• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

driving range distance markers

Marmoset

* Ace Member *
My local course just removed a bunch of obstacles and opened up a huge field. We have 2 separate 19 hole courses that are fairly well-established so, instead of modifying the courses to a new layout, I'm looking into the idea of using the huge field as a driving range.

Does anyone else's course have a driving range?
If yes, how do you mark the distances?

I'm thinking about putting in large paver stones with spray paint stenciled distances. The town will still need to mow the grass so I thought pavers would be a good way to keep them from having to mow around new obstacles. But I am definitely open to other ideas!

We took some massive stone blocks from the pile at a different place on the property. We put one out every 100'. We bought some 9x12 metal signs and got 6' vinyl numbers. That does pretty well. You can't really read the 400' dign, but you know what it is.

one course here has a couple long holes that have stone markers in the ground every 100ft, but the paint has wore off & the grass almost fully covers them now. it would be cool if the pavers were in the shape of the numbers you want, so they would require even less maintenance... like bricks arranged to spell out the # you want.

Back in the olden days, right after we finished Wellspring, to accompany Cedarock, we had our own gate, driveway and parking lot for the two courses, with Cedarock beginning on current #9 and Wellspring starting on current #15 (the old score card box metal post is still there). We used the big field that is now Cedarock holes 7 and 8, as a driving range. We used the cut utility type posts that served as some of the original targets on the courses as measurement markers.

one course here has a couple long holes that have stone markers in the ground every 100ft, but the paint has wore off & the grass almost fully covers them now. it would be cool if the pavers were in the shape of the numbers you want, so they would require even less maintenance... like bricks arranged to spell out the # you want.

This is a neat idea. Could easily just mark 1-5 without the 00s at every 100' cpuld be done with scrap wood or small/large rocks, pavers etc..

Maybe planting some kind of perennial or different grass etc every 100' would work too...? Little trees which could grow and line the field?

BRP has white signs which work but yeah...

Latest posts