• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Duplicate discs so you don't lose a "favorite disc"

Do you carry duplicates of your "sweet discs" in your bag so you don't lose them?

• Yeah, I'm careful with my prized posessions.

Votes: 43 75.4%
  • No way! I don't give a crap about that.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • What are you talking about?

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters

Airfishey

Par Member
So I have a few of my "favorite discs" that I carry duplicates of in my bag, so I can throw a disc a don't care about losing as much. For example I have a clear Elite-Z dyed Buzzz and a Blue Elite-Z Buzzz in my bag. When I want to throw my Buzzz, but I think there is a possibility that I could lose my disc on the throw I will throw the blue Buzzz. I do this because I would much rather lose the blue Buzzz than the clear, dyed Buzzz. But when I want to throw the Buzzz and there is a low chance of losing the disc (i.e. open fairway shot without water hazards or dense woods around) I will throw my clear dyed Buzzz (mainly because it looks cooler :p). I also have a dyed Banshee and a non-dyed Banshee that I do this with. I was wondering, do other people do this?

There aren't many discs I care enough about at this point that I would be all that upset about losing. I do retire my ace discs once I've found a suitable replacement, but I still throw them until then, and have come close to losing them a couple times. Other than that, the duplicates I carry are in different plastics or different states of wear for different situations.

I don't necessarily carry spares, but I do keep extras of discs I like at home that are out of production. One that I usually have an extra of is the Z Xtreme, the most overstable disc I've ever used and a great "trick shot" disc for certain scenarios.

Yes, it is all mental though.

Example: I have two TL's the exact same... You make a perfect throw with one and some how that disc is like a gift given to you from God. You only use that disc when you can't lose it. When water is close you use the "other" disc you could careless for. When the time comes, you throw the lover disc and everything is hunky dorey.

In reality you just built this facade in your head and it is YOU not the plastic.

I don't carry them all the time but if I am going to a course with a lot of water holes I will take a few of my extra disc to throw on those holes just so I don't have to worry about breaking in a new one.

I carry backups of my Aviars in case I were to lose one during a round. I don't have a special disc that I am afraid to lose at this point. There is always DGC to order more.

I don't always carry my backups with me, but if I am going to be playing a tournament, I keep my back ups in the car in case I loose one in the first round. I also keep others in case I want to make some changes to the bag between rounds.

Sometimes I wish I did. I lost a Star Wraith and a DX Beast that I lost on the same day once. All I had to drive with after that was a Dragon, Teebird and an Eagle. When I played DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz I got a DX Wraith and DX Beast for $12 but I lost them that weekend! At least I had fun and I can look back now and laugh about it.

I carry backups of my Aviars in case I were to lose one during a round. I don't have a special disc that I am afraid to lose at this point. There is always DGC to order more.

I always wondered why people carried backups of putters, not multiple putters of different molds (for different shots) mind you but backups of the same molds.

Is there really such a high likelihood that you can loose a putter that you simply must carry a duplicate?

I don't always carry my backups with me, but if I am going to be playing a tournament, I keep my back ups in the car in case I loose one in the first round. I also keep others in case I want to make some changes to the bag between rounds.

I do the exact same. Only time my bag REALLY changes is when I play Trophy Lakes in Charleston, then I take out a LOT of my favs, and replace them with discs that I don't mind losing in the water.

I usually buy 2-3 of something when I order discs, but that doesn't mean the second one is going to fly the same as the first should I lose one.

I don't carry exact duplicates but I carry a starwraith i did not like to throw for risky shots, I have gotten so used to that disc I have started to carry a different "danger disc"

I don't keep duplicates of my discs. If I happen to be careless enough to lose one then I just make do with the rest of my bag until I replace it. I usually replace lost discs pretty quickly.

no duplicates in the bag for me but they are in the car. if i'm playing somewhere where the chance of losing something irreplacable is high i may swap it out of the bag.

no duplicates in the bag for me but they are in the car. if i'm playing somewhere where the chance of losing something irreplacable is high i may swap it out of the bag.

Seems like a pretty common practice, maybe it is worth it. I would be afraid that I would purchase duplicate discs and then not lose one.

the only things i really worry about are the OOP stuff- ce leopards, proline leopards, ching rocs, first run destroyers. (hmmm...wait a second... that's half my bag) everything else is easily re-purchased.

if you find a certain run of a certain disc you really like my recommendation is always to get several of them- they may not ever be the same again.

This is my strategy, exactly.
I do have some discs that I will not throw to a blind approach or if I can't see the landing area. My ESP Stratus is black, and my Z Avenger is dark purple. They're too easy to lose.

I always wondered why people carried backups of putters, not multiple putters of different molds (for different shots) mind you but backups of the same molds.

Is there really such a high likelihood that you can loose a putter that you simply must carry a duplicate?

I have 3 Evolution Voodoos that I usually carry in my bag. Not because I think I will lose one, but sometimes when I miss a putt in a round (and the course isn't too crowded), I want to have another attempt(or 2 :D) at the same shot.

By the way I usually don't keep track of my score, so the 3 putts are just for fun and practice. When I do keep track of score, my first putt is the one that goes on the score card.

This is my strategy, exactly.
I do have some discs that I will not throw to a blind approach or if I can't see the landing area. My ESP Stratus is black, and my Z Avenger is dark purple. They're too easy to lose.

I have a hot pink dx Wraith that I used for shots like that.