• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving with Putters

I've tried them all and have a favorite. The JK Aviar. It's grippy as a mofo. It's as high speed stable if not moreso than a TeeBird. It glides better than any other putter on the market. You can crank on it as hard as you can and it will just go straight. It has very little fade. You could play a one disc round with one and do really well on almost any course.

The answer totally depends on what lines youre looking to hit and what you like the feel of.

I pretty much grew out of the phase of throwing a putter at eveything because i can. I found that its a useful skill to have but its very situational. Having it in the arsenal is essential, using it everytime you have the opportunity is not.
Most of the time there is probably a better disc and line to hit thats more reliable in that spot. I mostly use mine anymore for distance control when being thrown off the tee.

Id say find what works best and feels best and do that

What is everyones favorite putter to drive with and why? What does it fly like? What should I expect out of it?

I'm looking at buying a new putter specifically for precision type drives that I need to go super straight and really flat... I have an Aviar I don really like throwing.... I also have Soft Magnet that I love throwing like mid range stuff at, but cant throw it hard at all because its so soft it feels wierd...Just looking for options and what people are using for this type of shot

Everyone is going to give you their own opinion and just what is in their bag...so I skipped thru 5 pages...

Since you want the straight and flat flight I'd suggest (in no particular order) a Warlock, a Small-bead Aviar (JK, KC, or Yeti Pro), a P2, or a Challenger. These will be useful to both putt and drive with and have that ballpark flight you're looking for.

People will suggest the Ion, Wizard, Rhyno, etc. and I would stay away from them unless you WANT the fade in the flight. If that's the case then those are good overstable putter choices.

basic or premium jokeri can be used to drive. basics beat into a nice straight hyzer flip disc, premiums stay overstable and very workable

Everyone is going to give you their own opinion and just what is in their bag...so I skipped thru 5 pages...

Since you want the straight and flat flight I'd suggest (in no particular order) a Warlock, a Small-bead Aviar (JK, KC, or Yeti Pro), a P2, or a Challenger. These will be useful to both putt and drive with and have that ballpark flight you're looking for.

People will suggest the Ion, Wizard, Rhyno, etc. and I would stay away from them unless you WANT the fade in the flight. If that's the case then those are good overstable putter choices.

We disagree, if he's wanting a more line drive type flight then those discs aren't what you want. they float out more than anything and their flights aren't very mid like.

I do agree that an Ion, Wizard, Rhyno will fade out towards the end but all three have more of a mid type flight because they don't float as much.

I'll again say the Anode is the best driving putter I've ever thrown, you can throw it on a rope 300+ and it doesn't even think about turning and it doesn't get the floaties where it bobs up and down towards the end like the putters you mentioned.

I've tried them all and have a favorite. The JK Aviar. It's grippy as a mofo. It's as high speed stable if not moreso than a TeeBird. It glides better than any other putter on the market. You can crank on it as hard as you can and it will just go straight. It has very little fade. You could play a one disc round with one and do really well on almost any course.

^. May not be throwing a tee bird right.

It's hard to beat a KC Pro Aviar. feel great in the hand. straight flyer and slight fade at the end of flight. You just will know where it will go every time. Great putter. Great flyer

Omega SS, Crystal Challenger, and Zone for flicking. I have a few Omegas for all types of shots.

I'm saying Ridge. When I throw it nose down or nose neutral, there is no fade. It's not as o/s as a Rhyno or Zone, that's for sure, and probably not as bad as a Wizard or Ion either.

got my first ace with a soft anode so I will say the anode just cause i am personally accurate with it 200' range anything a little over that i go with the buzzz not a putter but i can control that well

MVP Anode. It does exactly what I tell it to every time I throw it. It has an amazing combination of reliable high speed stability and minimal fade to produce very straight lines.

We disagree, if he's wanting a more line drive type flight then those discs aren't what you want. they float out more than anything and their flights aren't very mid like.

I do agree that an Ion, Wizard, Rhyno will fade out towards the end but all three have more of a mid type flight because they don't float as much.

I'll again say the Anode is the best driving putter I've ever thrown, you can throw it on a rope 300+ and it doesn't even think about turning and it doesn't get the floaties where it bobs up and down towards the end like the putters you mentioned.

Well if he's wanting a line drive type flight then you don't throw a putter. You throw a mid.

Overstable putters do not fly like stable midranges, I disagree wholeheartedly with you there. There's no comparison in glide, or in reaction on hitting the ground.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "bob up and down towards the end" because I can't say I've ever seen that?

Putters can be thrown on a line drive as well as any other type of disc, they're just more limited in their range for these types of shots. Yeah you need air under your putter if you're going for a 400' shot but 200' dead straight bullets at shoulder height aren't a very difficult putter shot.

What is everyones favorite putter to drive with and why? What does it fly like? What should I expect out of it?

I'm looking at buying a new putter specifically for precision type drives that I need to go super straight and really flat... I have an Aviar I don really like throwing.... I also have Soft Magnet that I love throwing like mid range stuff at, but cant throw it hard at all because its so soft it feels wierd...Just looking for options and what people are using for this type of shot

Mike C I agree with you, but the point is that putters don't excel at line drive type shots when going for distance...so in essence we're saying the same thing just looking at it from different angles.

Anyway as far as what New was saying I don't see line drive anywhere in the OP? (quoted above) He just said "flat", as in "flat release". Unless I'm reading it wrong?

Latest posts