• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Eagle Enthusiasm

Still in search of a workhorse driver, was thinking of picking up a dx Eagle to experiment with cycling base plastic. Are the 150 class dx eagles significantly less stable than max weight? I've seen mention of 150 class eagles maintaining their stability.

I think you will really need to look at the disc and compare wing shape and parting line height in person.

Almost all of the 150 class DX teebirds, destroyers, valkeries and eagles i've seen look significantly different. Very domey low PLH and very very understable. Hell the DX destroyer I have is actually about 1/4" smaller diameter than it should be.

Hell the DX destroyer I have is actually about 1/4" smaller diameter than it should be.

I believe all DX discs are this way and that is just how DX molds up, smaller. I can notice the difference in my grip on a Roc3 between DX and premium. Also the McGlow Roc3's are small too.

Eagles are cool.

I have thrown a few star eagles in 150g and some are pretty stable (in calm conditions at least), about equal to max weight. I had one a few years back that was board flat and really stable.

Got my pair of DX eagles in the mail today. They are a newer embossed run. Gotta say this DX plastic doesn't feel anything like that older DX I used to have. They are pretty domey with a fairly large shoulder. Doesn't feel great in my hand especially in a sidearm grip. The feel almost reminds me if a teebird and a leopard had a baby. I was expecting something a bit flatter. Are most eagles shaped like this?

Got my pair of DX eagles in the mail today. They are a newer embossed run. Gotta say this DX plastic doesn't feel anything like that older DX I used to have. They are pretty domey with a fairly large shoulder. Doesn't feel great in my hand especially in a sidearm grip. The feel almost reminds me if a teebird and a leopard had a baby. I was expecting something a bit flatter. Are most eagles shaped like this?

I recently bought an embossed Star Eagle and it had a good bit of shoulder as well. Not really domey but definitely has a moderate smooth dome. It flies $ however. Nice and OS.

I recently got one of those. And no, most Eagles aren't like that, so I'm guessing it's just variants in the recent run. But, they bomb! Not quiet as stable as any of my other DX Eagles, but with that dome they get a lot more hang time.

Had the chance to try out the eagle today. Used it for every tee shot on the local 18 hole course. Definitely has a unique flight for its class. Seems like I get more distance out of it than I do other stable fairway drivers. It has an insane amount of lateral movement. Instead of fading down towards the ground it's more of a glide fade combination. I didn't see much turn out of it until I threw it into a 20 mph headwind then again I only drive 300' on average. The thing I'm most disappointed in is how uncomfortable it is to grip for forehands. Anyway I'm excited to see how it works in. I think once I improve my form a bit and beat it up it's going to be awesome.

All of my embossed eagle X's molded up differently where the wing turns into flight plate. It has a noticeable little ledge at this transition spot. My older eagle X's are 1 smooth dome from wing to flight plate. I haven't thrown any of my newer embossed eagles yet, but will be curious to find if they fly differently or not.

This is exactly how the embossed DX eagles I ordered feel. Not a fan, is this only with the newer runs of eagles?

11x Eagle L used bin find. Great thrower condition, scuffs, ink and a couple minor dings but otherwise great. Never fondled 11x plastic before and it's smexy.

Threw it in the field a bit and it reminds me of a slightly beat FD more than anything. Didn't like headwinds without considerable hyzer.

Attachments

• IMG_20181229_152834.jpg
    IMG_20181229_152834.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20181229_152842.jpg
    IMG_20181229_152842.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 41
I'll take the 11X L if you don't want it....

I'm gonna mess with it for a bit, I love the flat profile and obviously the plastic. Plus it flies like an FD. I'd like to see how one of these flies when it's fresh.

I've only tried one other Eagle about a year into playing and I remember it being very OS at the time. No clue if it was X or L and I'm sure my form/power was crap but I kinda wrote Eagles off. I'd hate to think the answer to my S/OS fairway driver was there all along.

I guess the new runs are a crapshoot as far as dome and stability?

I'm gonna mess with it for a bit, I love the flat profile and obviously the plastic. Plus it flies like an FD. I'd like to see how one of these flies when it's fresh.

I've only tried one other Eagle about a year into playing and I remember it being very OS at the time. No clue if it was X or L and I'm sure my form/power was crap but I kinda wrote Eagles off. I'd hate to think the answer to my S/OS fairway driver was there all along.

I guess the new runs are a crapshoot as far as dome and stability?

New eagle-L are available as infinite discs exodus. All the ones I got in a variety of weights/plastics from the latest run had some dome. Given your disposition against dome in general I wouldn't recommend them.

In general I think Ls are like a stable FD. Xs are much more OS.

Most of the old amazing eagle-L and X from the 11x, 12x, KC, etc era tend to be flat if I remember correctly. They are pretty sweet discs too, obviously the plastic is legendary.

New eagle-L are available as infinite discs exodus. All the ones I got in a variety of weights/plastics from the latest run had some dome. Given your disposition against dome in general I wouldn't recommend them.

Most of the old amazing eagle-L and X from the 11x, 12x, KC, etc era tend to be flat if I remember correctly. They are pretty sweet discs too, obviously the plastic is legendary.

Dang, now I want a flattish Exodus.

Dang, now I want a flattish Exodus.

Try one. The one I have, a 159g S-blend (Star) first run, was not domey. Maybe later runs were more domey, but they're not going to be mistaken for Archangels. But overall, the Exodus is good, and the I-blend plastic is really good (not sure if the Exodus comes in I-blend yet, but stay tuned...)

I Have a 12x Champ-x that has a mild dome in that opaque-run gummy plastic that is super beef. Beefier than some Vultures i have thrown, and not far off from an ESP predator stability-wise.