• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagle Enthusiasm

Eagle is smaller rimmed and slower than a CD2. I actually carry a CD2 for my distance slot between Eagles and Destroyers. However, in terms of stability, I think a newer CD2 is very close to a seasoned Eagle X. Just longer.

The FD is actually pretty close to the old Eagle L mold, or maybe a current run Eagle X mold that has been beat to heck.

FD2 might be pretty close to a new/modern Eagle, although I haven't thrown one. By the #'s, FD2 is more of a Teebird than an Eagle. Still, close family.

Gotcha. Very interesting. I'll have to pick one up and see if it fits!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle is smaller rimmed and slower than a CD2. I actually carry a CD2 for my distance slot between Eagles and Destroyers. However, in terms of stability, I think a newer CD2 is very close to a seasoned Eagle X. Just longer.

The FD is actually pretty close to the old Eagle L mold, or maybe a current run Eagle X mold that has been beat to heck.

FD2 might be pretty close to a new/modern Eagle, although I haven't thrown one. By the #'s, FD2 is more of a Teebird than an Eagle. Still, close family.

To me the FD is still more understable than an Eagle-L. Out of the box an Eagle-L still has a good bit of stability to it where the FD will turn.

Fair enough. Cards on the table, my go-to Eagle L is an old "Twelve Time" champ that's been in my bag for ~10 years. It's seasoned into to a hyzer flip/line drive machine. So my opinion here may not reflect the average Eagle L...

If you put much faith in the Inbounds flight chart, then you can confirm Horsman's assertions of the Eagle L being a little more stable than the FD. You can also see that the Eagle (regular/X mold) is a little more shot-shapey than both the FD2 and especially the FD3. I would personally say that some modern Eagles (especially that factory store circle stamp JL runs) are more like zero high speed turn and act almost like a slightly slower FD3. Think Banshee.

However, at that point you're running into the limitations of the Inbounds charts, which only show one flight path to cover all plastics/runs within a given mold.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431

Fair enough. Cards on the table, my go-to Eagle L is an old "Twelve Time" champ that's been in my bag for ~10 years. It's seasoned into to a hyzer flip/line drive machine. So my opinion here may not reflect the average Eagle L...

If you put much faith in the Inbounds flight chart, then you can confirm Horsman's assertions of the Eagle L being a little more stable than the FD. You can also see that the Eagle (regular/X mold) is a little more shot-shapey than both the FD2 and especially the FD3. I would personally say that some modern Eagles (especially that factory store circle stamp JL runs) are more like zero high speed turn and act almost like a slightly slower FD3. Think Banshee.

However, at that point you're running into the limitations of the Inbounds charts, which only show one flight path to cover all plastics/runs within a given mold.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431

Right there with you. The Eagle-L that I have in the bag is an 11x and has been in there for 5+ years and its a hyzerflip thing of beauty. I recently took all the L-molds that I have out to the field to test them. I have maybe 15 of them, 11x and 12x runs some beat some new and I was hoping fresh L's would have been more straight to understable but they were all straight to overstable out of the box. If you can find used ones them pick them up.

Does anyone bag Teebirds & Eagles? I've carried Teebirds for the majority of my "disc golf career". I've had a Eagle in my bag a few times over the years. I remember throwing the Eagle a lot sidearm. I flick my Teebirds in certain situations but otherwise I don't flick my fairways (speed 6-8) that much. I do throw Firebirds sidearm but I still feel like my game is missing something not flicking fairway drivers. I've been considering having a similar setup to Alex Geisinger. He doesn't carry any control drivers ("middle speed discs" as he says). He goes straight from Teebirds to a Wraith/Destroyers. I like my PDs but unless I'm on a longer course they don't get used very much. I usually just throw a Teebird. So I might just throw in an Eagle instead of my PDs. Thoughts?

I have been throwing both for years and have been in almost the same situation you are in. I have never thought of taking the Power Fairways (Firebird) out of the bag but I did try to add an OS fairway to try. I bagged a banshee and an EXP1 from millennium for a while but they never stayed in because the speed 9's were just better at the shot I was trying to throw.

I have been throwing both for years and have been in almost the same situation you are in. I have never thought of taking the Power Fairways (Firebird) out of the bag but I did try to add an OS fairway to try. I bagged a banshee and an EXP1 from millennium for a while but they never stayed in because the speed 9's were just better at the shot I was trying to throw.
Firebirds are not coming out of my bag anytime soon. So you bag a PD, Eagles & a Teebird. You ever consider dropping the PD? Maybe use a beat up Firebird or a different Eagle to replace it? That's where I'm at right now. I like PDs but for simplicity purposes & carrying less molds Im trying to see if I actually need a PD.

