Effective, Cheap, Easy Basket Silencer & Thoughts on the MVP Black Hole Pro

drk_evns

Eagle Member
I received a MVP Black Hole Pro around Christmas and have used it daily for about a month. This seems like a decent basket, but I've run into a few downsides to overcome.

The first I noticed, was that this basket is INSANELY loud. It's got a high pitch element when the chains hit the pole that is really intense (especially for indoor putting). I've since built a "silencer" that is super effective and cheap. Literally one piece of felt and five zip ties.

IMG-7394.jpg

IMG-7395.jpg

Much better for winter putting. The key is to lower it down between the two rings of the chains at the bottom. That's where a lot of the noise comes from. Also be sure not to let the zip ties impede the chain in any way.

Unfortunately, that's not the only issue I've run into. After a week of putting the basket together I took it apart to try out the transit case that came with it and I notice there was significant rust inside the pole and all over the bolt. It spent one week indoors. I really wanted to avoid rusting this basket so it's a huge bummer that this appeared so early. I reached out to MVP on their website asking why it would rust this early, how I could prevent more rust from coming, and if it's possible to replace the bolt/poke in the future and never heard back. Going to try sending a message again soon.

IMG-7379.jpg

IMG-7380.jpg

You guys have any tips for rust prevention/reduction?

I used three paint rollers over the pole on mine. Worked well. Not sure what to tell you about your rust. Maybe just stick a little antisieze on the threads to keep the corrosion from causing assembly/disassembly issues?

I used pipe insulation. It's a loud a$$ basket.
I haven't taken mine apart but since it's in my garage and is a flat surface, I have often had things laying on top of the basket for prolonged periods. And now it leans a bit. I don't suspect they'll hold up to much abuse.

I used Flex Seal -- the spray on version. 3 cans covered all the metal above the cage on my Precision basket. I gave it a few days to cure and it's done pretty well. The chains are quite a bit heavier but nobody complains anymore when I putt in the garage.

I got the idea from a buddy of mine who has a truck liner business. He sprayed an old DGA basket down with the cleanout from his application guns at the end of every work day for a week. Now he's got a rhinolined basket.

Shooting spray foam down the tube helps quite a bit as well.

Last edited:
I cut a pool noodle in half & taped it to the center pole. Really cut down on the noise.

Good luck on getting your rust issue resolved. I didn't have that issue with mine, but mine did start leaning a fair amount. I ended up selling it and getting the DGA Mach Shift.

Meant to add....for cleaning off the rust from the bolt part.....put Coke in a container big enough to hold the part. That will eat the rust off. Use an old toothbrush to scrub it every so often to help the rust come off. Once the rust is gone, wipe it clean and then wipe it with a small amount of oil/WD-40.

For inside the pole....you could take it apart, seal (tape) one end closed and pour Coke down the tube. Let it sit to eat the rust off (from cleaning the bolt part, you'll have an idea of how long to leave the Coke inside the pole). Then take an old, long, towel, twist it up and run it down the inside of the pole a few times to clean it out. Then run a light coating of oil/WD-40 down the pole (you can use the towel to help spread it).

Use the real thing, not other brands of cola.

I added thinner old towel I just laid into the chain assembly area to keep them from moving so much and contacting the pole and each other as much. I got some bedding foam surrounding the basket as well to protect the walls and it dampens the sound too. Sound is probably cut in half.

Different basket, but like broken shoulder, I just put a section of pipe insulation that I had laying around on the center pole. It's not perfect, but much quieter than before.

Edit: Since you didn't store it outside, it's possible the bolt was rusty when it arrived.

Last edited:
Rust requires oxygen. A light coat of grease to seal the part will stop further rust.

I did something similar for my Axiom Pro (same basket different color). I used some thin closed-cell foam that is supposed to be a heavy-duty drawer liner. Like for toolboxes. I just wrapped it around the pole a couple times and zip tied it like crazy, works great.

Mine also rusted at the exposed spots pretty quickly but is still going strong after 3 seasons. Some of the welds have popped but it's generally holding together for backyard practice. I figure if a $150 basket lasts me 4 years in the elements, it's a pretty good deal. I don't even take it in when there's snow.

One of the loudest baskets that I have used is my Dynamic Discs "Marksman". That thing really rings.

I cut up a bunch of plastic grocery bags I had under the sink and stuffed the top pole from both ends as much as I could without messing up the threads. it'll hold A LOT of bags and its silenced the basket a good bit. you still get a small bit of ring, but it doesn't resonate through the house nearly as much. Also saves spit-outs from hitting the bicycle tube that I had over the top pole previously.

I cut up a bunch of plastic grocery bags I had under the sink and stuffed the top pole from both ends as much as I could without messing up the threads. it'll hold A LOT of bags and its silenced the basket a good bit. you still get a small bit of ring, but it doesn't resonate through the house nearly as much. Also saves spit-outs from hitting the bicycle tube that I had over the top pole previously.

Hmm. I hadn't thought of something like that.

I might fill my pole with some of that expanding foam and see what happens. If it works well enough then I can take the paint rollers off the outside of the pole.

I have been using pipe insulation but it gets louder and annoying sometimes but I guess you gotta deal with it. Rest is good.

I use pipe insulation like the rest. Does a good job.

Word of warning on the basket, the wires from the pole to the base are not very secure. I had one snap off pretty quickly. Probably not an issue if you are using it inside on flat ground, but if you are constantly moving the basket and putting it on uneven ground I would expect the wire to snap off.

I use pipe insulation like the rest. Does a good job.

Word of warning on the basket, the wires from the pole to the base are not very secure. I had one snap off pretty quickly. Probably not an issue if you are using it inside on flat ground, but if you are constantly moving the basket and putting it on uneven ground I would expect the wire to snap off.

I had that on one of my inexpensive practice baskets. Poor quality welds and it's been knocked over by storms more than once.

I used small gauge ss wire to fix some of the issues. Wasn't satisfied with that. Covered the joints in JB Weld. It's just a 2 part epoxy, but it is UV resistant and much stronger than most epoxy's.

Trying a less expensive alternative called PC7 soon to reinforce joints on some of my other baskets.

As long as I secure them so they don't get pummeled by the wind, the cheap baskets seem to be holding up okay.

Latest posts