• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dynamic Discs Ranger review

Mellow yellow

Just ordered mine, got the yellow should be here Monday:thmbup: Of course had to order some discs as well so picked up the dye max misprint 5 pack. Can't wait to see what I get. Anybody know if that top storage compartment is waterproof/leak proof? Would love to have some icy cold IPA's with me on the course for those casual afternoon rounds. Wondering if I can put beer and ice in there. If not I guess I can throw in some ice packs

Just ordered mine, got the yellow should be here Monday:thmbup: Of course had to order some discs as well so picked up the dye max misprint 5 pack. Can't wait to see what I get. Anybody know if that top storage compartment is waterproof/leak proof? Would love to have some icy cold IPA's with me on the course for those casual afternoon rounds. Wondering if I can put beer and ice in there. If not I guess I can throw in some ice packs

It's not designed for that so my guess is it's neither leak or waterproof. I would at least line it with a plastic bag and use the ice packs instead of cubes.

lol no need to be in shame. It's easy to overlook an answer to your question even if it's right under our nose. :D

Well, I had posted something similar in another thread and never got a response. So, when I noticed this thread I just asked the question without looking through at all. If it had been pages away I would have only felt a little stupid. But the answer was literally right above me. That's so bush league. :doh:

This bag has a semi-waterproof aspect to it. I went and played one of my "home courses". First the bag only tipped once with 20-40 mph winds, and it was on a hill. Second, I had to set it down in water, mud, crud, insert noun for crappy ground, and none of my discs got wet, and no bleeding through occurred. I threw some water on the flap and little to none got through, so in terms of a rainfly, one isn't a necessity unless you plan on playing in a continuous pour. Just my opinion though

This bag has a semi-waterproof aspect to it. I went and played one of my "home courses". First the bag only tipped once with 20-40 mph winds, and it was on a hill. Second, I had to set it down in water, mud, crud, insert noun for crappy ground, and none of my discs got wet, and no bleeding through occurred. I threw some water on the flap and little to none got through, so in terms of a rainfly, one isn't a necessity unless you plan on playing in a continuous pour. Just my opinion though

I agree, if it is raining hardcore, you might not want to keep your phone in the side pocket, but as far as the discs, they aren't going to get wet. Maybe, just maybe there would be some water in the top pocket if it was outside for like 2 hrs in the pouring rain. Not a big deal to me, plus my buddy said if you waterproof it with a can of shoe waterpoofing spray it will be just fine.

Anybody else use the shoe stuff before?

Over one month later. I have had all weather imaginable. This bag shows no signs of wear and is still in great shape. I have also played 9/10 last days at least two rounds a day. Great Bag.

I think the Ranger is a good bag but isn't on the same level as the Grip A-Series, Mahal, Prodiscus, Ergo 2 & Simian. I think the price on the Ranger is to high. The other bags around the same price are better in my opinion. The Ranger isn't made out of as good of materials & lacks features the other backpack bags around the same price point have. It only has one drink holder, its only made out of 600 D Polyester (Cordura is way better), the putter pocket is very tight with two putters in it & the putters are exposed to the elements. The bottom isn't very durable (the older bags), it doesn't have a rain fly & the straps don't have much padding. There's no chest strap & there's only one spot for an umbrella/stool. The handle is only attached to the straps which makes it less durable than if it were attached directly onto the bag as well as the straps (like the A-Series & Prodiscus). It does have a lot of storage in the top pocket but in my opinion that doesn't make up for the rest of the things I listed. Its nice that the upgraded bags now have four feet on the bottom because the older bags bottoms were wearing out. One of my friends had a Ranger & after a few months it started to lose its shape. I currently carry a Grip A-Series & before I bought it I was lucky enough to try out a lot of backpack bags. Some of my friends & guys in the leagues I'm in let me tryout their backpack bags for a few rounds. I got to tryout the Mahal, Ergo, Ranger, Prodiscus, Grip A-Series, Grip L-Series, Flak, Ozark, Spinal Tap, Contender & Simian. Out of all those bags I've to say that the worst three bags were the Ranger, Ozark & Contender. After I got the A-Series bag & my friend Dan got a Prodiscus bag a few of our other friends wanted to tryout our bags. After trying out the Prodiscus & A-Series four of our friends got rid of their Rangers. I understand that different bags are suited for different people. I just think most people can find a backpack bag that's suits their game as much as a Ranger does for around the same price & get a higher quality bag. The way I see it is if your willing to pay $175 for a Ranger you might as well get a better product like a Simian for $200, Ergo 2 for $190 or spend a little more for a Grip, Mahal or Prodiscus. I understand I only listed the Rangers bad qualities & that all bags have their flaws. I don't have anything against DD (I actually like the company) & as a I said its a good bag. I just don't think its worth spending $175 on a Ranger when there's much better bags for around the same price. These are just my opinions & experiences with backpack bags.

I can see your point, but what I like about the ranger is it's simplicity and design. I like the top storage compartment. I've crammed it with a towel, backup putters, and a zip-up jacket and it's closed fine. It technically has two water bottle holders. How? Use the stool/umbrella slot for that. For me I don't need a stool unless I do a tournament and if I need extra water that is what the top compartment is for. Umbrella? I will never carry one. I thought the side putter pocket was too tight with two putters, but mine has broken in slightly, by broken in I mean is properly stretched, not wearing, and now still tightly fits two putters in the side(two wardens). Yes there are better bags out there, but the Ranger is a backpack bag that gives you plenty of storage, good disc compartment, everything you need, and it doesn't cost TOO much. Could it be cheaper? yes. Could the materials be of better quality? some would argue yes when I say it's strong enough ( since I received the bag I have played 2-5 days a week 1-3 rounds each time, and no signs period of wear). DD is one of my favorite companies, but I am in no way a fanboi. It is my first disc golf bag, and for the foreseeable future my last.

Looked at a Ranger in the store last weekend. Two things struck out at me: Maybe the straps needed to be adjusted but it seemed tough to put on and off, like the straps were too close together on the bag. I'm 6'2" but I don't think I'm particularly brawny or wide in the shoulders. Also, the drink holder looked like it would be really tight and the material didn't inspire confidence in forcing a bottle in there.

How much would you pay for a rainfly? Would a drawstring be better, or an elastic band around the edge? (drawstring would be easier for sure...maybe an elastic drawstring...)
I could (later, too much overtime right now) look into making some for people interested. I'd have to come up with a template, and then the time to hash out the details of putting one together, but I don't see if being too hard. And I have a Ranger with which I could size it....throw out some offers and we'll see how tempted you can make me! :D

Looked at a Ranger in the store last weekend. Two things struck out at me: Maybe the straps needed to be adjusted but it seemed tough to put on and off, like the straps were too close together on the bag. I'm 6'2" but I don't think I'm particularly brawny or wide in the shoulders. Also, the drink holder looked like it would be really tight and the material didn't inspire confidence in forcing a bottle in there.

I'm 6' 1" with average shoulders and felt exactly the same way trying on the Ranger. It just wasn't easy on/easy off like the Grip.

The new colors that are coming out in May are shown on EMac's instagram page

Here's a quick Instagram screenshot of the new colors
W72Mgg0.png

Checked this bag at local shop. Trilogy midranges bulge out the disc compartment and were too snug IMO. It is light, but that doesn't inspire confidence in longevity. Had $200 burning a hole in my pocket and walked out empty handed. I am usually down to try stuff and sell off if I don't like, but resale on dg bags sucks...

Latest posts