• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DX Thunderbird equivalent

The pro Thunderbirds I've thrown are sweet out of the box. The least over stable Thunderbirds I've thrown.

I've finally had a chance to go and do some field work with all three plastics (pro, star, and DX).

What I'm noticing most is that the DX still seems to have more glide than the other plastics. I'd say that the star is more overstable and the pro is a bit more overstable, but really the biggest difference I'm seeing is that the DX wants to stay in the air just a bit longer thrown on the same line. That said, my furthest throw for each plastic was still within 10 feet of each other.

My form is far from perfect and I'm still figuring a lot of things out, so for now I'm going to bag one of each plastic and see if anything starts to stand out after a few actual rounds.

Thanks to all for the info and advice.

I've finally had a chance to go and do some field work with all three plastics (pro, star, and DX).

What I'm noticing most is that the DX still seems to have more glide than the other plastics. I'd say that the star is more overstable and the pro is a bit more overstable, but really the biggest difference I'm seeing is that the DX wants to stay in the air just a bit longer thrown on the same line. That said, my furthest throw for each plastic was still within 10 feet of each other.

My form is far from perfect and I'm still figuring a lot of things out, so for now I'm going to bag one of each plastic and see if anything starts to stand out after a few actual rounds.

Thanks to all for the info and advice.
IMO DX plastic is truer to the flight numbers and have better glide, you'll find out this is the case in most if not all Innova molds.

IMO DX plastic is truer to the flight numbers and have better glide, you'll find out this is the case in most if not all Innova molds.
This. I can't tell you how many molds I can't throw at all in Champ and Star that are money for me in DX. I sometimes beat myself up thinking it makes no sense that a 170g Champ Firebird is a brick I can't throw anywhere but a 170g DX Firebird I can throw 3X as far with 1/3 of the dumpy fade...I mean they are both 170g! DX just molds up differently, shrinks more out of the mold and gives me a better disc to throw.

Pro is a close second, I get some good throws with Pro discs as well. Champ and Star I've pretty much given up throwing.

how you gunna know if its fr lolol
I tend to consider the pre-embossed star to be the most os. Whether this is first run or not, I dunno. But these don't flip in a stiff headwind whereas the champs will drift right before fading.
Its consistent among the few stars and champs I have. Not tried the embossed star yet...

Edit: I believe the 3x champs from 2014 may have been first run??

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I recently purchased a 164g Pro Thunderbird, with a slight hyzer release it flies straight and fades at the very end of flight, great for tunnels. I'm throwing 350' for power reference