• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Black Hole Pro, Chainstar Lite, or Dynamic Recruit - Which basket for $140?

Perladdict

I've got an MVP Pro (and an Axiom Pro still in the box I got first Christmas), and I've been pleased with it so far. But Discraft released the Chainstar Lite back in late November, and I found a site selling the Dynamic Recruit basket for $140, so they're all within $5 of each other.

Any opinions on which one I should get for my third (and final) basket for my backyard mini-course?

Thanks!
- Dave

I bought the MVP Black Hole Pro for $139 shipped a few months ago. 24 zinc coated chains and all the joints are welded, seemed like the cheapest basket packing those features that I could find at that time. Sure its not as "sturdy" as some of the more expensive options but for practicing putts and approach shots I can't imagine needing anything more than this? I can't compare this to other baskets because this is the first one I've owned but for the price, you can't go wrong.

I can't compare this to other baskets because this is the first one I've owned but for the price, you can't go wrong.

That's why I'm asking. All three of these baskets are currently available for within $5 of each other. When I got my MVP Black Hole Pro (maybe "stole" is a better word ... some guy on FB Marketplace sold it to me NIB for $35!!!), the Chainstar Lite wasn't announced or out yet. And the Recruit is currently available for $60 off, making it $140 at the moment, too. So curious about opinions on these since the options have changed quite a bit in the past couple of months in the $140 - $145 budget range.

At $140 it's tough to pass on the Recruit. It's more heavy duty than the MVP/Axiom Pros. I believe it has thicker gauge wire and heavier gauge chains, but that does make it heavier and harder (not much, but you need a wrench) to take apart than the MVP/Axiom baskets. I haven't played on a Chainstar Lite yet.

Where can you get the Recruit for that cheap?

At $140 it's tough to pass on the Recruit. It's more heavy duty than the MVP/Axiom Pros. I believe it has thicker gauge wire and heavier gauge chains, but that does make it heavier and harder (not much, but you need a wrench) to take apart than the MVP/Axiom baskets. I haven't played on a Chainstar Lite yet.

Where can you get the Recruit for that cheap?

A little digging and I found this, but it almost looks like it might be a Junior Recruit? It says it weighs 60 lbs but it doesn't look like a 60 lb. basket. I would be a little hesitant to order one without making sure.

http://www.hearthsong.com/recruit-d...2_BpngSjwz9H-kQW_3ttYmDdCqAihr4UaArTdEALw_wcB

A little digging and I found this, but it almost looks like it might be a Junior Recruit? It says it weighs 60 lbs but it doesn't look like a 60 lb. basket. I would be a little hesitant to order one without making sure.

http://www.hearthsong.com/recruit-d...2_BpngSjwz9H-kQW_3ttYmDdCqAihr4UaArTdEALw_wcB

That's nuts. The pics are of the real deal Recruit. If it is the real full Recruit, at $140 that seller is losing a crap ton of money per basket. Someone should hit them up to check if it's the full one and then everyone buy them out. They will literally be losing $25-$50 per basket depending on where they ship them to.

Guess I shouldn't have opened my mouth before buying the deal and just gone with my gut instead. Recruit is back up to $199 on Hearthsong now. Which one of you guys bought 'em up at the deal price? ;)

Wasn't me! I did tell a couple friends though since 140 is cheaper than my dealer cost shipped to them lol. I'll have to see if either of them nabbed one

I was trying to find specs online for the different baskets before making my decision. Couldn't find the Recruit's total height, wire gauge, etc. So I waited like a dum-dum figuring I'd run across it later. :doh:

I'll probably try out the Chainstar Lite instead. Slightly thicker wire (7mm vs 6mm) than the Black Hole Pro and a different basket shape. Not that 2 extra chains is gonna make a difference in my game, but 26 vs. 24 chains would've been a nice bonus. I've been happy with my MVP Pro's chains, so I can only imagine how much I'd like the Recruit's. Maybe it's for the best ... this way I don't know what I'm missing out on and can just go about my business liking my MVP baskets. :p

Listing was prolly wrong. There already isnt a ton of meat on the bones for these drop shipped baskets depending on zip code. Good luck with your next purchase and glad to hear you have been happy with the MVPs. All of my customers last year were as well even with some minor shipping/cosmetic issues always resolved quickly.

The internet giveth, and the internet taketh away. My order got cancelled for using a coupon code (perhaps because I've used it previously with my other Google account). :(

Listing was prolly wrong. There already isnt a ton of meat on the bones for these drop shipped baskets depending on zip code. Good luck with your next purchase and glad to hear you have been happy with the MVPs. All of my customers last year were as well even with some minor shipping/cosmetic issues always resolved quickly.

Very likely the case, too. My use of a coupon code probably just gave them an easy-out for cancelling the order. That's what I get for trying to cancel out the sales tax!

It often seems to happen with odd listings although have found some LE's selling at a premium hidden on places for stock price etc never hurts to try! Lol

Ditto! Wish I used the NEWYEAR15 code that's not "first time customers" only. Bet it would've gone through then. Oh well, live and learn!

Aren't there minimum retail prices retailers have to abide by? When I organized an MVP vs Axiom tourney, the wholesale sheet listed minimum prices. It sounds like this was a pricing mistake, but what happens to retailers that do sell below the minimum price?

Latest posts