. The have no way of knowing if a loose dog is truly well-trained or not.

Their day changes from enjoying a round to worrying about how to avoid the dog if it suddenly becomes untrained and starts acting in a manner the owner "has never seen before" because the other person or dog "must be doing something to upset him".

Latest posts