• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Practice With Putters

I got you covered:
Your balance is insane to make it 360 around your front leg! Are you starting with a four finger grip and then going to two fingers at the top of the backswing?

Your balance is insane to make it 360 around your front leg! Are you starting with a four finger grip and then going to two fingers at the top of the backswing?

I don't normally twirl around like a figure skater but I was throwing on wet carpet :D

I try to throw every backhand shot with a four finger power grip but no matter what I do my pinky comes off. Maybe its a habit I picked up early on, since my first two months I used a three finger grip.

Yeah I've never seen a full 360 like that...if the ground was that slippery I'd be scared to throw above 60% I bet. Have you ever had your throw speed clocked?

At 54 and in my 3rd year of rated pdga play, I can throw my SSS Wizard 300ft. Not every single throw because release height plays a big part in putter distance, but routinely 275+ all day long. One thing I am 100% convinced of, throwing putters has greatly...and I mean greatly..improved my distance potential (with other discs) because if you want to throw a putter far, it's not just about arm speed, you need to develop good snap to maximize the spin on the disc.

At 54 and in my 3rd year of rated pdga play, I can throw my SSS Wizard 300ft. Not every single throw because release height plays a big part in putter distance, but routinely 275+ all day long. One thing I am 100% convinced of, throwing putters has greatly...and I mean greatly..improved my distance potential (with other discs) because if you want to throw a putter far, it's not just about arm speed, you need to develop good snap to maximize the spin on the disc.

And you used to be amazed by that! :clap:

My form is coming along, but this is where I break down. I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find the secret to good snap.

There's no secret, I used to think there was too as it seemed to be described that way years ago. Best thing I could say is keep the arm out wide so you don't round your throw, and so that your elbow and wrist can act as levers...this is as much as "snap" happens I'd say. From there it's all body mechanics to get the velocity up, no escaping that. But there is definitely a jump going from a rounded throw using only your shoulder with a straight arm, to having an elbow-forward position and more extended arm.

My form is coming along, but this is where I break down. I've looked everywhere but can't seem to find the secret to good snap.

Yeah, HUB's water bottle drill helped me quite a bit. It wasn't natural for me to bring the disc into the right pec, or "power pocket." It seems like when I do that, I get some snap.

There's a video called "closed shoulder snap drill" that's worth watching, but the audio is a little low.

slowplastic's right, though. It ultimately comes down to mechanics and getting release velocity. I think that some newer players focus too much on weird things to get snap, and then they pick up a little extra uncontrollable distance. Not worth it...

I think that some newer players focus too much on weird things to get snap, and then they pick up a little extra uncontrollable distance. Not worth it...

I'm familiar with this phenomenon. I was thinking about snap during doubles last night, and I think I hit the first tree off the tee box on 10 of 18 holes.

It ultimately comes down to mechanics and getting release velocity. I think that some newer players focus too much on weird things to get snap, and then they pick up a little extra uncontrollable distance. Not worth it...

Yeah I definitely fell into this. The way I read/understood the older DGR articles it seemed like snap was magical and if you got the disc to a certain place in your swing that you would easily throw over 400'. Instead, you have to put your body in the right positions and the disc/your arm will end up there at the end of the throw...but with proper momentum.

Focusing on getting snap got me to some easy 330' shots and up to 350', but I could lose the 350' from day to day and it was super inconsistent for finding that feel.

That being said, arm/elbow positioning so you don't round your throw and throw only with your shoulder is crucial.

Latest posts