• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dustin Mouret, Gatekeeper Media thoughts.

I think Gatekeeper would be ok just getting swallowed up by DGN and becoming part of their production team. Same goes for GK Pro

I never considered this but it makes total sense and would be the easiest way for DGN to directly compete with Jomez. I always thought the post-production companies should consolidate under one brand, and at one point thought they'd do so under Jomez.

It seems to me that Jomez's editing and commentary team are their biggest advantages over the competition. If DGN brings Gatekeeper, GK Pro, and even CCDG they would be primed to give Jomez a run for their money.

I didn't mind the commentary at all, was fine for me.

I strongly dislike Earhardt's commentary. I guess because he was trying too hard to let everyone know how smart he was, came off as know-it-all imo.

Gold standard for me is Ian and either Queen or Philo. Actually used to enjoy Climo's usdgc commentary.

Then again I prefer CCDG coverage over Jomez fwiw, so I know I'm not necessarily a majority opinion.

I don't know how many times he said "trees are 95% air" when a sneaky shot got through (CCR coverage), but anyone that actually plays disc golf knows that not to be true.

I don't know how many times he said "trees are 95% air" when a sneaky shot got through (CCR coverage), but anyone that actually plays disc golf knows that not to be true.

It is fact that Michigan trees are only 81.69% air.

I am not sure what the outrage is. I have hockey fan buddies that find similar outrage in broadcast pairings. If the commentary is ruining the vibe, turn it off and put on some tunes. There is not any real insight, that will be dropped in a disc golf commentary, that will be game changing. I know the game, rules, discs and can figure out the four player in short order, without help. The graphics will take care of the rest. :thmbup:

I never considered this but it makes total sense and would be the easiest way for DGN to directly compete with Jomez. I always thought the post-production companies should consolidate under one brand, and at one point thought they'd do so under Jomez.

It seems to me that Jomez's editing and commentary team are their biggest advantages over the competition. If DGN brings Gatekeeper, GK Pro, and even CCDG they would be primed to give Jomez a run for their money.

I don't think DGN wants to compete with Jomez necessarily. Jomez has too large of a loyal fan base to do that.

More like DGN wants control of everything but understands Jomez has done more than anybody else to bring eyes to dg footage.

I don't think DGN wants to compete with Jomez necessarily. Jomez has too large of a loyal fan base to do that.

More like DGN wants control of everything but understands Jomez has done more than anybody else to bring eyes to dg footage.

I disagree.....I don't think DGN cares.

I disagree.....I don't think DGN cares.

Yeah long term I think you're right.

I thought that two year deal was kind of a professional courtesy almost. DGPT could definitely use the cash infusion and it guaranteed Jomez YouTube views for another two years while they line up their next move. I can see them possibly changing directions and start pumping out more dg content that's not just tournament footage. They've done the work of building a subscriber base, so simply folding into DGN doesn't make any sense for them.

Who knows, as long as they keep forking out tons of cash every year maybe DGN will let them keep lead card post production rights. I honestly don't think that will last forever though.

I think Gatekeeper would be ok just getting swallowed up by DGN and becoming part of their production team. Same goes for GK Pro, especially if they kept the skins matches separate with whatever affiliation exists with Eagles Crossing.

Pay them both and put their post production on the DGPT YouTube page or paywall it or whatever model they decide to go with.

I think DGN's gonna try to eat Jomez post production and all DPT coverage behind the paywall. Which honestly would be great for Gatekeeper. Their other competitors, Central Coast and GK Pro are already getting folded into DGN, so who's left? There are plenty of interesting A-tiers going on outside of the pro tour and if Gatekeeper's theast free channel on YouTube showing competitive disc golf I think they'd have a sizable audience.

I am not sure what the outrage is. I have hockey fan buddies that find similar outrage in broadcast pairings. If the commentary is ruining the vibe, turn it off and put on some tunes. There is not any real insight, that will be dropped in a disc golf commentary, that will be game changing. I know the game, rules, discs and can figure out the four player in short order, without help. The graphics will take care of the rest. :thmbup:

I'm don't get outraged at commentary, I just grew weary of hearing him say that about the trees. I think he said it 3 times, and he's said it on other tournaments he's covered. And I know what you mean about sports, I watch the local NHL Kraken games, and if it's not the local broadcast team, the fans light up the Facebook group with negativity. Especially if one of the National broadcast team members is female. I'm not on FB anymore.

I just was listen to Kat Mertch on DGN......good god, she is awful. :gross:

It was her first time, and she's only like 20. She'll get better. I hope she sticks with it.

I think Dustin did a pretty good job for a guy who isn't a serious disc golfer. He has a good voice. He'll get better too the more he watches and understands the game.

Way to go MJ out there!!!

Last edited:
I'm don't get outraged at commentary, I just grew weary of hearing him say that about the trees. I think he said it 3 times, and he's said it on other tournaments he's covered. And I know what you mean about sports, I watch the local NHL Kraken games, and if it's not the local broadcast team, the fans light up the Facebook group with negativity. Especially if one of the National broadcast team members is female. I'm not on FB anymore.

It can't be any worse than some of the stuff Philo says. Sticks, strokes on folks, alot of his hockey terminology. I generally like Philo but he gets tiresome.

It was her first time, and she's only like 20. She'll get better. I hope she sticks with it.

I think Dustin did a pretty good job for a guy who isn't a serious disc golfer. He has a good voice. He'll get better too the more he watches and understands the game.

Like most newer commentators his main problem is not knowing when to shut up.

That's probably true, if it's a course I like with players I really want to see, muting is always an option, but I do like commentary and I do occasionally learn something from it.

I really enjoyed Kat, especially paired with Luke. He might be my favorite.

I just have trouble with Dustin's voice and cadence.

Way to go MJ out there!!!

Kat got better as it went along.
She seemed to be uncomfortable early but progressed nicely.

Latest posts