• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dynamic Discs statement RE:Am Worlds in Emporia will be a trophy-only tournament

You are very much so correct and you think you should get paid to play your best then go to crown point not emporia

Well anyway you look at it, Crown Point or Emporia, sounds like a donation if you just recieve a trophy in Kansas. You guys dont have to be scared because I want to win something more than a dust collector. What good is a trophy? So I can display it saying oh look at me, look how good I was once at this tournament. No people. 100 plus dollars just on entry fees should reward winners more than just a trophy and gag bag. Paying everyone back with junk just to enter saying thats where you money goes. Heck no. I don't like the way its heading. Paying your top winners with merchandise is why we pay a hefty fee. It's useable, sellable, and tradeable. That is the point some of you, that never win need to get. Of course I have no chance of placing like I would if I went to Crown Point I would be happy with players pack to say that I was there, but in the Am world I have a good chance of placing. I want to win merch, trophy, and title. Thats how it works. I dont expect anything just for showing up. Am I in the minority that values a hard earned dollar? I travel hours and spend tons of money on tourneys and have a blast just to play against other competative women. You guys have plenty to play against. We dont. Ill be there at worlds. You dont agree with me fine, But dont think I would donate my money for a trophy only tournament with a players pack in the future. I would rather donate it to the womens pro field and play against winners that want something for their efforts. 2014 Pittsburgh here I come.

All of you complaining about not winning anything. Your a AM nuff said want to win stuff move up an play pro. Why do we live in a entitlement society.

I still cannot wrap my head around some of you people. You are paying into a tournament. Tournament! Why would you ever be happy just to donate your money for "fun", "oppertunity to compete" You can do that for free at your home course!

It's not just we people, you know. In virtually every sport that comes to mind there are people who compete, often fiercely, in organized events without the expectation of payouts for winning.

The very distinction between an organized "Tournament!" and a friendly competition on my local course, is why I'm willing to pay for the chance to compete in a tournament.

I'm really confused by why some people on here think that because there's no "payout" there's nothing to win? Does the title of "World Champion" mean nothing? Does that not open doors to improve and expand your play to another level of competition? And if you win, you'll be getting a basket valued at $400+. Win and get something. Don't win, and you're not rewarded. There is competition among every division at Worlds, including the women's divisions. Maybe you all should spend more time working on your game so that you have a better chance to win than complaining about the payout model.

I want to win merch, trophy, and title.

That's the difference between you and me. I don't want to win anything, I just want to win.

I'm not even playing AM Tournaments so that I can win those; I play tournaments and casual golf all so that I can get better so that I can someday compete in pro.

If your goal is to hang around in AM for a few years and win merchandise and prizes, then so be it. My goal is to get better so that I can compete to win in pro level tournaments.

I compete to try to be the best in my division. I am a 52-yr-old Am grandmaster who's only been playing for 6 or 7 years, maybe 4+ seriously. Oh, how I wish I found this sport when my body was still very athletic!!! But I compete against the course and with myself -- not other players. I may measure myself (internally) against other players, but I compete for competition's sake itself.

I have improved to the point where recently I have begun to win some tournaments -- and must consider moving up; though I already and will even more so be competing with guys having 20-25+ years of experience on me once i do. And in my time in Am, I have often told the TD I'll catch up later (on the merch payout) -- or we'll square up on down the road. That's because I wasn't competing for the prizes, it was for the competition itself of the tournament setting, the tournament "pressure", the tournament courses, and the tournament situations/challenges, which simply aren't duplicated in local minis or causal play.

I'm really confused by why some people on here think that because there's no "payout" there's nothing to win? Does the title of "World Champion" mean nothing? Does that not open doors to improve and expand your play to another level of competition? And if you win, you'll be getting a basket valued at $400+. Win and get something. Don't win, and you're not rewarded. There is competition among every division at Worlds, including the women's divisions. Maybe you all should spend more time working on your game so that you have a better chance to win than complaining about the payout model.