Firebirds are not coming out of my bag anytime soon. So you bag a PD, Eagles & a Teebird. You ever consider dropping the PD? Maybe use a beat up Firebird or a different Eagle to replace it? That's where I'm at right now. I like PDs but for simplicity purposes & carrying less molds Im trying to see if I actually need a PD.

Yup, the PD is out now. Took it out after the Estabrook Open. I have a firebird that flies the same but fades a little harder and ive been liking it way more then the PD. Also my teebird is pretty similar to a PD

I'm also intrigued by the color glow Eagles (I'm assuming they're champ). Is that a pretty recent addition to the CFR options? I don't recall seeing CG Eagles last time I perused the Innova order form, although it's possible that was oversight on my part.

I really love color glow champ plastic. The pink varieties are the most universally easy to find color across the spectrum of natural environments I've encountered...including darkness! Also the grip feels good, a little bit more tack than JL and regular glow type champ plastics.

How do they fly? Pretty OS?

Yeah I have not seen them anywhere else besides the Pennsylvania state championships. But mine is just a touch more stable then a brand new star eagle. I really like mine a lot, have been using it more then any of my other eagles. I'm just kinda bummed I can't find a spare right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has Gregg Barsby ever had a tour series disc? He's the first pro that comes to mind when I think Champion Eagle. (I mean, aside from The Champ.)

It would be sick if they made a Barsby tour series CG Champion Eagle.

Anthon uses CE eagles a lot too, would be cool if he found a newer plastic to get his name on. My favorite eagles are sex's and flat champ x's. I have older ones but this is one mold that I have enjoyed no matter the age of the disc.

I used to keep teebirds and eagles in my bag, but this year I wasn't throwing a teebird enough to keep them anymore. I have gotten much better controlling leopards and eagles for the same shots. I still love the TB and will probably return to it at some point though, especially my older beat ones that glide forever.

I put eagles back in the bag as my workhorse stable driver. 1 dx, 1 star, and 1 11x champ eagle-L. I forgot how good the eagle is, was lacing it down fairways and working great lines with them. Fits my game and bag perfectly.

I put eagles back in the bag as my workhorse stable driver. 1 dx, 1 star, and 1 11x champ eagle-L. I forgot how good the eagle is, was lacing it down fairways and working great lines with them. Fits my game and bag perfectly.

Did the Rival not work out for you or are you still working out your bag?

Has Gregg Barsby ever had a tour series disc? He's the first pro that comes to mind when I think Champion Eagle. (I mean, aside from The Champ.)

It would be sick if they made a Barsby tour series CG Champion Eagle.

We need a CG Chamoion Eagle-L

There are JL ELs out there, I've owned a couple. Color glow ELs would be awesome only if they're flat.

If the wombat or foxbat or whichever one got the 3 treatment I have no idea why there hasn't been an E3 or EL3 conversation. EL3 would be awesome especially in color glow.

Did the Rival not work out for you or are you still working out your bag?

Nope, didn't work out for me. It falls with the pd/thunderbird/teebird - I like it but it doesn't fit my game anymore. Also, there isn't much of a sweeter disc than a dx eagle, imo :thmbup: I've been trying to figure out the fairway/control slot since I dropped convicts earlier this year (Flight is great but I think the plastic is garbage, falls off the 'cliff' after so much wear and becomes squirrely flippy) and the eagle is the best fit by a long shot.

There are JL ELs out there, I've owned a couple. Color glow ELs would be awesome only if they're flat.

Yup, there are JL Eagle L's out there. I have one that's double-stamped with the old school circle stamp, which makes me think it was molded in the same timeframe when they made the CS JL Eagle X's that are absolute meathooks.

However, as others have said: that was still a few years back. AFAIK, no plans to bring the Eagle L back into production. Not even for a sweet limited run.

I know that Big Jerm likes the flat opaque champ ones; when he switched back to Innova he was reaching out for old runs that people might have laying around (11X and the like). So there's a small glimmer of hope that there could be a run of Big Jerm CG FT Eagle L's. Which would be awesome.

Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon, because the Big Jerm Thunderbirds are so popular. Not much motivation to mess with that success.