• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

drk_evns Backhand Form Thread REMIX (Lefty)

drk_evns

Eagle Member
I broke my right pinky last week. A bit of ligament damage and 15% of my joint is floating above my knuckle (xray). Luckily the ligament somehow stayed attached and everything should heal just fine with time. It does, however, make it impossible to throw a disc for the time being (I did try a three finger power grip but the movement causes significant pain anyways lol :wall:). I also have never developed a forehand that can go anything other than hard right at 200 feet...

So I'm trying lefty. Not sure how far I'll go with this, but would love to be able to throw consistent 300-400 foot hyzers to the right.

In my original backhand form thread, I was able to reach the 500 foot milestone and my form is in a really great spot. I'm finally ready to shift focus from my form to my game after about 3 years of diligent study and practice. I'm hoping this left hand journey will keep me occupied while I heal up. Maybe when I'm ready to start playing rounds again I'll have another reliable tool.

_

Day 1.

First 5 or so throws felt incredibly awkward as expected. As I was training myself to mirror my right handed walk-up, I had the thought that this may have an impact on my normal right handed form. I'll ignore that for now.

I was throwing a very understable Lat64 Bite (dog disc). They never go more than 150 feet or so once they're beat to **** and they flip like crazy, so I thought it would be a good way to keep my movements and angles controlled. After about 20 throws I was able to release it on hyzer, let it flip to flat, and fall to the ground for a net straight flight. I don't have much power, but it doesn't feel super weak or anything. It's nice having a lot of the knowledge I need and the ability to quickly identify issues. I think the biggest struggle will be coordination, left just doesn't feel natural after thousands and thousands of throws the other way for 3 years straight.

I also threw a Uli Raptor to see what happened, and it SHOCKED me how stable it was. When you throw left handed after developing a high quality backhand, you get to see first-hand how the difference in power affects the flight of the discs you know and love. It went about as far right as it went forward.

By the time I started heading home, I already felt more comfortable with my footwork. I had a few throws that felt surprisingly good. Nothing went very far. I didn't measure but I'm guessing it's sub 200 feet. Maybe even closer to 100.

I may do a couple more sessions before I get video and measurements, but I will at some point. Trying to channel my inner golfer and get used to this swing. Do you guys have any tips for switching and throwing with your off hand?

How did you break it?

Just practice mirroring your LH and RH in slow motion. IMO grip is the hardest part with learning offhand like writing.

Don't neglect that lefty forehand. ;) Maybe it'll be even better than your righty one.

How did you break it?

Just practice mirroring your LH and RH in slow motion. IMO grip is the hardest part with learning offhand like writing.

I was protecting a pontoon boat from hitting a rock in shallow choppy waters. I pushed against the boat (saving it from damage) and jumped on the boat afterwards. I realized my pinky was locked in a curled position. The only way I could move it was to grab it with my left hand and straighten it. If I bent it, it would lock in that downward position. I think it's called trigger finger.

Turns out the boat had come down on my pinky or something as I was pushing against it and it chipped a chunk of bone off of my joint. I didn't notice it happen. The locking/trigger finger was likely caused by some sort of damage/swelling.

It no longer locks into place and the hand surgeon expects the bone fragment to resorb and to recover without surgery. I'm getting more motion back each day, but it did do some ligament damage that makes any abduction movement painful.

_

Agreed. It helps if I grip the disc with my right and mirror it exactly with my left. I compare them until they look the same but feel is definitely not real for the left yet.

I was surprised at how accurate I was on some of the throws. I'm thinking this will come easier than the first time around.

Don't neglect that lefty forehand. ;) Maybe it'll be even better than your righty one.

Forehands suck. Backhand forever.