TonyAPE12, I understand this tournament will have a prizes for the top finishers. At first reading in the Dg magazine I did not. I was upset with the literal meaning of a trophy only tournament and an everyones a winner players pack. This will be my first Worlds, I am fine with the title, a possible basket, or something else to reward top play. That is my entire arguement that keeps going around in circles. I just tend to go on a rant when I hear people dont mind paying high entry fees to win "just a trophy" I dont want tourneys to turn that way. Especially when this is suppose to draw the best of the best in your division.The other thing that continues to get in my crawl is when they compare other am sports not having a payout and based on trophy only. Its not even close to disc golf that is trying to grow and gain support. Other sports have a foundation and you have to earn your spot to play pro, and playing pro means you have earnings to support yourself. Unlike disc golf where you can pay to play pro just to do it. As far as my practicing, its easier to complian at 130 in the morning then practice. I appreciate the recommendation though.

Hello all

Now i have been following this thread for a few days, and i think it has gone a little out of hand :)

Some people are complaing about using $1000 dollars to get to the AM worlds and compete, and all they will recieve if they win is a Throphy... why don´t they stay at home, then they have already won $1000. I understand that some people are tired of discs, towels and other merch, but then AM worlds might not be the tournament for you, then you might compete in the PRO worlds.

If i was able to get on the top of the stairs at the final, then the title as World Champion would mean more to me than a $350 or so payout ... but dont worry, i will not get on the top of the stairs ;-)

Personally i will use around $2000 just to come to the AM worlds and play (travelling from Europe), and i already know that i will not win anything, ´cause i am not good enough - but i will be more than happy to recieve a great players package with lots of nice stuff in it, but what i really look forward to, is playing Disc Golf with a lot of you guys (and girls) and hopefully make som new friendships and not least have a great time doing what i love the most - play disc golf.

I am so looking forward to this tournament and i have no other expectations than have a great time and meet a lot of new people, if these 2 things add up, i will go home as a winner in my mind :)

See you guys at the AM´s

And remember, i respect all your guys opinions, i am not trying to piss off anyone at all.

And please have this thread discussion finished before july so that you all can be happy when we meet in Emporia ;-) hahaha

SteezeOG: I hope all goes well and that happy friendly attitude shines. Just a bit of advice when people are rude dont feed into it doesnt bode well on you.

I am quite friendly and happy. Everyone says so. :D When people are rude I laugh. When people are rude AND wrong I destroy them, just like that guy who thinks killer tornadoes are comical. Thanks for your concern and you might want to actually read Jeremy's statement. Scores will be kept, and winners will get paid. The only difference is the middle of the pack people don't get their gift certificates just for showing up. You guys and gals who are making a big deal out of everyone getting trophies like it's some everyone wins kids league are ironically arguing against that same system. You want something for doing nothing other than traveling. Congrats you made it to Kansas alive, here's your free coupon, happy return trip. Or....you come no matter the cost for the competition and if you perform you get paid. Something for nothing leaves us all broke. :doh:

Too bad I cannot make this years worlds! Sounds great Jeremy.

Charlotte still has a basket debt. I think paying out $100 to the 125th player has something to do with it.

Last edited:

nicely put.

I would like a trophy to solidify my title of Amateur World Champion. I don't need anything else. (i'm not even playing am worlds, but the limited payout has NOTHING to do with it)

^ THIS

If your looking for a payout to buy plastic then stick to your monthly/weekly local tournaments.

I personally would be happy with less payout in tournaments in exchange for a trophy for first (or even first and second). I have two wins in Int at C-tier tournaments and the plastic I got as payout just disappeared into my stack of discs - they don't really stand out as something special that I won. I would love to have a small trophy to show for those wins instead.

However, I don't like the people trying to make analogies to other sports and say that disc golf (pro or am) pays out deeper than other sports. I don't know if this is a good example or not, but at pro tennis tournaments you get money even if you lose the first match.

a decent player's pack and trophy only is more than fine. looking back, i'd rather have a trophy to show an accomplishment than a thrashed piece of plastic.

i enjoy getting the majority of my discs here used, anyway. :thmbup:

I personally would be happy with less payout in tournaments in exchange for a trophy for first (or even first and second). I have two wins in Int at C-tier tournaments and the plastic I got as payout just disappeared into my stack of discs - they don't really stand out as something special that I won. I would love to have a small trophy to show for those wins instead.

However, I don't like the people trying to make analogies to other sports and say that disc golf (pro or am) pays out deeper than other sports. I don't know if this is a good example or not, but at pro tennis tournaments you get money even if you lose the first match.

A lot of DD Tournaments have trophy discs for first place in every division. At least, they do around here.

Latest posts