• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Elbow brace/ forearm wrap for disc golf?

SpiderWaffle

Bogey Member
I was wonder if knows of a good elbow brace or forearm wrap to use for disc golf? I know a very small handful of pros use them, is there any brand/model that works well. Do they help at all, or get the way, slide off? That is that thing Avery Jenkins uses?

My inclination was to use amazon average customer review, which yields this:
http://www.amazon.com/Rehband-7720-Elbow-Sleeve/dp/B00F2I4XXK/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
But seems mostly used for weigh lifting or very old injury people for day to day use by customer rewiews.

Also kind of costs a lot just to try a find out what others have, that it's no good.

I was thinking it'd be nice to have something like this when practicing max power throws for distance or doing them on the course, just to save my elbow some strain, keep me healthy in long run.

I type this left handed so i am sorta expert. Rehband is a quality manufacturer that makes durable stuff. Proved by 5 mm thickness which means non max power throws from the resistance in the material. These heavy duty braces are made for us injured people to be able to function at all. Meaning lots of compression and especially limitation of movement range. So count on losing easily 50'. Avery uses a sretchy thin fabric. It seems to stay in place unlike under the elbow medical braces. I have had thin both sides of the elbow sport braces that limited distance but were not tight enough to not slide out. Sizing is critical and i always seem to be in between. I have not found the kind of stretchy fabric band that digs into the forearm like the one Avery uses. I have looked in local sports and rehab stores and Amazon with no luck. Tell me if you find one.

Ya 5mm neoprene seems a bit much for what I want, that would make more sense for a slow, high sustained force like weigh training or crossfit lifts.

I might just use it for practice throwing then, that's really a much higher volume than competitions throw anyway, just as long is doesn't alter the way I through and make the technique different that it can't translate to competition. I thinking maybe a smaller lighter brace like these two would be the best candidates I found, both reported to be good for staying in place:

http://www.amazon.com/Copper-Elbow-Sleeve-Medium/dp/B00TT3046E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NC6VV0C?psc=1

only $20 so not as huge of an investment if it doesn't quite work out.

Those look thinner. From cycling in Lycra i know that four way stretching material is great for fitting and staying in place. The lower link product description has nice marketing words in it and if it works really like advertized great. Might have to get one for myself. No human testing has been performed to my knowledge but micro particles of metals like in odor control has been shown in animal testing to move inside cells where all manner of calamity can and has ensued. Like cancer. Doh!

The more restrictive the brace the slower the snap is and the timing is different. I am not saying it is impossible to learn better timing with the slower movements but the slowness also reduces the weight feel of the disc pressing against the fingers.

I bought Bort Epibasic Sport arm brace that stays n palce and helps against sore forearm. Because i cycle and throw a lot i am not in top shape most times i throw thanks to too little rest so i cannot say for sure if this brace effects distance or not just yet. in good rear wind i put a light Boss to 430' and an ESP 163 Nuke to 415' with less wind one day and on anothr two days i have lost some D. I am not willing to blame the brace just yet though. I feel no problems in putting, approaches and shorter drivers, FH, BH, roller trick shots you name it is not a problem.

I know I've been away for a while. But I'm back! I came here looking for this exact information. I injured my throwing arm and I was looking for a brace to get to keep it from getting re-injured while I get back with my game.
JR, you happen to know of any good stretches and rehab exercises to help with forearm/elbow injuries?

Laying the palm on the thigh grab the hand with other and pull up. Reverse the wrist motion of that. Twist the right hand counter clock wise and reverse for the left arm. Slight rolling if the wrists without going to extremes of the motion range later when the arm has a few days of healing behind it pushes the gunk out and puts fresh blood in bringing nutrients and oxygen to counter oxygen deprivation induced inflammation. Which is needed flr bacteria and virii to change overuse induced inflammation into dangerous stuff. Ice is a friend so 3-4 times a day with a towel to protect the skin against freezing is good. Slight movement is good for oxygenating the tissues and reducing swelling so raising the arm can be good and also mild shaking if the arm later on.

Thanks for the tips.
I will be using these. I want to get my game back and get playing tournaments again. It's been too long since I played a tournament :D

Note that these stretches are poison for carpal tunnel syndrome which can send pain to where tennis elbow troubles reside. The opposite can happen too. It took doctors almost 18 years after the work injury of my arm that sent me to surgery to also diagnose that i have carpal tunnel syndrome. I have had classic symptoms since the injury and only just now i got the diagnose. So i have helped one place with these stretches aggravating the other :evil: The moral of the story is to get a correct diagnosis.

The sad part is the surgeon who sent me to surgery. She measured the electrical conductivity of my forearm nerves with electrodes on the skin and saw oh he is not a head case after all there IS indeed something wrong. The same test can be done more accurately with sticking needles to various nerves which happened only 17 years late and found also a mild version of carpal tunnel syndrome. I have heard of poor results of surgical treatment earlier and the doc said they work well now. Not really for some from what i have read. I will try to cope as long as possible without surgery.

I play less now with the aggravated arm. It means more rest for the nerves and funnily enough with super little training i made a one round birdie personal record on my home course this week. I have been cycling more than throwing for three years. And this year with less cycling also less throwing with added pain. Oh well. At least i have gotten more quality cycling training going at higher power for shorter periods. Visibly more muscles in the legs and that cannot hurt throwing.

Latest posts