• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Driver advice for 400' power

I think Reniger and AIM are winning me over. I'll probably go for an S PD. I used to have a teebird and I love the idea of having a disc that flys like a longer faster teebird. Since ultimately, what matters is accurate distance, not just distance. And I know I'll get a better throw if I'm comfortable and confident with my grip and release of the disc. Then maybe go up to a 2.1cm disc next, probably the trespass.

S-line PD. It dumps though, you can try your hardest to crank on it and it will laser out there and then dump out.
It will show you if you have 400' of serious power, mine dumps at 350-375. I can throw my FD there too, but need a good s-line and not as much power and no wind.
PD is a great disc!

I would say the Trespass is a great disc for getting good distance. However, it will eventually have the same issue as the Saint as it kind of losses its HSS fairly quick.

S-PD is a great choice for stable accuracy. I can consistently hit 425' with my DDX's and or Destroyer's, and love my PD's. But like mentioned above, a fresh S-PD will be pretty stable, and fade really strong once it slows down. I can only get my new S-PD out to about 350' on a flat straight pull. But I can get my seasoned S-PD out to almost 400' on the same line, with maybe a very tiny hint of high speed turn if thrown completely flat on release, finishing with a much softer fade. And that S-PD has been in my bag for years...

IMO the PD flies like a faster, more stable Teebird that is much better into winds due to the added stability. When new, because of the added stability at my power level, I can't throw my PD much farther than a Teebird. But once it seasons in a bit, you'll see that extra speed translate to added distance.

Interesting! All your comments are making me want to try out a G PD now, I read on ATDG that the G plastic PD is a bit less stable and glides more. That would probably help me transition more from throwing my super glidy and not very stable Saint on most drives.

Interesting! All your comments are making me want to try out a G PD now, I read on ATDG that the G plastic PD is a bit less stable and glides more. That would probably help me transition more from throwing my super glidy and not very stable Saint on most drives.

Instead of gstar you could try out a lighter sPD. I have a 167 that I carry and it's pretty awesome for controlling max distance. Much more carry than max weight, noticeably more so. without sacrificing much stability at all.

Instead of gstar you could try out a lighter sPD. I have a 167 that I carry and it's pretty awesome for controlling max distance. Much more carry than max weight, noticeably more so. without sacrificing much stability at all.

I agree with this, you'll get more distance before the fade kicks in with a lighter S-PD around 165g or so. Or you can pick up a P-PD to go along with the S-PD. The P-line will start out with less fade and more glide, and beat into a fantastic turnover driver. It makes an awesome pairing to have with a stable S-PD in the bag.

I don't throw discs above speed 8 very often, but iDiscgolf let me borrow a S PD that was in the 150g range. I used it only for forehand shots, but I was able to get stupid easy distance out of it. It wasn't super beefy, nice and straight with a reliable fade/skip at the end. It held up well on windy days despite the light weight. Give a 150g class PD a try if you can find one.

I think Reniger and AIM are winning me over. I'll probably go for an S PD. I used to have a teebird and I love the idea of having a disc that flys like a longer faster teebird. Since ultimately, what matters is accurate distance, not just distance. And I know I'll get a better throw if I'm comfortable and confident with my grip and release of the disc. Then maybe go up to a 2.1cm disc next, probably the trespass.

So I used to throw opto saints and gold line swords(w/e the WS GL plastic is called)and dropped both for just PDs. I was throwing destroyers as well but I honestly can throw my seasoned S-PDs as far, if not farther, than my destroyers. My advice would be to get on the Discmania Discs Market Place or Discmania Collectors and Throwers Group on facebook and you should be able to find some good deals on both fresh and/or used PDs. C-PDs are all beefy with some runs being considerably more beefy where as S-PDs start out pretty OS but break in to a magic disc. My oldest/best disc in the bag is a 2nd run shield stamp S-PD that's ive been throwing for 3 years and is MONEY. It's my "What in the hell did you just throw?" disc.

I've never tried a driver under 173, sounds like a fun idea!

You are really missing out. I like max wts in general but there is room in most bags for a lighter counterpart of a favorite mold. They are great for wooded courses and tailwind drives.

I throw 400 standard consistent full power drive 450 with rare perfect timing. I prefer a Nuke for overstable hyzering shots but not too overstable so I still get good glide. Similar to a Force but about 30 feet farther. I also prefer a Crank which is essentially a seasoned Nuke for drives with turn which will glide about 30 or feet farther and make that 450+ happen. I use max weight for consistent timing but lighter will glide a little farther.

If you're uncomfortable with bigger rims then just stick with something similar to a Saint. How beat is your Saint? If it's pretty worn then you could have a new one for a bit more stability and pair it with an S-Line PD, which will have quite a bit more stability to it. And of course, still use your old Saint for shots that need turn.

I've officially ordered a 160g S-PD! I'll let you all know what my initial thoughts are once it comes in and I try it out a bit!

If you're still looking for something different:

TP Boatman.

It's not a huge rim, still quite comfortable to me, and it flies similar to a PD - wants to hold a straight line and has a moderate fade at the end - but goes longer for me. I can get on it a bit and have never really had them flip if I release them right. Even into a mild headwind it will track right but not flip and has enough stability to pull out of it.

Underrated disc, don't hear too much talk about them online. I was recommended it by a guy on Team L64 and it's working out very nicely so far.

If you're still looking for something different:

TP Boatman.

It's not a huge rim, still quite comfortable to me, and it flies similar to a PD - wants to hold a straight line and has a moderate fade at the end - but goes longer for me. I can get on it a bit and have never really had them flip if I release them right. Even into a mild headwind it will track right but not flip and has enough stability to pull out of it.

Underrated disc, don't hear too much talk about them online. I was recommended it by a guy on Team L64 and it's working out very nicely so far.

I've always been curious about these, but like you said, no one ever talks about them. I sorta figured there must be something wrong with 'em.

I'll have to pick one of these up and try it out.

Latest posts