• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Drone

I'd try to pick up a Z-Drone. I believe Dynamic Discs has some. I don't like FLX discs very much because I feel like I don't get as consistent of a release with them.

FLX Drones

I have been throwing FLX Drones for about 2 1/2 years now and absolutley love them! It is the ONLY Discraft disc I own and you would have to kill me to take it from me. I know the Drone is the most overstable disc Discraft makes according to the flight numbers anyway, but mine have always flown very straight. Guys I play with just shake their heads and ask how in the world I get a Drone to fly so straight. I don't have an answer for them. That's just the way they fly for me. It is one of my most used discs. I usually throw it on my drives on shorter holes and my upshot for longer holes. I highly recommend the FLX Drone.

I have been throwing FLX Drones for about 2 1/2 years now and absolutley love them! It is the ONLY Discraft disc I own and you would have to kill me to take it from me. I know the Drone is the most overstable disc Discraft makes according to the flight numbers anyway, but mine have always flown very straight. Guys I play with just shake their heads and ask how in the world I get a Drone to fly so straight. I don't have an answer for them. That's just the way they fly for me. It is one of my most used discs. I usually throw it on my drives on shorter holes and my upshot for longer holes. I highly recommend the FLX Drone.

^ Not doubting this and glad you love it for straight flights. :thmbup:
That being said, I wouldn't want someone thinking:
"I wanna throw straight, maybe I'll pick up an FLX Drone..." ----> :mad:

Pretty safe to say# of people who throw Drones straight <<<<< # of people who can't. Even Discraft would tell people who want a straight flying mid to try a Buzzz or a Comet. Love my Drone, but straight just isn't its lot in my life... or many other people's for that matter.

^ Not doubting this and glad you love it for straight flights. :thmbup:
That being said, I wouldn't want someone thinking:
"I wanna throw straight, maybe I'll pick up an FLX Drone..." ----> :mad:

Pretty safe to say# of people who throw Drones straight <<<<< # of people who can't. Even Discraft would tell people who want a straight flying mid to try a Buzzz or a Comet. Love my Drone, but straight just isn't its lot in my life... or many other people's for that matter.

I did not intend to mislead anyone on the traditional flight path of the FLX Drone. I was just stating that for ME, it flies very straight. I have seen a few other guys who have done it on a fluke, but you are correct in saying for MOST players, the Drone is not a tradional straight flying disc.

Finally got around to replacing my lost FLX Drone with another FLX Drone. I used it for stupid overstable, into the wind, upshots. The one I just got weighs 183g and flies like my Squall. Thrown hard and flat in calm conditions it actually turns and has modest fade, nothing like my last one. My last one I could throw on extreme anny and have it fight back hard. This one holds the anny to the ground.

Anyone else experience this? I was thinking about working with it and seeing how it does in a headwind. If it holds up in a headwind and flies like a Squall does in calm wind it might be pretty special.

Edit: Didn't notice this was not in the disc forum.

Last edited:
I think the flex drone is not as soft as other flex discs because of that huge mother of all fat rims.

And yes, they stay very overstable for ages.

If you are looking for something as stable as a NukeOS but not as fast, try the predator too. It's the most overstable fairway driver by Discraft ( as far as I know ) and flies much like the Innova Firebird.

Flick is the most overstable. i keep it for shots that i need to lss hook harder than a pred. and thumbers

I did not intend to mislead anyone on the traditional flight path of the FLX Drone. I was just stating that for ME, it flies very straight. I have seen a few other guys who have done it on a fluke, but you are correct in saying for MOST players, the Drone is not a tradional straight flying disc.

Either you have a fluke Drone, or you are OATing the **** out of it.

I got an limited edition drone in a mystery box last year. Kind of mix between z and ti. It will never come out of my bag. Just picoed up a ti last weekend to back it up. As some one said the zone is the ish as well.

Not OAT. I throw Comets into the wind like a Boss. Anyone read the part about the 1st Drone I had? ;)

i have a flx drone that is nowhere near as overstable as i was hoping. it flies just a bit more stable than my hornet! i was expecting a meathook like my zone and flick. time to go get a trident

Finally got around to replacing my lost FLX Drone with another FLX Drone. I used it for stupid overstable, into the wind, upshots. The one I just got weighs 183g and flies like my Squall. Thrown hard and flat in calm conditions it actually turns and has modest fade, nothing like my last one. My last one I could throw on extreme anny and have it fight back hard. This one holds the anny to the ground.

Anyone else experience this? I was thinking about working with it and seeing how it does in a headwind. If it holds up in a headwind and flies like a Squall does in calm wind it might be pretty special.

Edit: Didn't notice this was not in the disc forum.
My FLX Drone weighs 182 so I just wanted to comment on that. I sort of bought this particular one because it was so heavy and one time I posted about it on here and a guy told me I probably shouldn't go around touting how overweight my Drone was. Ha. Not like I am playing official PDGA tournaments anyway. I just thought that was funny.
Couldnt disagree more, the current firebirds coming out just hook and go left, with they are useful for that shot they are not as versitile as a predator, get more distance with a pred, cut rollers, thumbers, tommys, skip shots, sidearms. Oh how much better and how many more shots a pred can handle than a firebird.
Hear hear. I got a 12x flat Champ Firebird last year and it is so ridiculously overstable it's almost a novelty. If thrown flat it just immediately goes left whereas I can throw my Drone flat and it will actually fly for a while before fading. My brother throws an FLX Predator and it flies way better than my Firebird.

Drone love! I am digging my Drone more all the time. It's great.

The Drone is my favorite OS mid. I have 2 aces with my Ti Drone. I couldn't be more happy with this disc. I can easily power grip it and push it a bit further if I need to. If it's to far though, I go to the Predator.

After McBeths latest video it seem abot time to bring this tread back to life :)

He said that the Big-Z was the least OS DRONE. .

So would the Big-Z/ Cryztal combo be a good way to start if i want to try out the Drone?

After McBeths latest video it seem abot time to bring this tread back to life :)

He said that the Big-Z was the least OS DRONE. .

So would the Big-Z/ Cryztal combo be a good way to start if i want to try out the Drone?

It's dusty in here.

And speaking of dusty, my memory of Drones might be also, given that it has been a couple of years since I threw any.

But, although Drones have lots of low speed fade, I seem to remember that the Elite Z Drones that I threw around in a field would sometimes have a touch of high speed turn. Not much turn; the slightest bit of drift to the right before the heavy fade. Whereas my Z Buzzz OS was more high speed stable, never turning for me, and with almost as much fade as the Drones.

I am not being much help for your question. But, I expect, generally speaking, that a Big Z disc will be a bit less overstable than Elite Z, which in turn can be less overstable than a Cryztal Z. Be aware that there could be that little bit of high speed turn though.

From my (limited) experience, Big Z Drones are the beefiest. I have thrown 3 and all of them are super overstable. I also have 2 ESP FLX Drones that are more workable. Still overstable, they show absolutely no signs of turn, but they go very far and very straight before the hard finish to the left. So good for BH/FH

The CryZtal DRONE looks super nice but may be to OS . . .maybe best to start with the Big-Z